The Student Room Group

How can I get a place to live? 17 years old

I really want to move out and live on my own but I don't have money for that. Is there a way to get benefits and a government estate house?

Scroll to see replies

Probably not as you would classify as voluntarily homeless unless there was a real reason as to why you couldn’t move out. Do you have a job?
Original post by del1rious
Probably not as you would classify as voluntarily homeless unless there was a real reason as to why you couldn’t move out. Do you have a job?

No I've always been rejected when I've tried. Can family issues qualify as a reason to move out?
Your age makes getting any housing benefit difficult. What are the family issues? If you are at direct risk then you will need to contact social services who may be able to accommodate you.

Alternative is seeing if a friend or another relative could take you in for a while.

When do you turn 18? Once you are 18 you will legally able to rent, so if you focus on getting a job then you should have enough money for a deposit in a few months (depending on where you live)
Your age makes getting any housing benefit difficult. What are the family issues? If you are at direct risk then you will need to contact social services who may be able to accommodate you.

Alternative is seeing if a friend or another relative could take you in for a while.

When do you turn 18? Once you are 18 you will legally able to rent, so if you focus on getting a job then you should have enough money for a deposit in a few months (depending on where you live)

I'm 18 in the beginning of June so a long time later. I got into a big rage about the way that my parents treat me and my sister and now my step mum is refusing to talk to me and it's making things really uncomfortable. Probably not big enough for social services I guess but I don't know what I can do.
Sadly unless you are at serious risk or your family actually throw you out there isn’t much you can do, if the latter happens then social services will most likely try to mediate before they house you elsewhere.
You could always contact the housing department at your local council and see if they take a different view though, or go to citizens advice.
You might be able to get into a youth hostel but I wouldn't recommend it. They're not nice places to live, speaking from experience.
Original post by Galahad_
You might be able to get into a youth hostel but I wouldn't recommend it. They're not nice places to live, speaking from experience.

How do you get into one of those and what are they like?
You could always contact the housing department at your local council and see if they take a different view though, or go to citizens advice.

Could you explain further about what citizens advice is?
Mate just enduring it for a while, I have family issues too and I hate my house but you're gunna be 18 soon and then off to uni. So it's not that much longer. Also, it seems like you've had a massive argument but honestly it will blow over and you probably won't even remember it. I know it might be an ongoing thing and you've had enough (like me), but just stick it our for a little longer. Me and my mum literally don't talk that much cos we have a **** relationship. And maybe apply for unis far away if you haven't applied? I applied for Scottish unis just to get away from where I live
They offer you practical advice on a number of life issues, housing being one of them.

The below weblink will help you find your closets one:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/
Original post by Anonymous
Mate just enduring it for a while, I have family issues too and I hate my house but you're gunna be 18 soon and then off to uni. So it's not that much longer. Also, it seems like you've had a massive argument but honestly it will blow over and you probably won't even remember it. I know it might be an ongoing thing and you've had enough (like me), but just stick it our for a little longer. Me and my mum literally don't talk that much cos we have a **** relationship. And maybe apply for unis far away if you haven't applied? I applied for Scottish unis just to get away from where I live

I tried making up but she refused to accept and said she'll only talk to me if she has to. I've already applied and three of them are in London where I live. I can't change anything all I can do is hope to get into Cambridge or go for adjustment.
They offer you practical advice on a number of life issues, housing being one of them.

The below weblink will help you find your closets one:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/

thanks I'll have a look at that.
It seems a bit awkward to get to for most. If I called what could I say?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
How do you get into one of those and what are they like?

Different hostels have different referral schemes. Some you need to be referred by your council, support worker or a charity, some you can self refer. HomelessUK has a search system for them, which will give you the list of hostels near you and how they take referrals.

They're not nice places. There are fights, drugs everywhere, a sub-standard support scheme and most likely you end up being kicked out at the end of your stay with nowhere to go - leading to another hostel. The people aren't great and it's easy to fall into the wrong crowd. There's a lack of privacy and a lot of bullying happens in these places.

I really would only recommend you trying to get into one if you desperately need to, eg, you are kicked out by your family.
Original post by Galahad_
Different hostels have different referral schemes. Some you need to be referred by your council, support worker or a charity, some you can self refer. HomelessUK has a search system for them, which will give you the list of hostels near you and how they take referrals.

They're not nice places. There are fights, drugs everywhere, a sub-standard support scheme and most likely you end up being kicked out at the end of your stay with nowhere to go - leading to another hostel. The people aren't great and it's easy to fall into the wrong crowd. There's a lack of privacy and a lot of bullying happens in these places.

I really would only recommend you trying to get into one if you desperately need to, eg, you are kicked out by your family.

ah yeah that doesn't sound great. How comes you had to live in one and did you have the issue with going from hostel to hostel?
thanks I'll have a look at that.
It seems a bit awkward to get to for most. If I called what could I say?

Just call them up and say you need some advice with housing accommodation, then tell them what you have said on here.
As pp have suggested you will most likely end up in a hostel which really is not ideal unless absolutely necessary
ah yeah that doesn't sound great. How comes you had to live in one and did you have the issue with going from hostel to hostel?

Personally it was because I lost my private rented accommodation due to mental health issues. It took me 2 months to get in, but that's because I was classed as 'high-risk'.

I didn't have that issue because I ended up renting my own room in London as I was absolutely sick of the place. Although I have a couple of close friends that I met there, I met a lot of other people who were hellbent on (successfully) making my life a misery. If you do decide the best option is to go into a hostel, be careful of who you mix with.
Original post by Anonymous

I agree with this. Just grit your teeth for the next few months, get a job and save some money and then you can be on your way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending