The Student Room Group

approaching roundabouts

Today I had a mock driving test. I got 4 minors but passed it. When he asked what i thought i could do better a couple of the things I said was approaching roundabouts but he didn't give me minors for it. How would you suggest to do it?

Would you stop at closed roundabouts or just move really slowly in 2nd and keep looking? Today I was approaching a mini roundabout in 2nd and had to break a bit sharply as a car suddenly appeared as i got there. so I think maybe I should've been in first gear just in case but sometimes even 5mph approaching the roundabout is a bit fast for 1st gear and the car can make a horrible sound and it isn't very smooth if you're going to go straight on to it. Suggestions?
Original post by A*my
Today I had a mock driving test. I got 4 minors but passed it. When he asked what i thought i could do better a couple of the things I said was approaching roundabouts but he didn't give me minors for it. How would you suggest to do it?

Would you stop at closed roundabouts or just move really slowly in 2nd and keep looking? Today I was approaching a mini roundabout in 2nd and had to break a bit sharply as a car suddenly appeared as i got there. so I think maybe I should've been in first gear just in case but sometimes even 5mph approaching the roundabout is a bit fast for 1st gear and the car can make a horrible sound and it isn't very smooth if you're going to go straight on to it. Suggestions?

Second gear is recommended by the highway code. Always be prepared to stop if a vehicle appears from the right. Pulling away in second is not a problem as long as you use the correct amount of accelerator and bring the clutch up more slowly. There should be no need to drop into first unless you are starting from a standstill.

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/changes-and-answers/-highway-code-for-roundabouts
Original post by A*my

This is a question for your instructor. It really depends upon the roundabout, e.g. from how far away you can see other traffic. Gear selection will depend upon what a safe approach speed is and the car (engine type, size and gearing).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending