The Student Room Group

Why no discussion on Kevin Spacey and his alleged 'sexual advance'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinculo
With celebrities, it's a very simple formula.

If your work product is looked upon favourably by a large number of people and you are successful and relatively attractive - it's pretty much a certainty that you can get away with almost anything. Your fans will simply make excuses for you, and if enough people say that the allegations against you are lies...you're home free.

If your work product is marginal, you have limited supporters and you're objectively unattractive - well you've had it.

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville, Gary Glitter - not a huge body of work, not a huge body of devoted fans = guilty, perverted criminals.

Michael Jackson, Bill Wyman, Bill Clinton - huge numbers of supporters, long track record = misunderstood, victims or circumstance or media lies.

Simply put, if you take allegations at face value - where is multiple Oscar winner Kevin Spacey? Is he closer to Rolf Harris or Michael Jackson in terms of profile? That's where his case will probably go.

Kevin Spacey remains in my mind one of the greatest actors alive and I could not give two shits what some jumped up attention seeker decided to do to get their 15 minutes. Or in this case, probably jealous that he'll never be as good as Mr Kevin Spacey.
Original post by Snufkin

It's also worth noting that Rapp was the one who went into Spacey's bedroom during the party. It's not hard to imagine a drunk Spacey coming upstairs after everyone had left to find an (attractive? :dontknow:) young guy sitting on his bed. He made a move, Rapp did not reciprocate, so he left.

Did he just 'make a move' in that kind of slightly innocent-sounding way? It sounds from Rapp's description more like Spacey forced him into a position where he could rape him. I suspect that there will be many more allegations about Spacey emerging shortly, as he is sure to have done this kind of thing a lot.

The worst thing about it is Spacey's linking it with being gay, as if to say that the standard stereotype that gay men are paedophiles is somehow correct. This false correlation is widely used in gay-bashing countries like Russia, Poland and others and is preached by right wing fundamentalists in the US. It's hard to understand why Spacey, an obviously very clever and sensitive man, would distort things like that, other than perhaps out of a desire to try to divert the story down a different and wrong path, whilst cynically exploiting his gay/bi identity and disregarding the effect that would have on other gay men. Pretty bloody obnoxious.

I won't be watching the now-final Season Six of House of Cards. :nah:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Did he just 'make a move' in that kind of slightly innocent-sounding way? It sounds from Rapp's description more like Spacey forced him into a position where he could rape him. I suspect that there will be many more allegations about Spacey emerging shortly, as he is sure to have done this kind of thing a lot.

The worst thing about it is Spacey's linking it with being gay, as if to say that the standard stereotype that gay men are paedophiles is somehow correct. This false correlation is widely used in gay-bashing countries like Russia, Poland and others and is preached by right wing fundamentalists in the US. It's hard to understand why Spacey, an obviously very clever and sensitive man, would distort things like that, other than perhaps out of a desire to try to divert the story down a different and wrong path, whilst cynically exploiting his gay/bi identity and disregarding the effect that would have on other gay men. Pretty bloody obnoxious.

Or in the words of Frank Underwood : "I don't care, I don't care, *I* *don't* *care*"
Reply 43

Looks like there won't be a Season 6 anyway.

BBC News : Kevin Spacey: Netflix halts House of Cards production - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41824948

Posted from TSR Mobile
With celebrities, it's a very simple formula.

If your work product is looked upon favourably by a large number of people and you are successful and relatively attractive - it's pretty much a certainty that you can get away with almost anything. Your fans will simply make excuses for you, and if enough people say that the allegations against you are lies...you're home free.

If your work product is marginal, you have limited supporters and you're objectively unattractive - well you've had it.

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville, Gary Glitter - not a huge body of work, not a huge body of devoted fans = guilty, perverted criminals.

Michael Jackson, Bill Wyman, Bill Clinton - huge numbers of supporters, long track record = misunderstood, victims or circumstance or media lies.

Simply put, if you take allegations at face value - where is multiple Oscar winner Kevin Spacey? Is he closer to Rolf Harris or Michael Jackson in terms of profile? That's where his case will probably go.

There is literally no prove for MJ. Even the original accusers admitted they were lying. People need to stop spreading this myth.

Well, that's what it sounded like to me. I might be wrong, but we don't know how it happened, Spacey says even he doesn't know. I'd like some more details before I join in with the condemnation.

I'm gutted about HoC... although the last season was a bit crap. Maybe Robin Wright could carry on as sole lead, her character seems more interesting anyway.
Reply 46
I'm still wondering what young teenagers were doing in adult parties in Hollywood, like in the Roman Polanski case.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by edd522
I'm still wondering what young teenagers were doing in adult parties in Hollywood, like in the Roman Polanski case.

The Hollywood paedos need easy access to them, there’s a deep ingrained culture of this and the casting couch in Hollywood, people have talked about this stuff but as post 3 says people are happy to ignore it.
Original post by edd522

Original post by joecphillips
The Hollywood paedos need easy access to them, there’s a deep ingrained culture of this and the casting couch in Hollywood, people have talked about this stuff but as post 3 says people are happy to ignore it.

If I was under 18 again and someone offered me a large amount of money to sleep with them, I would.

I still would now, just no one offering lol.

Seriously, these people aren't abusers, abuse is when it's not a quid pro quo transaction
Original post by Snufkin
Well, that's what it sounded like to me. I might be wrong, but we don't know how it happened, Spacey says even he doesn't know. I'd like some more details before I join in with the condemnation.

I'm gutted about HoC... although the last season was a bit crap. Maybe Robin Wright could carry on as sole lead, her character seems more interesting anyway.

I have seen no mention of rape or attempted rape yet so a TSR first, Always full of surprises as usual. If there has been a crime, then they should investigate and charge. bet it was a shock for all those people working on HoC and now out of a job. How things change. I didnt even realise KS needed to declare himself as gay as he didnt make a secret of it.

Even more bizarre they have issued an arrest warrant for Rose McGowan on a drugs charge dating back to January as they found traces on items she left behind on a flight. Weird they would even test.
Original post by Jibola240
There is literally no prove for MJ. Even the original accusers admitted they were lying. People need to stop spreading this myth.

Michael Jackson was a sick paedophile. End of.
Michael Jackson was a sick paedophile. End of.

Allegedly.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Allegedly.

Who cares? He's worm food now. Call him what you like.
Who cares? He's worm food now. Call him what you like.

You are the one arguing about it.
Original post by 999tigger
I have seen no mention of rape or attempted rape yet so a TSR first, Always full of surprises as usual. If there has been a crime, then they should investigate and charge. bet it was a shock for all those people working on HoC and now out of a job. How things change. I didnt even realise KS needed to declare himself as gay as he didnt make a secret of it.

Even more bizarre they have issued an arrest warrant for Rose McGowan on a drugs charge dating back to January as they found traces on items she left behind on a flight. Weird they would even test.

Investigate and charge? Sure. The NY statute of limitations is probably about 5 years for this kind of thing. So only 25 years too late.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You are the one arguing about it.

I know. That's why I'm saying it's cool to call Michael Jackson a sick paedophile.
I know. That's why I'm saying it's cool to call Michael Jackson a sick paedophile.

Well you know what they say. Speak ill of the dead.
Original post by 999tigger

So if it's not an attempted rape, how would you class a grown man trying to force sex onto a 14-year old? Do you think it's consensual or something? Quite worried about you if you do.

Spacey should be investigated by the police, there can be no doubt that he was engaged in a paedophile sexual assault.
What do you mean "no discussion"?

It has been everywhere in the news. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Original post by edd522

It was a different era and child actors seemed to have very little protection. That doesn't excuse the fact that adults took advantage of them though and children have been routinely abused in others ways. The whole environment needs a complete overhaul, but I'm sure it will be business as usual after a month or two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending