The Student Room Group

Would you buy a car just before Uni and what was your first car?

Hi everybody, i know its better to not buy the car but if it was you, would you buy the car? and what car would you buy which one is best for the money
Why would it not be better to buy the car?
Reply 2
Original post by DarthRoar
Why would it not be better to buy the car?

Because you have to insure it for around £2,000 a year and around £100 a year for tax too.
Original post by wolto
Because you have to insure it for around £2,000 a year and around £100 a year for tax too.

Y'all can get insurance for a bit less than 2k. It all depends on how much money you have, if you and your family are poor then don't, but if you can afford then do.
Original post by wolto

Not to mention having somewhere to park it and a use for it. Would you take it to university with you? Are you able to? Do you even know which university you're going to?

For a typical level of student income (from debt), it seems extravagant, even wasteful.
I bought my car before uni (insurance was only £800) and took it with me, however parking is a big issue.

I was able to use my car for my job so it paid off for me but unless you're going to actually use it (more than driving to the shops once a week) then you probably should spend the money elsewhere
Reply 6
Original post by Jackieox
I bought my car before uni (insurance was only £800) and took it with me, however parking is a big issue.

I was able to use my car for my job so it paid off for me but unless you're going to actually use it (more than driving to the shops once a week) then you probably should spend the money elsewhere

Yeah that was what i was thinking, im currently taking my driving lessons but hopefully i will know if i need to buy one or not before UNi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending