The Student Room Group

Gcse advice

Hello I'm 16 years old my birthday is on 17 July 2001. I was studying o level on Pakistan in 8 subjects. I completed my first year with school results as 6A*'s and 2A's. Then I went to Italy for document reason and studied there one year. Now I have moved to England about three months ago. I was apparently overage for school so i have to sit only 5 gcses in college. The minimum age for o levels as I was studying in a state school in Pakistan was 18 years old. Chemistry and biology are my favourite subject. Can you please help me by giving revision tips or are my gcse enough to get into a good uni.I want to study medicine.thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
focus on your core subjects- maths, english and the three sciences. may i ask, when are you sitting you GCSEs? if you are sitting them in may of next year, i would advise beginning revision around the christmas holidays- make sure you understand all of the content, and do the specimen papers that are available on the website for your exam board. if you are sitting you exams next year, i'm assuming that you're doing the new spec, 9-1, papers, so i would suggest that you learn some of the key phrases they use in the mark scheme, as they have become very specific and narrow.
i wish you the best of luck x
Original post by Laraib raza
Hello I'm 16 years old my birthday is on 17 July 2001. I was studying o level on Pakistan in 8 subjects. I completed my first year with school results as 6A*'s and 2A's. Then I went to Italy for document reason and studied there one year. Now I have moved to England about three months ago. I was apparently overage for school so i have to sit only 5 gcses in college. The minimum age for o levels as I was studying in a state school in Pakistan was 18 years old. Chemistry and biology are my favourite subject. Can you please help me by giving revision tips or are my gcse enough to get into a good uni.I want to study medicine.thanks

Hey my birthday is 24 July 2001, next week !

I would advise doing past papers and marking them yourselves, especially for science/maths, then go over the topics you're not doing so well in. I got 10A*s in my gcses, and this is the technique I used especially for those kinda subjects. Do ask if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by JMR2017
Hey my birthday is 24 July 2001, next week !

I would advise doing past papers and marking them yourselves, especially for science/maths, then go over the topics you're not doing so well in. I got 10A*s in my gcses, and this is the technique I used especially for those kinda subjects. Do ask if you have any questions.

Are you in a level
My question is do many unis consider my minimum amount of gcse or they only look are my most recent result,my as and a level thank you so much for the reply
Are you in a level
My question is do many unis consider my minimum amount of gcse or they only look are my most recent result,my as and a level thank you so much for the reply

I think most universities take A levels into more consideration than GCSE, but they might also look at GCSEs, 6A*s and 4As are good, what are you worried about in specific?
Reply 5
Original post by JMR2017
I think most universities take A levels into more consideration than GCSE, but they might also look at GCSEs, 6A*s and 4As are good, what are you worried about in specific?

Im worried that im just doing 5 gcses i will try my best to get great grades.Im not finding anything extremely difficult but I'm do worried about this thing that I may not go into the uni that I want to because of my gcses
Reply 6
Original post by lanababe78
focus on your core subjects- maths, english and the three sciences. may i ask, when are you sitting you GCSEs? if you are sitting them in may of next year, i would advise beginning revision around the christmas holidays- make sure you understand all of the content, and do the specimen papers that are available on the website for your exam board. if you are sitting you exams next year, i'm assuming that you're doing the new spec, 9-1, papers, so i would suggest that you learn some of the key phrases they use in the mark scheme, as they have become very specific and narrow.
i wish you the best of luck x

Thank you so much
Im worried that im just doing 5 gcses i will try my best to get great grades.Im not finding anything extremely difficult but I'm do worried about this thing that I may not go into the uni that I want to because of my gcses

If it's not your fault then you can put difficult circumstances down, but do also ask the director of studies/teacher in your school to confirm. Hopefully you should be okay.
Reply 8
Generally, from what I know, some unis do look at gcses for medicine and others don't. It depends on the uni you apply to. However, your situation is different so I don't know how it works out for you. Best get advice from teachers or maybe call up a couple of unis? Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JMR2017
If it's not your fault then you can put difficult circumstances down, but do also ask the director of studies/teacher in your school to confirm. Hopefully you should be okay.

I talked to my teachers and they said they will write an application from college to the uni I'm applying to to just tell the whole problem to them because there are two more people in my class that have kind of similar problem as me so hope so it would work
I talked to my teachers and they said they will write an application from college to the uni I'm applying to to just tell the whole problem to them because there are two more people in my class that have kind of similar problem as me so hope so it would work

I hope it does
Original post by JMR2017
I hope it does

So I'm thinking about doing three subjects privately Urdu,italian and sociology.For Urdu and italian i don't have to do any study but for sociology the course is less but I'll try my best to get an a*.Is this a good choice?
So I'm thinking about doing three subjects privately Urdu,italian and sociology.For Urdu and italian i don't have to do any study but for sociology the course is less but I'll try my best to get an a*.Is this a good choice?

If you think you can do well without it being too time consuming or affecting any of your other subjects then it's ok. If you feel it will hinder your chances of doing well in your main subjects, then I suggest avoid it.

Quick Reply

Latest