The Student Room Group

Why do parents always think that you owe them something?

I don't know about you, but I feel like parents always think that you owe them something, especially my dad, he always makes me feel like I owe him something because he (barely) raised me. And I just wanted to say, parents, please stop thinking that you're children owe you for raising them. Please. If you are having an argument, please don't bring up " I clothe you, feed you, send you to school" and all that nonsense, like, those are things that you are required to do, by law for your children, if you are financially able. This is not the child's fault. The child in question never asked to be born, no one ever asks to be born, so don't try to make the child feel guilty, simply for being born, and receiving everything that, by law, it should receive from its parents. Please, don't guilt trip your children. So, I just wanted to ask, why do you do this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 15vanan
I don't know about you, but I feel like parents always think that you owe them something, especially my dad, he always makes me feel like I owe him something because he (barely) raised me. And I just wanted to say, parents, please stop thinking that you're children owe you for raising them. Please. If you are having an argument, please don't bring up " I clothe you, feed you, send you to school" and all that nonsense, like, those are things that you are required to do, by law for your children, if you are financially able. This is not the child's fault. The child in question never asked to be born, no one ever asks to be born, so don't try to make the child feel guilty, simply for being born, and receiving everything that, by law, it should receive from its parents. Please, don't guilt trip your children. So, I just wanted to ask, why do you do this?

You didn't get any discipline did you?

Yes, you do owe your parents for raising you. The fact that the legal system protected you is irrelevant.
Wow, have you read that back to yourself? you wouldnt be alive without your parents, show some respect
Original post by 15vanan

....and then everyone clapped.
Honestly, how disrespectful are you to your parents? After everything they do for you, you say this... shameful
You rascal, if they'd let you swim in your pee and didn't care for you and raise you to get this far, you'd been a whole different story right now. Appreciate their effort(however small) because pricks that grow up to utter the words that you just did could have been a real bother after birth. :colonhash:
Why’s everyone getting butthurt over a post? :rolleyes:
I actually semi-agree, parents claiming "I clothe and feed my child" isn't something that deserves repayment or a medal - it was your choice to have a child, after all.

However, what they do deserve, as your parents, is respect. I know my mum sacrificed a lot to make sure I was raised properly and I now like to make sure my mum doesn't go without anything now she's no longer able to work and I'm financially able to support her in her times of need.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not going to respond like the others here.

To be honest, I sometimes have the same feelings whenever my parents and I get into an argument and (usually) my mom brings this up; I get so pissed but then I remember that I actually do owe them, not for the fact that I'm alive, I had no choice there, but because your parents do care for you and raise you. So, cool down, if you just got into an argument, and think; don't say anything to them, that will just piss you off more but apologise to them in your head and try to avoid getting into arguments with them where they have to bring this up.
Reply 9
Original post by AppleB

When you carry a bugger in your lady sack for nine months and spend sleepless nights trying to shush it to sleep causing you to look like a koala bear due to lack of sleep and it grows up to say "Why do our parents think we owe them?", you'll be more than butthurt :colonhash:
Not that I've carried any..
Original post by AppleB

It's not over a post but the attitude... If he said this to his parents, I wouldn't be mad but considering he comes here and says this crap is ridiculous.
Reply 11
Original post by BurstChaos
I'm not going to respond like the others here.

To be honest, I sometimes have the same feelings whenever my parents and I get into an argument and (usually) my mom brings this up; I get so pissed but then I remember that I actually do owe them, not for the fact that I'm alive, I had no choice there, but because your parents do care for you and raise you. So, cool down, if you just got into an argument, and think; don't say anything to them, that will just piss you off more but apologise to them in your head and try to avoid getting into arguments with them where they have to bring this up.

Thanks, I was really angry at my dad. And I do appreciate everything that my parents have done for me, and I did not intend to seem ungrateful, but I just wanted say that my dad hasn't actually "raised me". He hasn't been there for me, emotionally, physically, or financially.
Original post by AppleB

Lol this guy called op a rascal
😂😂

Original post by Anonymous
You rascal, if they'd let you swim in your pee and didn't care for you and raise you to get this far, you'd been a whole different story right now. Appreciate their effort(however small) because pricks that grow up to utter the words that you just did could have been a real bother after birth. :colonhash:
Original post by DrawTheLine
How can you be so ungrateful?

I don't think it's right to disrespect your parents and siblings publicly like op is doing but to presume that anyone's family did anything for them to call them ungrateful is wrong and patronising.
Original post by Salt Queen
Lol this guy called op a rascal
😂😂

:rofl:
Couldn't help it. :redface:
Reply 15
Original post by Hamoody
When you carry a bugger in your lady sack for nine months and spend sleepless nights trying to shush it to sleep causing you to look like a koala bear due to lack of sleep and it grows up to say "Why do our parents think we owe them?", you'll be more than butthurt :colonhash:
Not that I've carried any..

Again, no offense, and I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but that child never asked to be born
Original post by 15vanan

Your dad could’ve pulled out. Be grateful he didn’t.
Reply 17
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I actually semi-agree, parents claiming "I clothe and feed my child" isn't something that deserves repayment or a medal - it was your choice to have a child, after all.

However, what they do deserve, as your parents, is respect. I know my mum sacrificed a lot to make sure I was raised properly and I now like to make sure my mum doesn't go without anything now she's no longer able to work and I'm financially able to support her in her times of need.

I completley agree with you, this was the point I was trying to make, but I have appeared ungrateful in this process. I am sorry if I have appeared ungrateful, that was not my attention, I respect my mother for everything she has done for me, that was the message I was trying to send, not that I wasn't grateful
Original post by 15vanan
Again, no offense, and I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but that child never asked to be born

Now that he/she is alive, would they want to end their life simply because they didn't ask to be born? :rolleyes:
Original post by alain22
You didn't get any discipline did you?

Yes, you do owe your parents for raising you. The fact that the legal system protected you is irrelevant.

Its not irrelevant.If you have a kid then the minimum you do is look after it and raise it.You dont get extra points for that.Thats just what you do.You bring a child into the world you look after it.You shouldnt expect gratitude for that.Thats just being the minimum level of a decent human being.

Latest

Trending

Trending