The Student Room Group

Sick of not getting far in job hunt - depression

Okay, so I am already in a job (in an unskilled sector but want out of it). I'm not unskilled or lacking in my education. I have the right skill-sets for the jobs I apply too (perhaps not that strong with experience, but have some).

I have a degree, and also studying for a Master's Degree, while working Full Time, and running the house (with my meagre wage).

I spend a couple of hours crafting cover letters, re-do my CV like a million times. I put in the effort, and get nothing.

Now, my partner, who is unemployed has been job hunting for months (I've been job hunting longer but for grad roles), has been largely unsuccessful.

However, I recently passed her some details of a hiring manager who is related to someone I worked with - my intention for me and her to get a job - so that she and I can apply.

Today, I spent an hour doing a CV and cover letter.

I expected a phone call or an email back. Perhaps not today but sometime soon.
Just got off the phone and my partner got a call back off them, and I didn't.

Long story short, her email was pretty plain jane and quick. They literally fast tracked her to interview. Me I got nothing.

I'm pleased for my partner, but starting to question my abilities. I've been applying for roles since 2015 (on and off), had less than 10 interviews; applied for probably hundreds of roles. Yet I'm unsuccessful.

I'm becoming more and more jaded, and bitter about the free market and capitalism as a whole. Maybe its me?

I'm quite an articulate guy, and always put 110% in my cover letter, CV yet it gets me nowhere. I don't feel I come off as pretentious; however I know employers like brevity.

I don't have much brevity. Maybe I should be more straightforward and avoid selling myself as much? But then that isn't who I am is it...

Any advice?
Reply 1
Some times it's not your cv that lands you the job, but the way you sell yourself, try a different approach at interviews
Reply 2
Dont worry about it mate. Job hunting is just a numbers game, keep at and learn from your approach and perfect it each time. Keep a positive attitude. I understand what type of person you are. You will land a job trust me.
Reply 3
Original post by Itsthe
Some times it's not your cv that lands you the job, but the way you sell yourself, try a different approach at interviews

On this occasion I haven't even got to interview.

This is purely me sending an email to the hiring manager, like my partner did. Difference is she got the call, I didn't.

If I can't land non-grad roles what chance have I got for a more skilled role?
Reply 4
Original post by Man212
Dont worry about it mate. Job hunting is just a numbers game, keep at and learn from your approach and perfect it each time. Keep a positive attitude. I understand what type of person you are. You will land a job trust me.

Yeah, I'm just a bit annoyed, because the reason I found out about the job was because an ex-colleague of mine saw a rant I had on Facebook about personal finances and struggling - sent me a message and said: "here you are mate, jobs going here, email [this person], shes my cousin and works in recruitment team"

I gave my partner the details, as she's been after a job for months, and I've been up to my eyeballs with bills to pay and not getting paid enough to offset cost of living.

I'm studying for a Master's, I am working Full Time, I am a hard worker, I am articulate and intelligent. I spend hours on my applications, outside work and study.

She sends one email off that is pretty brief with minimal effort, and gets progressed.

I honestly dont get it mate.

I've been searching for graduate roles in my field since the summer of 2015. Unfortunately I settled for an unskilled job at McD until I found something. But instead, I can't even get any job. This led me onto retraining and doing a Master's in a more in demand subject. I've gained more interest since, but still nothing worthwhile.

I dunno what to do. I'm starting to feel like I want to rip my hair out.

Life is so unfair (honestly).
Reply 5
If you apply for jobs found on Reed and other agency websites, you should do it on the day (or at worst the next day) the advert is released. All the times I've had an answer from them I had applied immediately.

Then if you have an internet presence (professional or academic achievements), you should add links to your works to your CV. I've been told by my current boss that it was the decisive point of my application.

Try to search for jobs offered by large organisations, especially administrations, because they do not always advertise their jobs properly. Search directly on their website.

You should also be ready to move. It's much more difficult to get a job if you want to stay in your city.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I'm just a bit annoyed, because the reason I found out about the job was because an ex-colleague of mine saw a rant I had on Facebook about personal finances and struggling - sent me a message and said: "here you are mate, jobs going here, email [this person], shes my cousin and works in recruitment team"

I gave my partner the details, as she's been after a job for months, and I've been up to my eyeballs with bills to pay and not getting paid enough to offset cost of living.

I'm studying for a Master's, I am working Full Time, I am a hard worker, I am articulate and intelligent. I spend hours on my applications, outside work and study.

She sends one email off that is pretty brief with minimal effort, and gets progressed.

I honestly dont get it mate.

I've been searching for graduate roles in my field since the summer of 2015. Unfortunately I settled for an unskilled job at McD until I found something. But instead, I can't even get any job. This led me onto retraining and doing a Master's in a more in demand subject. I've gained more interest since, but still nothing worthwhile.

I dunno what to do. I'm starting to feel like I want to rip my hair out.

Life is so unfair (honestly).

I get it mate. It sure is. Dont give up! Dont let yourself down, else they win. Keep at it im sure you will get a job!! Right now you have to become a working macchine and take massive action. Turn your emotions off until you reach where your destination is. Work by cold hard logic, nothing else. Everything else is a distraction. You WILL make it !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending