The Student Room Group

Economics vs computer science

Which degree has better job prospects and salary. I have read that a computer science degree can get you the same jobs in finance as economics, to what extent is this true?
Original post by anonymous45465
Which degree has better job prospects and salary. I have read that a computer science degree can get you the same jobs in finance as economics, to what extent is this true?

Comp sci, leads to most of the careers economics does (except the ones that ask for economics which is very very few) and you learn how to program etc on the course so can go into software dev as well.

Yes it is true, finance careers dont ask for any specific degree, just that you have a degree, its the internships youve done that count massively
Original post by J-SP
Technically Economics, but you are talking about averages over a significant number of people, and your personal employability chances are not really influenced by your degree.

For most finance roles you could have studied any subject, it could be History of Arts and you’d have the same basic application as an Economics or Computer Science grad. Some finance roles do require you to have a high level of mathematic content to your degree though, and so that is where an Economics degree might help - but as an Economics graduate with very little mathematics to their degree, I can tell you that isn’t always the case either!

Could you give me examples of jobs that I would be able to apply for with an economics degree but not with a computer degree?
Original post by J-SP
Only if you did a high level of maths content in your economics degree, then you could be:

An actuary
An economist
A statistician

Apart from these would I have just as good of a chance if I had a computer science degree. The reason I am asking this is because a computer science degree is more mathematical than an economics degree based on what I've seen of the modules.
Reply 4
Computer science is slowly becoming a very saturated degree, not to mention that there's people who do it a lot better in third-world countries who are likely to steal any employment prospects a lot of graduates will be looking for.
Reply 5
Original post by anonymous45465
Could you give me examples of jobs that I would be able to apply for with an economics degree but not with a computer degree?

There's not many but...Economist?

It works both ways though. Both degrees are numerate and so similar jobs are available to both. Very few jobs where you need a CS degree as well - even for something like programming it's not necessary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Speckle
There's not many but...Economist?

It works both ways though. Both degrees are numerate and so similar jobs are available to both. Very few jobs where you need a CS degree as well - even for something like programming it's not necessary.

So doing either an economics degree or CS degree I will have similar job prospects?
Original post by Wikia
Computer science is slowly becoming a very saturated degree, not to mention that there's people who do it a lot better in third-world countries who are likely to steal any employment prospects a lot of graduates will be looking for.

The ugly truth. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending