The Student Room Group

What is your single most important piece of advice for getting As and A*s?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Have something to work for! You'll need a reason to keep revising when it gets most difficult, so get excited about what your next step offers you! I wouldn't have gotten my grades without a solid focus.
Original post by Travis_Scott
I know there’s a lot involved in learning, revising etc. but if you could somehow summarise it down or give a single best point, what would you say?

Don't let stress get to u , just be practical with revision instead of saying I can't just do it and lots of practice with mark schemes - you can do it since so many people before u already have 😂😎
Original post by Meg_26
Have something to work for! You'll need a reason to keep revising when it gets most difficult, so get excited about what your next step offers you! I wouldn't have gotten my grades without a solid focus.

Yeah, perhaps some sort of reminder somewhere about what will come from doing well?
Reply 23
Not sure if putting my phone in the freezer is the best idea!

He means turn off or put away your phone. Not literally freezing it. :smile:
Don't spend hours making pretty pink and purple notes, then moving on to coloured flashcards. Choose which subjects/topics your class notes won't do for. It is SO much more effective to revise by summarising a4 class notes throughout your folder (chucking it in the bin and re-summarising when you revise the topic) than spending weeks doing pretty little notes, then looking at the prettiness. Write them out, doesn't need to be pretty and summarising long-winded class notes helps as you're doing something with the information.
Original post by miss_ambitious
He means turn off or put away your phone. Not literally freezing it.

Yes I know that hahaha I was joking
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eviebrizzle
Don't spend hours making pretty pink and purple notes, then moving on to coloured flashcards. Choose which subjects/topics your class notes won't do for. It is SO much more effective to revise by summarising a4 class notes throughout your folder (chucking it in the bin and re-summarising when you revise the topic) than spending weeks doing pretty little notes, then looking at the prettiness. Write them out, doesn't need to be pretty and summarising long-winded class notes helps as you're doing something with the information.

This is helpful, cheers!
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
I would say condensing notes and exam practise to ensure ur knowledge is on point

Cheers for the advice!
Balance, it's all about balance. Make sure you have time to have fun, don't spend all your time revising because you'll stress yourself out.
Reply 29
Look at the syllabus and make sure you know exactly everything on it because then you will know everything that could possibly come up in the exam. Also lots of past papers so you know how to apply the knowledge well.
Revision early on
Original post by TheBirder
Write the same answer as the one on the mark scheme in your final exams.

Why didn’t I think of this before?!
Original post by Atlas99
Revision early on

Yeah I’ve already started a little
Original post by crocodile_ears
Balance, it's all about balance. Make sure you have time to have fun, don't spend all your time revising because you'll stress yourself out.

That’s a good point, cheers
Okay cheers, I’ll let you know if it works for me.

I said I’ll let you know and it’s sick, really been helping, cheers!
I said I’ll let you know and it’s sick, really been helping, cheers!

You're welcome! What A levels are you doing?
Reply 36
past papers
Work smart, not hard.

Also, if you have controlled assessments, take them seriously!! They could mean the difference between a B and an A.
Original post by ron weasleys
Work smart, not hard.

Also, if you have controlled assessments, take them seriously!! They could mean the difference between a B and an A.

How do you work smart?
Original post by Atlas99
How do you work smart?

Well if you know for sure that something will be on the paper, learn the s*it out of that topic. Eg. The nitrogen cycle comes up every year on my exam board gcse, so I learnt that really well.

Also, this can only really apply to essay subjects (at least I've only applied them to essay subs) but try and predict what will come up on the exam. Eg. For English Lit, if a character or theme came up in the last year, or has been asked for a number of years, then it's unlikely to come up this year. So then you can focus your revision on other characters/themes. I don't know how this works for stem subjects, but you get the idea.

Also plan out any revision days topic by topic, and allocate certain times for each.

Here's a link, and a google search will go into more detail than I have

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/5-scientifically-proven-ways-to-work-smarter-not-harder-tues.html

Quick Reply

Latest