The Student Room Group

when should i start revising for my GCSEs?

hiya,

i was wondering, when should i start revising for my GCSEs? for example, when should i begin making notes for my real exams? i just had mocks before the october holidays, but didn't really revise hard as it was quite short notice, and i ended up hardly trying- and that is not like me at all. anyway, sorry about that rant.
so, when should i start revision? i have barely touched my books in these holidays, and i do feel really guilty, but i watch youtube revision videos, and some of the youtubers say that you should take the holidays to relax and recharge. i'm really confused. have i left revision too late? i don't really have any revision resources on, really, any of my subjects, apart from the sciences. should i start making the notes for all my subjects now? and, if so, how long should i spend a day (during holidays and term time) doing this?

thank you so, so much for any replies xx

Scroll to see replies

Wtf is the point of mocks in October? You would have covered no content....
You should be taking notes for your GCSE exams as soon as you started the GCSE content. There isn't really a "start date" for revision. Start whenever you feel ready, but don't start too early, nor too late.
Reply 3
I have already started. doing things like notes of books of english lit, or looking over maths past papers because i know they are my weak points. If you start now began with weak sections of that topic and make sure it is stuck in your head before moving on.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Wtf is the point of mocks in October? You would have covered no content....

i would think that the OP is in year 11, in which case they'd be having mocks on year 10 content.
Original post by _gcx
i would think that the OP is in year 11, in which case they'd be having mocks on year 10 content.

That's would still be only half the course, absolutely pointless.
Make notes after every lesson and keep them organised, so when you start revising hardcore, you will have organised notes with everything you need to know. Right now, just focus on what you've been learning. Keep the revision going throughout the rest of the year. As for holidays, you can take the Christmas holiday lightly, I'd say at most 4 hours a day, but February and all of the holidays after that, you really want to be using holidays to catch up and consolidate anything you're struggling on.
So to answer your question, you should start now. Don't go crazy though because mocks aren't that important right now: I got Cs and Ds in my December mocks, in my actual GCSEs (May and June) I got A*s, As and a B, so if you do badly now don't feel like you're not going to be able to go from a U to an A.
Reply 7

we've covered all the content for all my subjects; we're just going over everything this year. the only thing we haven't finished is science, as my class is doing triple, so our exams were on the double content.
Reply 8

also, we began learning GCSE content in year 9 x
dont freak out about Gcses just go steady.

I started properly revising in the February half term and then didn't stop until I had finished, but obvs you need breaks. don't start revising too early because you don't want to run out of steam.

I would say make notes if you feel you need to and maybe do some revision in the Christmas hols. I had mocks in January so had to do a bit of revision over Christmas, but mocks aren't that important. since you have already done mocks you could maybe start doing some revision after Christmas? just make sure that you give yourself enough time to revise and go over everything whenever you start lol but don't worry haha xxx
Original post by lanababe78
we've covered all the content for all my subjects; we're just going over everything this year. the only thing we haven't finished is science, as my class is doing triple, so our exams were on the double content.

I'd recommend making some notes while the knowledge is still left, but by the sounds of it you'll be doing purely revision in class, so there's no need to worry yourself yet.
Reply 11
start revising now
Original post by k0zaf
start revising now

Not the best of ideas, revise later on when the knowledge is fresh in your mind.
Reply 13
Original post by Reversed Flash
Not the best of ideas, revise later on when the knowledge is fresh in your mind.

Yeh but if you revise now you can get it out the way and when the exam date is closer you can go over it especially now that the (9-1) grading system a lot more content is needed than the old gcse (A*-G).
Original post by VirgoStrain
Start at Christmas and you’ll get straight 9’s. Assuming your revision technique isn’t totally inept.

sorry to bother you, but, should i start making notes for all my subjects then? or should i be doing hardcore revision, i.e learning things off by heart? thank you so much x
Original post by lanababe78
hiya,

i was wondering, when should i start revising for my GCSEs? for example, when should i begin making notes for my real exams? i just had mocks before the october holidays, but didn't really revise hard as it was quite short notice, and i ended up hardly trying- and that is not like me at all. anyway, sorry about that rant.
so, when should i start revision? i have barely touched my books in these holidays, and i do feel really guilty, but i watch youtube revision videos, and some of the youtubers say that you should take the holidays to relax and recharge. i'm really confused. have i left revision too late? i don't really have any revision resources on, really, any of my subjects, apart from the sciences. should i start making the notes for all my subjects now? and, if so, how long should i spend a day (during holidays and term time) doing this?

thank you so, so much for any replies xx

Start now
Yes. Do hardcore revision. Then relax during the final term and do light revision plus homework. Knowing the entire GCSE before you’re learnt some of the remaining material will ensure you don’t start stressing continuously from January onwards. Preferably you only want to start stressing the week before then exams.

that means i should start making my notes, like, yesterday, right? haha, thank you so much, anyway.
I summarised the entire CGP textbooks for all 3 sciences (about 180 pages each, roughly 550 pages total) into 80 pages of notes over 2 weeks at Christmas. You could do the same if you want, but preferably you want to ditch your social life.

it's alright, i don't really have a social life, haha. but, i will definitely try and start now x
I don’t have one either, don’t worry we’re in the same boat (and I still don’t have one :frown:)Prepare for 2 weeks of straight revision. It’ll totally be worth it tbh

it will pay off in the long run, hopefully :smile: also, i'm to be making this soooo long, but how long do you think i should spend revising, for example, beginning from tomorrow, on weekdays/ends? thank you so much; i'm really sorry about all the questions :s-smilie: x
Don’t worry about all the questions. What I would focus on right now, is getting ALL the homework done, if there’s something set after Christmas do it soon. Make sure that the only thing you’re concentrating on over Christmas is your revision (with the exception of a few homework’s you might get just before you break up).

i understand, thank you so, so much, you've really helped me through my confusion. thank you xx

Quick Reply

Latest