The Student Room Group

Confused about transformation questions

Describe a single transformation that would map the graph of y = x^2 + 2 onto the graph of y = 2x^2+ 4

I put stretch by scale factor 2 in y direction and 1/2 in x direction, but answers just say stretch by sf 2 in y direction.

I'm really confused by this... can someone explain it please? Thanks :/

(graphs and functions are really annoying me and I'm forcing myself to understand them)
so if f(x) is x2 + 2 then 2f(x) is 2( x2 + 2 )
Well if I stretch by s.f. 2 in the y direction and s.f. 1/2 in the x-dir I'd get y2=(2x)2+2\frac{y}{2}=(2x)^2+2
So for Describe a single transformation that would map the graph of y = x^2 + 2 onto the graph of y = x^2+4x+6

I put translated by vector [-4,6] but the answer says translation by 2 units in -ve x direction. Is it because it's x^2, so you put -2 in instead of -4? Mad confused lol
x2+4x+6=(x+2)2+2x^2+4x+6=(x+2)^2+2 which is a translation by -2 along the x-axis from x2+2x^2+2
Original post by the bear
so if f(x) is x2 + 2 then 2f(x) is 2( x2 + 2 )

So when you stretch in the y direction you times everything by the sf?
The simple rule is that when you stretch in the y-dir by s.f. aa, you simply take yy and replace it by ya\frac{y}{a}. Similarly if its along the x-axis. Just take xx and replace it by xa\frac{x}{a}.

If it's a translation along the y-axis by bb, then you take yy and replace it by yby-b. Similarly for the x-axis.

Then all you need to do is just rearrange to get y=...y=... or whatever form they ask for.

EXAMPLE:

y=x24x+10y=x^2-4x+10 can be rewritten as y=(x2)2+6y=(x-2)^2+6 which in turn gives y4=(x2)2+2y-4=(x-2)^2+2 which is clearly a translation by vector [2,4][2,4] from the graph y=x2+2y=x^2+2 as you simply replace x(x2)x \mapsto (x-2) and y(y4)y \mapsto (y-4)
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE="RDKGames;74371654"]The simple rule is that when you stretch in the y-dir by s.f. aa, you simply take yy and replace it by ya\frac{y}{a}. Similarly if its along the x-axis. Just take xx and replace it by xa\frac{x}{a}.

Ok, so if I was to enlarge y=x^2 + 2 by sf 2 in Y direction I would do y/2=x^2+2 which makes y= 2x^2 + 4?

And If I was to do enlarge by sf 2 in x direction I'd do y = (x/2)^2 + 2, which makes y = x^2 /4 +2?

Original post by RDKGames

EXAMPLE:

y=x24x+10y=x^2-4x+10 can be rewritten as y=(x2)2+6y=(x-2)^2+6 which in turn gives y4=(x2)2+2y-4=(x-2)^2+2 which is clearly a translation by vector [2,4][2,4] from the graph y=x2+2y=x^2+2 as you simply replace x(x2)x \mapsto (x-2) and y(y4)y \mapsto (y-4)

Ah ok. So since its x^2 + 2 -> x^2+4x+6 I would do

y = (x+2)^2 +2, so its a translation by [-2,0]?

Is that the main way to do it? Because for a harder question I would be a lot more difficult to see what to put into the bracket
That's the main way to do it, and you can clearly see these match the answers in your book - they're all correct. If you find one you cannot do using these principles, post it here and we'll give you a hint.
That's the main way to do it, and you can clearly see these match the answers in your book - they're all correct. If you find one you cannot do using these principles, post it here and we'll give you a hint.

Ok thanks man :smile: A level maths is legit killing me

If i was to enlarge (x+9)^3 + 2(x+9)^2 + 10 by a scale factor of 2 in the y direction would I do y/2 = (x+9)^3 + 2(x+9)^2 + 10, which gives me

2(x+9)^3 + 4(x+9)^2 + 20? I put it in desmos but it doesn't look right
Why doesn't it look right?

It has been stretched parallel y-axis by s.f. 2. All the stationary points are twice as high up than they were before. Everything in the y<0y<0 region gets stretched twice downwards. Everything is as expected.
Mad ting

It has been stretched parallel y-axis by s.f. 2. All the stationary points are twice as high up than they were before. Everything in the y<0y<0 region gets stretched twice downwards. Everything is as expected.

sh*tden :biggrin: thanks
Original post by RedGiant
Mad ting

yo i'm baffed with life. i'm not bad at maths you know but this graph stuff is confusing the hell out of me
I can see m8, what exam board are you with?

And thx for follow ^^

When reflecting in the y axis, do you times all the x by -1, and when reflecting in the x axis, do you times everything by -1?

I can see m8, what exam board are you with?

And thx for follow ^^

edexcel, u?

following so i can dm for maths and chat u up
I'm on edexcel as well (done chapters 1-7 but don't know which bit of the spec this is)
Same principles as above. Reflection in the y-axis means x(x)x \mapsto (-x) and reflection in the x-axis means y(y)y \mapsto (-y).

Wasn't this covered in GCSE reflections of graphs or something...?
Same principles as above. Reflection in the y-axis means x(x)x \mapsto (-x) and reflection in the x-axis means y(y)y \mapsto (-y).

Wasn't this covered in GCSE reflections of graphs or something...?

Yeah it probably was but I didn't really listen during GCSE lessons :/ Thanks though :smile:

I'm on edexcel as well (done chapters 1-7 but don't know which bit of the spec this is)

This is chapter 4. I have 2 teachers, and 1 of them is really good, but the other is a total d*ck and hates me. Unfortunately the d*ck is the one that covered chapter 4, but we barely did any exercises in the textbook, and now I'm trying to do all of them and the 2 tasks on maths genie and really try to understand each concept. I''ve never really listened with graphs as in my old school we did graphs in year 10 with some dead teacher so in year 11 we just skipped ahead with our new better teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest