The Student Room Group

Revision on weekends!!

Hi, year 12/13 students, when people say they revise for like 6-8 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on weekends (for e.g.) are they telling the truth because if you have already covered everything in the weekdays, what do they do on weekends???
If you revise on weekdays and weekends, what do you revise on weekends if you have already covered everything in the weekdays, do you just ready over your notes, do further questions etc? :smile:
(I know I've said weekends/weekdays many times)
anyone :smile:
Original post by GCSE 9
anyone :smile:

I mean for A-levels yes, but not for GCSE's.
What did you get in your GCSE's? I also want to do medicine and I looked through your other posts so I might be of some help. I am in Year 12.
Original post by GCSE 9
Hi, year 12/13 students, when people say they revise for like 6-8 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on weekends (for e.g.) are they telling the truth because if you have already covered everything in the weekdays, what do they do on weekends???
If you revise on weekdays and weekends, what do you revise on weekends if you have already covered everything in the weekdays, do you just ready over your notes, do further questions etc? :smile:
(I know I've said weekends/weekdays many times)

I don't know anyone who admits to doing that much revision, but I am aware some people do work that much. A Levels wouldn't really be surprising, though 6-8 hours 7 days a week is quite a lot, maybe an exaggeration?
Original post by Ukvoltaire
What did you get in your GCSE's? I also want to do medicine and I looked through your other posts so I might be of some help. I am in Year 12.

1A* 4A 4B 1C :smile: Yr12
Original post by Nathan Scott
I don't know anyone who admits to doing that much revision, but I am aware some people do work that much. A Levels wouldn't really be surprising, though 6-8 hours 7 days a week is quite a lot, maybe an exaggeration?

I want to get 4A's at AS, so do I have to work long hours?
Original post by GCSE 9
1A* 4A 4B 1C :smile: Yr12

Not bad. I got 3A* 5A 3B. I think you can apply for medicine with those grades. Hopefully the C isn't in any science or maths though. Remember that medicine requires a good set of A-level results of around AAA, so I suggest spend as much time as you can at home revising. Also practice really hard for your admissions tests, whether is BMAT or UKCAT.
Hope this helps.

Also check out my 'Grow Your Grades' Thread for this year. It might be interesting for you to see: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=74349426&highlight=
Original post by GCSE 9

Yes, start revision straight away, right now. It doesn't have to be high intensity, but make sure you have revision material ready for later on in the year.

I didn't do this last year (I'm in Y13) and it certainly affected my grades, this year I've started revision early on and it really does help.
Original post by GCSE 9

Wait hasn't the A-levels changed now. I mean don't our year just do A-level exams now at the end of Year 13.
Original post by Nathan Scott
Yes, start revision straight away, right now. It doesn't have to be high intensity, but make sure you have revision material ready for later on in the year.

I didn't do this last year (I'm in Y13) and it certainly affected my grades, this year I've started revision early on and it really does help.

(If free periods count lol) I do 6 hours everyday, and I've already started since september, but I do no revision on weekends (that's what I'm going to change) My revision does pay off because I got the highest score in my biology test, so yh your right :wink:
Original post by Ukvoltaire
Wait hasn't the A-levels changed now. I mean don't our year just do A-level exams now at the end of Year 13.

I meant mock exams, "internal"
Original post by GCSE 9
I meant mock exams, "internal"

Oh yeah. Same. I think they are the exams that determine our predicted grades. What A-levels do you do? I do Maths, Biology and Chemistry (Just dropped Physics recently).
Yeah, I do at times because I do further reading which is set for students with high targets and I like to keep on top of my workload. But not much. Don't let this stress you out, but make sure you are doing enough work to get you where you need to be though
Original post by Skeletonclique21
Yeah, I do at times because I do further reading which is set for students with high targets and I like to keep on top of my workload. But not much. Don't let this stress you out, but make sure you are doing enough work to get you where you need to be though

What further reading do you do?
Original post by GCSE 9
What further reading do you do?

I read magazine articles on the review (Hodder) magazines that most subjects have I think and they're aimed at a level students. I pick the relevant article, read it and summarise it into 200 words or so. it doesn't take too long and is supposed to help. However, subscriptions can be pricey so our school pays for them. You can get free snippets online though
Original post by Skeletonclique21
I read magazine articles on the review (Hodder) magazines that most subjects have I think and they're aimed at a level students. I pick the relevant article, read it and summarise it into 200 words or so. it doesn't take too long and is supposed to help. However, subscriptions can be pricey so our school pays for them. You can get free snippets online though

Is the biological sciences magazine wider reading?
Original post by GCSE 9
Is the biological sciences magazine wider reading?

I think so yeah

Quick Reply

Latest