The Student Room Group

Why no discussion on Kevin Spacey and his alleged 'sexual advance'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
It's far from 'pretty certain' - Spacey met Rabb at a post-production party, they went to a nightclub where he was invited to a party at Spacey's apartment another night. Assuming Rabb didn't tell him his age, there's no reason why Spacey would know it.

Anthony Rapp is the ginger boy. This movie came out when he was 15 (so it's conceivable he was 14 when it was made)

I have great difficulty believing that Kevin Spacey mistook him for an adult.
Original post by Snufkin
There was no rape, they didn't have sex. Did you actually read what Rapp said? :dong:

Is that all you're quoting me about?? Rape, fondling, whatever, my point still stands that acorns is 100% wrong about why people are mad that he mentioned his sexuality. Your comment to me is irrelevant considering the crux of what I was clearly saying. Instead of nitpicking the semantics like you're ok with his allegations just because it's not rape tell your friend to get the facts straight before adding to a very important discussion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Trinculo

Anthony Rapp is the ginger boy. This movie came out when he was 15 (so it's conceivable he was 14 when it was made)

Well, I know a guy who looks very young but is actually 22. It happens. All I'm saying is that, given the circumstances, what Spacey did was understandable. People make drunken mistakes, but he is hardly a paedophile.

Original post by Salt Queen
Is that all you're quoting me about?? Rape, fondling, whatever, my point still stands that acorns is 100% wrong about why people are mad that he mentioned his sexuality. Your comment to me is irrelevant considering the crux of what I was clearly saying.

You said he raped someone, he didn't.
Original post by fallen_acorns
people are getting mad at kevin spacey for coming out..

how could he not?

He has refused to talk about his sexuality for years... this story, if he admits he could have done it = him coming out.

There is no way he can admit possible responsibility without also coming out, because admitting responsibility has the implicit meaning that he is gay/bi.

'Its certainly possible that I made advances on a guy' = I am bi/gay = not in the closet any more.

---

Its either deny it completly, which I am glad he did not do.. or admit possible responsibility, and accept that that means your sexuality is known to all.

Rapp is a slim/short man now and he didn't look 14 judging by pictures from the time - there's something decidedly wrong with that.
Original post by Trinculo

It's just disgusting that this guy is playing devils advocate for a child molester which is a form of rape. @Snufkin :rolleyes: you need to watch Open Secret. It's not a conspiracy that there are perverts in the world. I'm disgusted and outraged that people are not.
Original post by Snufkin
Well, I know a guy who looks very young but is actually 22. It happens. All I'm saying is that, given the circumstances, what Spacey did was understandable. People make drunken mistakes, but he is hardly a paedophile.

You said he raped someone, he didn't.

I said what I had to say to you when I tagged you just now. Refrain from quoting me again in this thread because I don't speak to people with your mentality and if you do quote me just to antagonise or spite me find yourself ignored.
I said what I had to say to you when I tagged you just now. Refrain from quoting me again in this thread because I don't speak to people with your mentality and if you do quote me just to antagonise or spite me find yourself ignored.

Go for it. But next time you accuse someone of rape, at least make sure intercourse took place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Before reading this, do not take it as in defence of Spacey. I wrote this out as a neutral piece.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin

it just shows the effects of too much alcohol has on someone.

Errrrm, What!?
Anyway @fallen_acorns ignoring snufkin diverting the situation with his incorrect interruption

I really am curious why you said what you did.
Original post by the beer
Errrrm, What!?

If I'm not mistaken both Rapp and Spacey said that he was inexcusably inebriated. If that was not the case, then my mistake. And I shall make corrections. :s-smilie:
If I'm not mistaken both Rapp and Spacey said that he was inexcusably inebriated. If that was not the case, then my mistake. And I shall make corrections. :s-smilie:

I'm sure he was, just confused because i've been inexcusably inebriated an awful lot but it's never had that effect on me.
I'm sure he was, just confused because i've been inexcusably inebriated an awful lot but it's never had that effect on me.

In general principle, it's referring to the fact that being that inebriated can make one do very stupid things. I'm not inferring that if you get drunk, you want to go lie down on the closest 14-year old.
(edited 6 years ago)
the fact that being that inebriated can make one do very stupid things.

nah, that's noncesense, alcohol doesn't make you do **** but vomit.
nah, that's noncesense, alcohol doesn't make you do **** but vomit.

I beg to differ massively. We're going to have to agree to disagree because being drunk can change your behaviour and that, in essence, is my point.
What are you talking about! No one is mad he came out. People are mad he is trying to gain support amid rape claims by making it about being gay to appease blind liberals and sjw's. That is *not* my wording, that is literally the discussion. They and the gay community dont like that he's using their advocates to distract from the fact that he's an animal. It also re-raises the strangely buried discussion of the correlations between pedopholia and being gay. It's a discussion that needs to happen and the gays dont want it.

no. That is what the 'liberals and sjw's' have presumed were his intentions behind coming out at the same time..

Without any admission from him, we don't know his reason for coming out.

Its been lept on by many suggesting it as a deflection technique, personally I view it as much more of a forced admission by someone who never wanted to come out but is now forced into admitting his sexuality.
I beg to differ massively. We're going to have to agree to disagree because being drunk can change your behaviour and that, in essence, is my point.

Sure, it can make you more open and relaxed but you are still in control of your actions!
Meh.Maybe if any of this actually had any proof i'd be more concerned.its one persons word against the other and both were probably drunk.Yet suddenly the guys a rapist and a peadophile? What happened to innocent till proven guilty? At best this is hearsay nothing more.People are very quick to come out with their allegations as soon as one person accuses one celebrity.If this guy is really so traumatised by it then why wait 20 odd years before saying anything?
Before reading this, do not take it as in defence of Spacey. I wrote this out as a neutral piece.

Spoiler

I have an alcoholic in my family who has done some horrendous things and used alcoholic to justify his actions. The "I was drunk, so I sexually assaulted a child" defence doesn't quite fly with me. It doesn't matter if he's a good actor, as everyone should be held to the same standard - that's what's wrong with society! The wording of the tweet was very much meant to deflect and I strongly suspect this wasn't an isolated incident. Spacey didn't deny it (and even apologised), which is as good as an admission. Perhaps he couldn't remember this particular incident because there have been so many in his life.
#GayPrivilege

Quick Reply

Latest