The Student Room Group

How can I get a place to live? 17 years old

Scroll to see replies

To be completely honest with you. No.

Due to your age and living situation you are not entitled to housing benefit, and it is so incredibly unlikely you would be accepted into youth housing through social services. Not to be too harsh, but there are very limited spaces in those places, the spaces are reserved for those with very serious issues where they are at serious risk staying at home.

The best you can do really is get a job, save and wait until university. Which really is not that long away.
Original post by SophieSmall
To be completely honest with you. No.

Due to your age and living situation you are not entitled to housing benefit, and it is so incredibly unlikely you would be accepted into youth housing through social services. Not to be too harsh, but there are very limited spaces in those places, the spaces are reserved for those with very serious issues where they are at serious risk staying at home.

The best you can do really is get a job, save and wait until university. Which really is not that long away.

Original post by del1rious
I agree with this. Just grit your teeth for the next few months, get a job and save some money and then you can be on your way.

How much do you guys suppose I need to live in a cheap place in London, preferably Barnet?
Original post by Galahad_
Personally it was because I lost my private rented accommodation due to mental health issues. It took me 2 months to get in, but that's because I was classed as 'high-risk'.

I didn't have that issue because I ended up renting my own room in London as I was absolutely sick of the place. Although I have a couple of close friends that I met there, I met a lot of other people who were hellbent on (successfully) making my life a misery. If you do decide the best option is to go into a hostel, be careful of who you mix with.

I'll try to avoid that then. Hopefully I can find something else.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
How much do you guys suppose I need to live in a cheap place in London, preferably Barnet?

If you're prepared to flat share maybe 500 a month or so on rent, Barnets zone 5 so £215 (ish) for a monthly travelcard zones 1-3, £100-150 for food so that's around £800-900 ish a month,

If you want to live alone it will obviously be a lot more.

Also it might be a wise idea to make up with your parents...otherwise you won't get much of a student loan..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jackieox
If you're prepared to flat share maybe 500 a month or so on rent, Barnets zone 3 right so £146 (ish) for a monthly travelcard zones 1-3, £100-150 for food so that's around £800 ish a month,

Also it might be a wise idea to make up with your parents...otherwise you won't get much of a student loan..

Barnet is zone 5.

I've no idea, I don't know london rent prices very well between zones and areas. First thing I think you should do is get an estimate of what your student loan will likely be (it;s different if in london as well) to find out if you have a decent amount. Use their loan calculator.

To find out rent prices just type on google "student room rent barnet" or other similar searches such as "spare room" "1 bedroom in house share" "student accommodation" to find what the prices are like right now.

Like if I was to that for my area (Liverpool) I could very quickly find out how much rent prices are all around the city.

Bare in mind, be realistic. The first thing a lot of people do it start looking at expensive student accommodations, a lot of new builds with en-suites and "luxury" in the name. You probably cannot reasonably afford those. It may even be that student accommodation in general is too pricey for you and you may need to live in a house share instead (where you just rent one room in a house and share kitchens/ bathrooms). Look at all of your options. Not just the most attractive ones, or what you want.

You also NEED to factor in travel costs (if you have to travel across london for uni) as well as food costs, bills (if not included in rent), course costs (if your course has any) etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Galahad_
Barnet is zone 5.

Thanks! I was sure it wasn't that far up (it's only a few miles from me and i'm zone 2,)
i've edited it :smile:
Original post by SophieSmall
I've no idea, I don't know london rent prices very well between zones and areas. First thing I think you should do is get an estimate of what your student loan will likely be (it;s different if in london as well) to find out if you have a decent amount. Use their loan calculator.

To find out rent prices just type on google "student room rent barnet" or other similar searches such as "spare room" "1 bedroom in house share" "student accommodation" to find what the prices are like right now.

Like if I was to that for my area (Liverpool) I could very quickly find out how much rent prices are all around the city.

Bare in mind, be realistic. The first thing a lot of people do it start looking at expensive student accommodations, a lot of new builds with en-suites and "luxury" in the name. You probably cannot reasonably afford those. It may even be that student accommodation in general is too pricey for you and you may need to live in a house share instead (where you just rent one room in a house and share kitchens/ bathrooms). Look at all of your options. Not just the most attractive ones, or what you want.

You also NEED to factor in travel costs (if you have to travel across london for uni) as well as food costs, bills (if not included in rent), course costs (if your course has any) etc.

I'm a bit cautious about living with others. Just concerned that I might have similar issues or they might nick stuff when I'm asleep or out.
If you're prepared to flat share maybe 500 a month or so on rent, Barnets zone 5 so £215 (ish) for a monthly travelcard zones 1-3, £100-150 for food so that's around £800-900 ish a month,

yeah damn that is a lot. My step mum won't talk to me so it's hard.
I'm a bit cautious about living with others. Just concerned that I might have similar issues or they might nick stuff when I'm asleep or out.

Pretty much every shared accommodation (be it student accommodation, apartment blocks or shared housing) have locks on bedroom doors so you don't have to worry too much about your possessions being stolen.

It's not all that uncommon to have food and stuff such as milk used without your permission though. Fairly common in student accommodations, less so in house shares in my experience.

You need to be very realistic though. Not living with others in some shape or form is probably going to be out of your price range for quite a few years to come. I'm 22, I'm not even close to being able to afford my own flat. I still live in a house share.
(edited 6 years ago)
yeah damn that is a lot. My step mum won't talk to me so it's hard.

London is extremely expensive. You kind of get stuck in a catch 22 in that the further out you go the more expensive travel becomes...

Is there no way you could make it up with her? Student loans are based of your parents income so if they won't support you you'll get the minimum
London is extremely expensive. You kind of get stuck in a catch 22 in that the further out you go the more expensive travel becomes...

Is there no way you could make it up with her? Student loans are based of your parents income so if they won't support you you'll get the minimum

idk but today she refused to accept eat pasta and when I offered she said that I was talking to my dad because she's not talking to me unless she has to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending