The Student Room Group

gap year

when youre on a gap year, can you still get a teacher from your old school to write your reference and send off the application? does that mean youre applying through the school or independently? because i am not retaking my a levels at my school but at a private exam centre, my school didnt let me retake there
You would be applying independently but you have to contact your school who will supply you with your references and you submit them yourself. This happened to me when I applied for a part time degree 4 years after leaving school
Original post by itsyrt
when youre on a gap year, can you still get a teacher from your old school to write your reference and send off the application? does that mean youre applying through the school or independently? because i am not retaking my a levels at my school but at a private exam centre, my school didnt let me retake there

You need to ask your old school.

They might be willing to provide a reference. They might be willing to provide predictions. If they are willing then they’ll tell you whether to apply individually or through them.

If you apply individually to start with you can change to a centre later but you can’t swap the other way around.
Original post by itsyrt

Ask but their discretion. Still independent candidate.
Original post by PQ
You need to ask your old school.

They might be willing to provide a reference. They might be willing to provide predictions. If they are willing then they’ll tell you whether to apply individually or through them.

If you apply individually to start with you can change to a centre later but you can’t swap the other way around.

What does applying individually mean?
if you apply individually does it mean that a teacher can still write the reference for you and predictions?
Original post by itsyrt
What does applying individually mean?
if you apply individually does it mean that a teacher can still write the reference for you and predictions?

It means you provide your referees details and they add them individually.

With a school application referees will have all the school applications to add references to.
Original post by PQ
It means you provide your referees details and they add them individually.

With a school application referees will have all the school applications to add references to.

is it true that you have to request the school to write you a reference through UCAS?? can't a teacher just write one for you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Ask but their discretion. Still independent candidate.

is it true that you have to request the school to write you a reference through UCAS?? can't a teacher just write one for you
Original post by itsyrt

You can and should ask your referee if they’re willing to provide a reference directly before you request the actual reference through apply.

You have to get your referee to provide your reference to ucas apply themselves. You can’t just write in your own reference

Quick Reply

Latest