The Student Room Group

Psychology research methods!!!!!!

I'm finding it extremely difficult to understand the statistical tests e.g. Mann whitney, Pearsons r, will coxon, chi squared etcetc

I can't seem to identify which one to use when an aim is given :frown:

And I can't seem to remember which is ordinal, interval, nominal and which is independent and not independent :frown:(
Reply 1
YOOOOO
Reply 2
Reply 3
i give up.
Original post by soIiIoquy
I'm finding it extremely difficult to understand the statistical tests e.g. Mann whitney, Pearsons r, will coxon, chi squared etcetc

I can't seem to identify which one to use when an aim is given :frown:

And I can't seem to remember which is ordinal, interval, nominal and which is independent and not independent :frown:(

Are you doing AQA psychology?
And good luck with stats lol, but honestly they're not that bad! It takes a while to get for nearly everyone but after a while you get the hang of it. Ask your teacher for help if you still can't get it after a while.

In terms of remembering all the stats tests my advice would be to make associations, for example with Chi square my teacher gave the idea that China is an independent country + lots of iindividuals (independent measures design + nominal data)
Are you on AQA or OCR? I've done the bit about nominal and ordinal and all that, my teacher picked on me to put them right and I got every single one wrong. I fully guessed because I couldn't remember. But now I remember them. Go to quizlet, I;ve made a set after that little nightmare ahah
https://quizlet.com/236580621/psych-research-data-flash-cards/
Good luck, sorry I'm not sure about the other half of your question. I'd suggest speaking to your teacher, better to do it now than later although s/he will applaud you for reaching out.
Reply 6
Original post by X_Hope_X
Are you doing AQA psychology?
And good luck with stats lol, but honestly they're not that bad! It takes a while to get for nearly everyone but after a while you get the hang of it. Ask your teacher for help if you still can't get it after a while.

In terms of remembering all the stats tests my advice would be to make associations, for example with Chi square my teacher gave the idea that China is an independent country + lots of iindividuals (independent measures design + nominal data)

AQA exam board :smile: it's so hard, like i can calculate it on the specific graph but I can't seem to identify the type of test I need :/

and im hella confused with the types of data like interval, nominal and ordinal :/
Reply 7
Original post by Skeletonclique21
Are you on AQA or OCR? I've done the bit about nominal and ordinal and all that, my teacher picked on me to put them right and I got every single one wrong. I fully guessed because I couldn't remember. But now I remember them. Go to quizlet, I;ve made a set after that little nightmare ahah
https://quizlet.com/236580621/psych-research-data-flash-cards/
Good luck, sorry I'm not sure about the other half of your question. I'd suggest speaking to your teacher, better to do it now than later although s/he will applaud you for reaching out.

AQA, i'll check the link

Thank you though :smile:
Original post by soIiIoquy
AQA, i'll check the link

Thank you though :smile:

You're welcome, if you need to edit them, let me know and I'll give you the password to do that
There are many YouTube videos on this and they're really helpful! And they're also AQA so yeah

Quick Reply

Latest