The Student Room Group

Will a job in Build a Bear workshop be of benefit as it involves working with kids?

I’m looking for a part time job to get and was wondering if a job in Build a Bear Workshop be a benefit to me to get into medicine as it would involve working with small kids on a daily basis. So I was just wondering whether to apply or not?
Original post by asmyth468
I’m looking for a part time job to get and was wondering if a job in Build a Bear Workshop be a benefit to me to get into medicine as it would involve working with small kids on a daily basis. So I was just wondering whether to apply or not?

If it's anything like the one where I live, you will have to arm yourself with a year's supply of valium, have nerves of steel, and a smile you have to paint on every morning before you start work.
Children in that store turn into monsters.
I think it's a perfect idea .

Could you get some volunteering work in a Children's Ward in a hospital? That would be something to look at. There are lots of children who are in long-stay wards with life limiting illnesses and they would probably really appreciate some volunteers.
Reply 4

Probably not much. You are interacting with kids, but not in a terribly significant way. You could easily just ignore them and deal with their parents. A good reference from your manager saying how well you interact with the kids could be useful, but I doubt the job itself would be. It's still good for you though because it gives you experience and gets you used to building a bit of a bond and trust with kids who you have only just met.
At the end of the day it will be better on that front than KFC or BHS would be so if you want to go for that then do.

You'd be better off doing a bit of volunteer work at a youth group or something though (either instead of or as well as the BaB work). That's far more interaction and actually working with the kids. Going to a special needs environment like Yippee or Yip For Youth (YMCA youth groups) could also be very beneficial as at a hospital you are likely to be dealing with some complex needs.
You can also get paid positions with them, but I'm not sure how that works (what experience you need etc).

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
If you need a job, then it's as good as any others in retail - plenty of valuable skills to be gained there in dealing with the general public! I'm not really sure that it involving children is necessarily much more beneficial than any other store though.

You still need more directly healthcare-related work experience/volunteering.
Reply 6
Original post by Kindred
Probably not much. You are interacting with kids, but not in a terribly significant way. You could easily just ignore them and deal with their parents. A good reference from your manager saying how well you interact with the kids could be useful, but I doubt the job itself would be. It's still good for you though because it gives you experience and gets you used to building a bit of a bond and trust with kids who you have only just met.
At the end of the day it will be better on that front than KFC or BHS would be so if you want to go for that then do.

You'd be better off doing a bit of volunteer work at a youth group or something though (either instead of or as well as the BaB work). That's far more interaction and actually working with the kids. Going to a special needs environment like Yippee or Yip For Youth (YMCA youth groups) could also be very beneficial as at a hospital you are likely to be dealing with some complex needs.
You can also get paid positions with them, but I'm not sure how that works (what experience you need etc).

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks see I’m a young leader at my local Brownies and was looking for some money to be honest and wanted a job in retail to do that as a seasonal job or whatever. I’m looking to get proper work experience in my next year in school
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
If you need a job, then it's as good as any others in retail - plenty of valuable skills to be gained there in dealing with the general public! I'm not really sure that it involving children is necessarily much more beneficial than any other store though.

You still need more directly healthcare-related work experience/volunteering.

Yeah I’m getting proper work experience next year it’s just to earn a bit of money while I’m still in school :smile:

Quick Reply