The Student Room Group

What does 'chin up' mean and what type of person would say it to you?

I sort of have an idea that it means look up rather than looking down in all of the time, I just haven't heard it used often. Is there a non-literal meaning to it to do with feeling sad?

What type of person would say 'chin up' to another? Would they genreally be a friend/someone who cares about the person?
It means cheer up, and crusty old people say it
Original post by Anonymous
It means cheer up, and crusty old people say it

Lol
Reply 3
It's a way of saying cheer up/look on the bright side. I think it's ok to say to someone if they are just having a bad day but I've always found it to be quite insensitive when people say it when something major has happened like when someone has lost a loved one.

I've seen it written more on FB comments rather than heard it said in person.
it just means keep your head high and that things will be okay and personally, i find it quite cute but that's just me
Reply 5
Is it generally a supportive thing to say?
"cheer up"
Original post by Skeletonclique21
it just means keep your head high and that things will be okay and personally, i find it quite cute but that's just me

^^^ this^^^

It's a sympathetic comment, saying they acknowledge you're having a crap time but keep your chin up (i.e. grit it out) and things will get better.
Reply 8
Original post by Crumpet1
^^^ this^^^

It's a sympathetic comment, saying they acknowledge you're having a crap time but keep your chin up (i.e. grit it out) and things will get better.

Do you think people who say it actually care about those who they say it to?
I think it's best for minor setbacks. If someone has depression or something and someone says "chin up" that's pretty inappropriate.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think people who say it actually care about those who they say it to?

Yes as a general rule, though it would depend a little on context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending