The Student Room Group

The 'I really need to get my life together' GCSE blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JedEmily
I’m year 11 (year 12 in NI as P1 for us is reception to you guys).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best of luck for this year then! And yeah, the English situation really isn't the best. I'm not too familiar with the old spec, but making the exam closed book has thrown me off the most.
Original post by troubletracking
The best of luck for this year then! And yeah, the English situation really isn't the best. I'm not too familiar with the old spec, but making the exam closed book has thrown me off the most.

You too! For me 80% of language is done in year 10 and then a very large percentage of literature is done in year 11, both may sound equal but in reality it’s not.

Reply 42
The due date for my application thingy is due on the 21st December, and I'm currently in the process of throwing together a rough first draft of my personal statement (another thing I failed to complete in the holidays whoops), but really I'm procrastinating doing it as per. Please tell me you've got your life together unlike me- have you applied? Do you know what you want to do?

Today was, well, meh. I got my English done, most of my biology done- though I wanted to do extra, then I got distracted faffing around on Spotify making a French playlist, which is why I'm currently ploughing through this damn geography still. *sigh* I guess tonight won't be the early night I had planned.
Let's hope that this week is a productive week for the both of us.

That is the one thing I did manage to do in the holidays (what an achievement considering I was at home the whole week and had none of the temptations that come with being on holiday:-\) But no worries! You've got plenty of time, especially since they don't want you to write an essay - actually, I can't speak for all colleges but the one I applied to had a limit of 400 characters - and even if they did you'd be fabulous with that Eng Lang 9 :biggrin: If you don't mind me asking, which colleges are you planning to apply for? And I'm planning on taking Biology, Psychology, French, and History. How about you?

I guess I'm not the only one throwing their early night plans out the window then😖

Let's hope and try to make it so!
Original post by AlbabA
That is the one thing I did manage to do in the holidays (what an achievement considering I was at home the whole week and had none of the temptations that come with being on holiday:-\) But no worries! You've got plenty of time, especially since they don't want you to write an essay - actually, I can't speak for all colleges but the one I applied to had a limit of 400 characters - and even if they did you'd be fabulous with that Eng Lang 9 :biggrin: If you don't mind me asking, which colleges are you planning to apply for? And I'm planning on taking Biology, Psychology, French, and History. How about you?

I guess I'm not the only one throwing their early night plans out the window then😖

Let's hope and try to make it so!

How long did it take to complete yours? I'm really struggling what to write except for rambling about what books I've read, as I don't have any work experience (yet, trying to get some volunteering at a charity before December). And 400 characters? The limit for ours is 8000 characters and I'm someone who can write for England, so I'd barely get my name down before I ran out of characters with that! I'm definitely an overwriter, so I'll need to be brutal once the first draft's down and go over it about seven times; there'll probably be about eleven dodgy spellings in there which would be really awkward with a 9 in English lang..:colondollar:
All my friends are applying to like five colleges, but I'm only applying to two (my socially awkward self can't bear five interviews). I'm applying for my school's sixth form, though I really want to go to this college a bit further away from where I live, which has a history course I'm more interested in. It's a lot more competitive though, so I might not get in, but hey ho.
Oh, don't even get me started on A-levels. My options change every week, though at the moment I'm settled on Biology, History (twinning whoop whoop) and English Literature. There used to be chemistry in there, too, but recently I realised there's no point taking a subject I don't even like that I only considered because *maybe* I want to become an oncologist, but idek anymore.
Your A-level choices look so good and diverse- and there's four of them! I'm not sure I could survive three, never mind four! Woah!!:tongue: Good luck on your interviews if they're coming up soon, though mine are in like February or something so there's plenty of time to stress about those:wink:

1am club here we come..
(edited 5 years ago)
Can I join too, still haven't started any of the 3 practise papers my maths teacher gave us :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by aMassDebater
Can I join too, still haven't started any of the 3 practise papers my maths teacher gave us :frown:

Oh God, I'm praying for you😖🙏
Reply 46
How long did it take to complete yours? I'm really struggling what to write except for rambling about what books I've read, as I don't have any work experience (yet, trying to get some volunteering at a charity before December). And 400 characters? The limit for ours is 8000 characters and I'm someone who can write for England, so I'd barely get my name down before I ran out of characters with that! I'm definitely an overwriter, so I'll need to be brutal once the first draft's down and go over it about seven times; there'll probably be about eleven dodgy spellings in there which would be really awkward with a 9 in English lang..:colondollar:
All my friends are applying to like five colleges, but I'm only applying to two (my socially awkward self can't bear five interviews). I'm applying for my school's sixth form, though I really want to go to this college a bit further away from where I live called Greenhead, which has a history course I'm more interested in. It's a lot more competitive though, so I might not get in, but hey ho.
Oh, don't even get me started on A-levels. My options change every week, though at the moment I'm settled on Biology, History (twinning whoop whoop) and English Literature. There used to be chemistry in there, too, but recently I realised there's no point taking a subject I don't even like that I only considered because *maybe* I want to become an oncologist, but idek anymore.
Your A-level choices look so good and diverse- and there's four of them! I'm not sure I could survive three, never mind four! Woah!!:tongue: Good luck on your interviews if they're coming up soon, though mine are in like February or something so there's plenty of time to stress about those:wink:

1am club here we come..

It took me a couple days but that was only because I was kinda putting it off and breaking every 2 minutes:P 8000 characters??!?!!!?!!??!?!?! God I'm cackling like a witch:biggrin: Bahaaha! For me, I wrote down my career aims, interests, and hobbies that I might occupy myself with during any spare time (not that we have a second of it anymore). But with such a major difference in character limitations, I think you might want to have a talk with your careers advisor - if your school offers one? I don't want to risk telling you anything that might ruin your chances at a credible college:frown:

Yess twinsiieessssss:biggrin: Aha, if I had the option of taking less I would, but we have to take 4 and then drop 1 at the end of AS :/

Greenhead? Just looked it up and, Yorkshire? Mate, you're a ways off from me, I live in London :P But anyway, don't stress about your A Level choices just yet, most colleges, if not all, will allow you to make changes one or two times before the start of sixth form so plenty of time!

And thank you so much! Doubt my dream sixth form has any interviews actually, but I'm rooting for you with your social awkwardness! Sure you'll do amazing:smile:
Reply 47
Oh and also, try asking your local library for volunteering opportunities, that's what I did during the summer last year:smile:
Original post by AlbabA
It took me a couple days but that was only because I was kinda putting it off and breaking every 2 minutes:P 8000 characters??!?!!!?!!??!?!?! God I'm cackling like a witch:biggrin: Bahaaha! For me, I wrote down my career aims, interests, and hobbies that I might occupy myself with during any spare time (not that we have a second of it anymore). But with such a major difference in character limitations, I think you might want to have a talk with your careers advisor - if your school offers one? I don't want to risk telling you anything that might ruin your chances at a credible college:frown:

Yess twinsiieessssss:biggrin: Aha, if I had the option of taking less I would, but we have to take 4 and then drop 1 at the end of AS :/

Greenhead? Just looked it up and, Yorkshire? Mate, you're a ways off from me, I live in London :P But anyway, don't stress about your A Level choices just yet, most colleges, if not all, will allow you to make changes one or two times before the start of sixth form so plenty of time!

And thank you so much! Doubt my dream sixth form has any interviews actually, but I'm rooting for you with your social awkwardness! Sure you'll do amazing:smile:

Ah, once again, my saviour. Merci beaucoup, you're just full of wisdom and good advice!:biggrin:
This blog has only been up a day and it’s received so much more positivity than I could’ve ever imagined. I’d just like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has offered their support and motivation and, hopefully, we can spur each other on to the end. We’ve got this, y’all. We can do this.

Today has been somewhat productive. I’ve gotten done most of what I wanted to do today, and I'm trying not to look at the two maths papers and full history exam paper due on Thursday. I’m going to finish off the night by importing a bit of vocab onto Quizlet and a bit of Memrise.I was supposed to be in bed by 11pm. Nice one, Meghan.

Goodnight! Wishing you a great (and hopefully productive) week!:wink:

Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 50
Ah, once again, my saviour. Merci beaucoup, you're just full of wisdom and good advice!:biggrin:

LOOL you're probably the only person that thinks so! How do you say you're welcome? One moment... Oohh. De rien. 😎
Reply 51
This blog has only been up a day and it’s received so much more positivity than I could’ve ever imagined. I’d just like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has offered their support and motivation and, hopefully, we can spur each other on to the end. We’ve got this, y’all. We can do this.

Today has been somewhat productive. I’ve gotten done most of what I wanted to do today, and I'm trying not to look at the two maths papers and full history exam paper due on Thursday. I’m going to finish off the night by importing a bit of vocab onto Quizlet and a bit of Memrise.I was supposed to be in bed by 11pm. Nice one, Meghan.

Goodnight! Wishing you a great (and hopefully productive) week!:wink:

This is so sweet, thank you for making a thread that's so both relatable, and entertaining!

Hey, don't stress. You got it done. Maybe draw up a timetable for this week so you can get those exam papers done in time. I always leave them till last myself- should probably stop doing that :P

Good morning XD And wishing you the same:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Monday, 30th October 2017
Days until mocks: 28

Good evening!:smile: How was school? It was the first day back for me, so I'm exhausted.

I've got quite a lot to do this week, but I'm not too sure I'll get much done today. There's a stomach bug going around our school at the moment (and literally everywhere else in the UK lol) which is probably the worst nightmare of someone with emetophobia. Whoop whoop. I've spent all day feeling really anxious about getting ill, so I listened to a 10 minute session on Headspace when i came home from school, which is this great app with meditation sessions on it. For anyone with anxiety, or just anyone who wants to better their mental health/ mindfulness, I recommend it so much. While I still don't feel 100%, I feel a bit better (props to my main man Andy with his buttery smooth voice).

There's not much to talk about today, apart from the current year 11 drama, which is that forms have been split up and everyone has been put into a specific subject form, away from their friends. I've been put into a French form with lots of people I don't know, which is just fantastic, really. Ah, well. C'est la vie.

History:
I'm going to try and do a third of my history homework. Think I'm going to tackle American West tonight.
Maths:
I'm aiming to complete my arithmetic paper. Not going to happen, like, but evidently I'm quite the optimist.
Biology:
If I have time (which I won't but here I am doing this to myself) I want to complete my B6 flashcards I started yesterday. Also need to complete the practice questions we started in lesson at some point today.

But first, you guessed it, ya girl is tidying her goddamn room.:wink:
My midterm started today so no school for me! This week I have coursework for ICT & then just need to make notes for other classes. My school is having to deal with the norovirus brought upon by yours truly, and I’m dying of a cold now which I’m bound to give to a few people. I’m slowly realising that I need to actually prove to my English teacher that I’m struggling horribly in her class and just not being lazy, but I think it won’t change her mind.

My midterm started today so no school for me! This week I have coursework for ICT & then just need to make notes for other classes. My school is having to deal with the norovirus brought upon by yours truly, and I’m dying of a cold now which I’m bound to give to a few people. I’m slowly realising that I need to actually prove to my English teacher that I’m struggling horribly in her class and just not being lazy, but I think it won’t change her mind.

Ah, nothing says back to school like the dreaded norovirus season.:s-smilie:

Maybe try talking to your English teacher in private after school to really get the message across to her that you're really struggling. Sometimes teachers can be so unfair, but (most of them) do genuinely want to help and I'm sure she'll offer you some extra support when she sees how mature and serious you are about it. If not, there's plenty of people on TSR who'll be willing to help if you're stuck

Have a great holiday! Try to make yourself some time to relax though, even though sometimes it's hard when there feels like there's so much to do.
Hey stranger!
Congrats on your English, that's an awesome grade (and you did it early!)
Will you time travel (in the T.A.R.D.I.S) through the history of medicine with me cause no offense Galen but I've had enough of the gazillions of dates to memorize (RIP)?
Ugh I get your crisii, you know the sixth form one but there are so many more. (E.g: WHERE DID MY COPY OF FRANKENSTEIN AND REVISION NOTES GO BEFORE THE EXAM?? no kidding, there was a meltdown)
Oh well. It's the beginning of a long journey, imma make myself comfortable and enjoy the ride!
Tuesday, 31st October 2017
Days until mocks: 27
Crisis Count: 1

I’m a mess.

An actual mess. My predicted grades may be high, but my actual grades won’t be. I’ve got so good at hiding how little I have my life together that people don’t believe the fact that, yes, I've only done two thirds of my chemistry homework and intend to do the rest in the actual lesson it’s due. I was supposed to leave this awful lifestyle behind me, but here I am less than four weeks before my mocks- the mocks that will give me the grades I submit on my college application- barely doing homework, never mind revision.

So today, I dragged myself through:

Maths: My evening started so well. As soon as I was through the door, I got out my arithmetic paper and did just over half of it, then did a few questions on the mock paper that are BOTH DUE ON THURSDAY. This is why you don’t do all your half term homework two days before it’s due, kids.

History: I still had just over two thirds of a whole mock to do, and I barely did two paragraphs. I got stuck on the final American West question (i’m going to blame it on the fact that I haven’t done American West for nearly a year) and didn’t do anymore, despite having gone to my old history teacher of help on that question.

Chemistry: Did the first half of the holiday that was about calculating relative formula mass without too much of a problem. The second half was harder and took me a lot longer, and I quickly grew restless and tired. I gave up, and because I don’t have the safety net of twenty minutes of form period because I'm doing fricking a level French questions, I'm planning on doing it in lesson. Wow. Much organisation. Such grade 8 student. My mother would be so proud.

Geography: I had some not compulsory but probably necessary notes to finish off that I never got around to doing that I'll use in an essay I'll be writing tomorrow. Looks like there’s double geography homework for me, then.

I’ve developed an awful habit of sleeping through my alarm so it doesn’t wake me up anymore, so I haven’t been getting up at 7. The last time I read was Saturday when I had to reread An Inspector Calls for English. I’m so underprepared and overwhelmed; hell, there’s year 10s more organised than me.

But most of all, I feel like I've really let this blog down. I’ve only been uploading study updates since Sunday, and none of them have been revision updates, more so ‘omg-so-much-homework-i-haven’t-done’ updates, so I'm really not achieving all that much. I’m not like everyone else on TSR: I’m not organised, my handwriting isn’t neat enough for pretty notes, I never manage to tick every box on a to-do list, I never have the motivation to do my homework every night it’s set. I just can’t. And I wish I could, but I can’t.

Maybe this blog won’t be as productive and studious as everyone else, but I'm hoping it’ll be relatable. (hell, there's not much else going for it now) I’m just a normal student who happens to be both predicted 8s and is cripplingly disorganised, and I'm sure that’s the same for a lot of people. I’m aware that I might have come across like I really know what I'm doing but, believe me, I don’t.

I need a miracle to get everything done for tomorrow.

It’s pretty late and I should be sleeping, but I want to do some Memrise or Quizlet before bed to make this day at least somewhat marginally productive.

happy halloween lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Should I worry about the fact that my school hasn’t told us anything about mocks?

Should I worry about the fact that my school hasn’t told us anything about mocks?

Some schools have their mocks around January time, after the Christmas holidays. We also have another set of mocks in March, I think, so maybe you have your mocks and your teachers haven't brought them up yet. Either way, you might want to ask them about it because no one wants a surprise chemistry mock
Some schools have their mocks around January time, after the Christmas holidays. We also have another set of mocks in March, I think, so maybe you have your mocks and your teachers haven't brought them up yet. Either way, you might want to ask them about it because no one wants a surprise chemistry mock

Hey i guess it’s good that i end up spending 4+ hours a day after school studying 😉

My teachers have been giving us surprise tests, so I guess it can be to do with those?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending