The Student Room Group

Mature student requirements

I am a mature student I finished high school in 1990 but am feeling called to make a life change and study Psychology.

My concern is that my school subjects don't qualify me but I have had many years if experience in working with people. Does anyone have a suggestion of where and how to go about this application process.

Any tips would be so welcome
Hopefully
Lucia
Original post by luciapoulter
I am a mature student I finished high school in 1990 but am feeling called to make a life change and study Psychology.

My concern is that my school subjects don't qualify me but I have had many years if experience in working with people. Does anyone have a suggestion of where and how to go about this application process.

Any tips would be so welcome
Hopefully
Lucia

Are you in the UK?
At what level do you wish to study psychology?
Do you have any GCSEs?

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-psychology

https://www.dldcollege.co.uk/study-psychology-at-university/

You dont give enough information, so its hard to help.

The pyramid of qualifications will be:

1. GCSE Maths and English
2. A levels, 2 years or BTEC 2 years or Access course 1 year. All these will get you into Uni.
3. If you are weak or dont have the correct subjects then you can still get onto a uni course as psychology with a foundation year.
Reply 2
Some people in my Access Course had no formal qualifications. I would really encourage you to do research into a Humanities Access Course
Original post by zigdob
Some people in my Access Course had no formal qualifications. I would really encourage you to do research into a Humanities Access Course

Thank you, I appreciate the tip
(edited 6 years ago)
The question is why do you want to study psychology? Do you REALLY know what psychology is? The SCIENTIFIC study of the mind and behaviour? That means it's not like a TV programme, it's lots of boring maths and statistics techniques. Investigate it further.

Quick Reply

Latest