The Student Room Group

Can a Uni Revoke an Offer if I Question the Fee Status Assessment?

I received an offer from York yesterday but they have mistakenly given me overseas fee status. I have had to contest this as I should be Home/EU and there's no way I could possibly pay overseas fees, but could that lead to the offer being revoked?
Original post by TheBirder
I received an offer from York yesterday but they have mistakenly given me overseas fee status. I have had to contest this as I should be Home/EU and there's no way I could possibly pay overseas fees, but could that lead to the offer being revoked?

There’s a very slim chance but in the current funding regime it’s unlikely.

If you were Scottish and applying to a Scottish university where there’s still strict caps on Scottish intakes then it would be more likely.

I would suggest asking for some feedback about why they classed you as international - it could be that you ticked the wrong box somewhere on ucas. If that’s the case you might have the same problem with your other choices (and it’s worth contacting them to put them right).
Don't worry about it, I forgot to list British as a dual nationality and emailed all my choices about it, even after they made offers, and they were fine with it.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
There’s a very slim chance but in the current funding regime it’s unlikely.

If you were Scottish and applying to a Scottish university where there’s still strict caps on Scottish intakes then it would be more likely.

I would suggest asking for some feedback about why they classed you as international - it could be that you ticked the wrong box somewhere on ucas. If that’s the case you might have the same problem with your other choices (and it’s worth contacting them to put them right).

I've already had a fee status assessment from St Andrews and I was assessed as Scotland/EU.

My situation is a bit complicated because I am a British Citizen who is resident in the EU.

My best guess at where the confusion comes from is that I had to put residence category (not quite sure of exact name of box) as 'other' because the options were 'UK resident' or 'EU resident (non-UK citizen)' and I don't count as either of those. My school contacted UCAS who told me to put down 'other'.
I've already had a fee status assessment from St Andrews and I was assessed as Scotland/EU.

My situation is a bit complicated because I am a British Citizen who is resident in the EU.

My best guess at where the confusion comes from is that I had to put residence category (not quite sure of exact name of box) as 'other' because the options were 'UK resident' or 'EU resident (non-UK citizen)' and I don't count as either of those. My school contacted UCAS who told me to put down 'other'.

Yeah - that sounds about right. The UCAS categories are crap :yes:
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Yeah - that sounds about right. The UCAS categories are crap :yes:

Do you think I need to contact other unis to clarify my situation or do you think this is just York's error? Since St Andrews didn't classify me as international I'm hoping the other places won't as well.
Do you think I need to contact other unis to clarify my situation or do you think this is just York's error? Since St Andrews didn't classify me as international I'm hoping the other places won't as well.

I'd say just to be prepared for more fee status questionnaires from your other choices but if it's clear you're a British citizen resident in the EU in your application (regardless of the daft "other" category UCAS have crowbarred you into) then any university with decent fee setting procedures will class you correctly (and any that doesn't it should be straight forward to appeal)

A uni can revoke an offer any time before it is accepted as long as they communicate it to you .

As PQ suggested there is virtually no chance they will revoke your offer over fee status, so I wouldnt worry.

Whether you are classes as home/ international fees is not based on affordability, so be sure you understand and reflect the rules they apply and have made a mistake on when lodging your appeal.
Reply 8
So I've now received confirmation that my fee status was because I selected the residential category of 'other'. It seems like York looked at none of the other information I provided and assumed I must be international based only on that.

Now I have to fill in a ridiculously long fee status form and send loads of supporting documents. Sigh. If anyone intercepts that email then they've got more than enough information to steal my identity...
Reply 9
I sent the fee status appeal stuff three days ago now and I've not got any response, not even an acknowledgement of receipt of the appeal.

Should I call the university?
Original post by 999tigger
A uni can revoke an offer any time before it is accepted as long as they communicate it to you .

Is that true for when all of your chosen 5 uni's have not yet replied? UCAS says:
You will only be asked to reply to any offers when you've received a decision from all of the universities or colleges you applied to. You will not lose any of your offers waiting for universities or colleges who have not yet made a decision.
Original post by TerribleGrades
Is that true for when all of your chosen 5 uni's have not yet replied? UCAS says:

Sorry I was just going under normal contract. If thats what UCAS says, then no an the person is protected until all five have responded. They could do it afterwards, but I dont believe that happens. It seems that unis are bound, but students are allowed to accept and then revoke as they wish and the unis just have to put up with it.
An unlikely way to revoke an offer would be if they had found out something wrong with your application i.e the applicant had lied. The offer would also lapse if the applicant failed to meet the condition.

In terms of the OP nothing will happen, but by default they do not have to change the fee status, which has the same effect.
Reply 12

I'm filling in my form and am just about to put down 'other' too (I'm a dual British/Spanish citizen resident in Spain). Should I avoid 'other' then as the category, but not sure what else to choose as none of the others apply.
Reply 13
Original post by mary28
I'm filling in my form and am just about to put down 'other' too (I'm a dual British/Spanish citizen resident in Spain). Should I avoid 'other' then as the category, but not sure what else to choose as none of the others apply.

I had to do 'other' because, as with you, none of the others applied to me either.

I've had fee status assessments from 4 unis now and York was the only problem. I just had to query it and send off an appeal form and it is now sorted and they changed it to EU.

You'll be fine putting down other, it just might mean some hassle if you have to appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending