The Student Room Group

Tory Sleaze

New findings have shown that the extent of sexual harassment in parliament, especially within the Tory party. Names include Mark Garnier and Stephen Crabb, who are listed in a so called 'dirty dossier'. What are your thoughts on this new scandal?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cabinet-minister-woman-nda-sexual-harassment-dirty-dossier-tory-party-conservative-mps-theresa-may-a8029616.html

Scroll to see replies

It's just the latest fad. Probably won't even last as long as fidget spinners
Original post by Trinculo

I don't think we should brush over these problems so quickly...
And this is turning out to be a total non story, the list is filled with "victims" who publicly say they are not victims and have good relationships with their alleged abuser, MPs who are publicly in relationships, and allegations that came out years ago.
Reply 4
The notion that this is exclusive to the Tories is as naive as it is stupid.

However, the Fallon case has clearly been blown out of all proportions by those with the keys to outrage wagon.
Original post by Jammy Duel
And this is turning out to be a total non story, the list is filled with "victims" who publicly say they are not victims and have good relationships with their alleged abuser, MPs who are publicly in relationships, and allegations that came out years ago.

Oh of course the rich and power get a pass to do inappropriate behaviour and get away scot free.
Original post by Drewski
The notion that this is exclusive to the Tories is as naive as it is stupid.

However, the Fallon case has clearly been blown out of all proportions by those with the keys to outrage wagon.

You must agree the problem is greater on the Tory benches.
Reply 7
Original post by JMR2017

Why "must" I? Because it suits you?
Original post by JMR2017
Oh of course the rich and power get a pass to do inappropriate behaviour and get away scot free.

They don't though, Mark Menzies (from a disadvantaged background) and Stephen Crabb (also from a disadvantaged background) both resigned their positions 3 and 1 year ago respectively for what has landed them in the dossier, of those who are left where identities are known they are either backbenchers or their only crime is having the audacity to be going out with somebody, the only exception to that being Fallon with his "victim" having no complaints what so ever, Hartley-Brewer acted like an adult telling Fallon not to touch her, accepted his apology, and put it behind her.
Reply 9
Original post by JMR2017

Except the news now is that it's a Labour party official who - allegedly - committed rape and then the - alleged - victim was informed by the party not to tell anyone or report it.

Going to mention that any time soon?
Original post by JMR2017
I don't think we should brush over these problems so quickly...

It is just the latest dumb fad. Not so long ago it was gender fluidity, before that it was Jeremy Corbyn the absolute boy, before that it was MPs expenses, before that it was being Anonymous....it just goes on. This thing of accusing any old person of very minor historic transgressions - some of which aren't even criminal - people will get bored of it soon and move on to the next new thing.
Reply 11
If you think it's clever making a party political point about this, all I can say is wait a few weeks and see how it looks then...
Original post by L i b
If you think it's clever making a party political point about this, all I can say is wait a few weeks and see how it looks then...

Ok
Original post by L i b

Indeed totally *******s it will be across all parties, it’s already been quoted it all parties, both sexes and young and old.
Original post by JMR2017

Yeah.. you might want to wait a while before you jump on a bandwagon.

Original post by Rakas21
Yeah.. you might want to wait a while before you jump on a bandwagon.

It was concerning seeing how far people would go to dismiss the story, including accusing the BBC of bias for not focusing on the "dirty dossier" who at the time named only people where the dirt was already public or where it wasn't really dirt (and was already public)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do think it will come out that very many more male Tory MPs are involved than any other group - it goes with the profile. Most leading Tories have to be fairly unpleasant people as a base fact, given that they are supporting pure self-interest, greed and the defence of the interests of the rich as an organised force. When you add to that the arrogance and lies that most of them seem to have as an operational norm, then it's only a small step to sexual intimidation as well.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It was concerning seeing how far people would go to dismiss the story, including accusing the BBC of bias for not focusing on the "dirty dossier" who at the time named only people where the dirt was already public or where it wasn't really dirt (and was already public)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really that surprised? Labour have become the new UKIP in that regard.
Original post by Trinculo

Agreed. It is ridiculous
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I do think it will come out that very many more male Tory MPs are involved than any other group - it goes with the profile. Most leading Tories have to be fairly unpleasant people as a base fact, given that they are supporting pure self-interest, greed and the defence of the interests of the rich as an organised force. When you add to that the arrogance and lies that most of them seem to have as an operational norm, then it's only a small step to sexual intimidation as well.

The state of this....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending