The Student Room Group

A level Spanish

I'm currently doing AS Spanish, and I was wondering if anybody has any good resourced, particularly for vocab or vocab lists, and any tips they swear by to get the top grades?
what exam board
Original post by lordofthehumans
what exam board

We're doing WJEC but the specification is the same as AQA, so we use AQA resources and content.
Watch a lot of spanish films/series.
Try to read some spanish books if you can.
Have a few spanish quotes on your wall if you are studying a film or a book.
Just read spanish news from time to time to stay updated.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by curtiswinter1
I'm currently doing AS Spanish, and I was wondering if anybody has any good resourced, particularly for vocab or vocab lists, and any tips they swear by to get the top grades?

For grammar there is a great little book called 'An Essential Course in Modern Spanish' by H. Ramsden - well worth working through, especially for strange subjunctives and things like that.

For vocab, to be honest I didn't do that much, try to watch / listen to the news in Spanish online.

(Also make sure you prepare for the expose early in the second year, it really sneaks up on you!)
Original post by wightsnowolf
For grammar there is a great little book called 'An Essential Course in Modern Spanish' by H. Ramsden - well worth working through, especially for strange subjunctives and things like that.

For vocab, to be honest I didn't do that much, try to watch / listen to the news in Spanish online.

(Also make sure you prepare for the expose early in the second year, it really sneaks up on you!)

Okay thank you! I do have an AQA grammar book but I'll try that one aswell. Also, what's the expose?
Original post by wallflower ~
Watch a lot of spanish films/series.
Try to read some spanish books if you can.
Have a few spanish quotes on your wall if you are studying a film or a book.
Just read spanish news from time to time to stay updated.

Good luck :smile:

Okay thanks! Do you recommend any books or series?
We're doing WJEC but the specification is the same as AQA, so we use AQA resources and content.

i did aqa spanish as!!!! Basics there r hardly any resources online so I made full use of my aqa textbook cos it has all the content then i made these massive mindmaps which I used for oral practice so u get used to integrating facts with opinions when answering questions. Also start learning vocab early cos I didn't but I was lucky that I knew the stuff that came up. Use quizlet for vocab I made some chapters of the book into flashcards also buy Palabra por Palabra it's got snazzy phrases
i did aqa spanish as!!!! Basics there r hardly any resources online so I made full use of my aqa textbook cos it has all the content then i made these massive mindmaps which I used for oral practice so u get used to integrating facts with opinions when answering questions. Also start learning vocab early cos I didn't but I was lucky that I knew the stuff that came up. Use quizlet for vocab I made some chapters of the book into flashcards also buy Palabra por Palabra it's got snazzy phrases

Ooh ok thanks! I do have Palabra por Palabra and it is useful, but I find it is primarily phrases. I'll try the mindmap method! Are your quizlet flashcards public, if so what's your account?
(edited 6 years ago)

I just read newspaper articles that were related to the content we were doing, e.g. articles about racism when we studied it. -really good for vocab, you also see some new verbs and such
el pais was my go-to website
Original post by angrypoliceman
I just read newspaper articles that were related to the content we were doing, e.g. articles about racism when we studied it. -really good for vocab, you also see some new verbs and such
el pais was my go-to website

Okay thanks! I do have El País and it does have a lot of useful vocabulary.
https://quizlet.com/pringlesssssss made them public and got some useful vocab if u do volver as ur film study
https://quizlet.com/pringlesssssss made them public and got some useful vocab if u do volver as ur film study

I study Maria Llena Eres de Gracia but I'll have a look anyway!
Okay thank you! I do have an AQA grammar book but I'll try that one aswell. Also, what's the expose?

Ooh I just thought, you'll be on the new A level so you might not have it xD

The expose is / was a short presentation kinda thing we did as part of our oral exam, and then we had to discuss it afterwards. It was in the second year, I'm not sure if they've kept it in the new spec though...
Original post by wightsnowolf
Ooh I just thought, you'll be on the new A level so you might not have it xD

The expose is / was a short presentation kinda thing we did as part of our oral exam, and then we had to discuss it afterwards. It was in the second year, I'm not sure if they've kept it in the new spec though...

Oh ok, I'll find out

Quick Reply

Latest