The Student Room Group

The Telegraph opens up black Cambridge student for barrage of online abuse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalBeams
Okay.

Why do you say he is the one leading the initiative?

Was he also the one that penned the open letter 'Decolonising the English Faculty'?

He is leading the "Decolonising the Curriculum Faculty Research Initiative - a group formed to push for changes in curricula across the university" - of which the letter was a part of their work https://www.facebook.com/events/349079038874345/

He may not have written the letter but nor did the other 160 signatories that you're ignoring - and he's leading the initiative that encouraged the students to have this discussion and feed it into the English Faculty Teaching Forum.
Exactly!!!

SJW nonsense.

Can anyone here tell me what happened when during the last geenral election campaign Theresa MAy joked TWICE on SEPARATE occassions about not wanting to see Jeremy Corbyn naked in negotiations with the EU?

Where was the outrage?

Imagine if it was Corbyn that said that about Theresa May, what would the outrage be like in the media? Calling him misogynist and feminist, "he is not fit to rule"?

SJW crap!

[video="youtube;to3OHICF5VY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to3OHICF5VY[/video]

May knew she would get away with that. A male MP would know they wouldn't get away with such a comment about a female politician. Complete double standards.
Exactly!!!

SJW nonsense.

Can anyone here tell me what happened when during the last geenral election campaign Theresa MAy joked TWICE on SEPARATE occassions about not wanting to see Jeremy Corbyn naked in negotiations with the EU?

Where was the outrage?

Imagine if it was Corbyn that said that about Theresa May, what would the outrage be like in the media? Calling him misogynist and feminist, "he is not fit to rule"?

SJW crap!

Are you ok? You're sounding more and more irrational :s-smilie:

Did you actually read anything around then? There was plenty of outrage - even Robert Peston pointed out how it was double standards https://twitter.com/Peston/status/869557596407156738
Original post by PQ
He is leading the "Decolonising the Curriculum Faculty Research Initiative - a group formed to push for changes in curricula across the university" - of which the letter was a part of their work https://www.facebook.com/events/349079038874345/

He may not have written the letter but nor did the other 160 signatories that you're ignoring - and he's leading the initiative that encouraged the students to have this discussion and feed it into the English Faculty Teaching Forum.

Well, I only know of the person that wrote the letter, not the SJW leading it.

Obviously anyone that supports using the race card unnecessarily deserves the oppobrium they get.
Well, I only know of the person that wrote the letter, not the SJW leading it.

Obviously anyone that supports using the race card unnecessarily deserves the oppobrium they get.

So because you're too lazy to google or even read the list of signatories you'll go after the person the Telegraph put on their front page?

Do you swallow everything else the newspapers publish so uncritically or is it just when it targets a black woman?
Original post by PQ
Are you ok? You're sounding more and more irrational :s-smilie:

Did you actually read anything around then? There was plenty of outrage - even Robert Peston pointed out how it was double standards https://twitter.com/Peston/status/869557596407156738

I am very Ok. You are sounding stupid.

Do you know what outrage is?

The link of a singular tweet you provided is your evidence of "plenty of outrage" and you have the pure audacity to ask if I am okay based on this stupidity.

Show me media outrage like the one you would have seen if it was a man that did the same?

If so, show me the outrage. Otherwise keep quiet!

Spend some time to show me where it was discussed on TV with a panel and the questions asked "Is she fit to be a leader despite being sexist". Show me the front page headlines. Then I would retract my statement about your stupidity.
Original post by PQ
So because you're too lazy to google or even read the list of signatories you'll go after the person the Telegraph put on their front page?

Do you swallow everything else the newspapers publish so uncritically or is it just when it targets a black woman?

Are you really this thick?

They are all condemnable. Including her.

If she decides to front it, then she deserves the singling out problem she has.
I am very Ok. You are sounding stupid.

Do you know what outrage is?

The link of a singular tweet you provided is your evidence of "plenty of outrage" and you have the pure audacity to ask if I am okay based on this stupidity.

Show me media outrage like the one you would have seen if it was a man that did the same?

If so, show me the outrage. Otherwise keep quiet!

Spend some time to show me where it was discussed on TV with a panel and the questions asked "Is she fit to be a leader despite being sexist". Show me the front page headlines. Then I would retract my statement about your stupidity.

Search for yourself for the outrage - I'm not here to google for you - there was plenty at the time. Twitter was full of it (from MSM and other sources) - again if you missed it it isn't my job to find it for you. Get better at researching or look beyond the front pages or start curating your sources better.

You sound like you're having some sort of crisis - is there anyone you can talk to in meat space about how angry you get at imagined enemies?
Are you really this thick?

They are all condemnable. Including her.

If she decides to front it, then she deserves the singling out problem she has.

She wrote a letter to her faculty dean on behalf of 161 students, alumni and staff for discussion at a Teaching Forum. How does that deserve singling out on the front page of a national newspaper?
You sound like you're having some sort of crisis - is there anyone you can talk to in meat space about how angry you get at imagined enemies?

Yes, you are realy, really that thick.

I should search for the thing I argue does not exist.:facepalm:

You have double padding.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by shadowdweller
Why is it nonsense to request more diversity, assuming it can still meet sufficient levels of difficulty for the students?

Because the criterion for inclusion in a literature course should be the quality of the work being considered, not the colour of the skin, or sex of the person who created it.
Original post by PQ
She wrote a letter to her faculty dean on behalf of 161 students, alumni and staff for discussion at a Teaching Forum. How does that deserve singling out on the front page of a national newspaper?

Try the first 4 words of your own post.

*Jesus, save him!*:biggrin:

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ

She wanted the notoriety when she wrote that letter (although it may have been more than she realised) and totally deserves the opprobrium.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?

I don't take Cheerios.

Have another go. This time, be smarter.

I linked you to a tweet that demonstrated your “no outrage recollection was rose tinted memory. The replies and quotes to that tweet had more references. But that’s not enough you want people ranting at a camera:rolleyes: you’re lazy

Why are you so adamant that no outrage occurred? Are you that bad at researching or just in complete denial about how biased your sources were or how poor your memory is?

Try the first 4 words of your own post.

*Jesus, save him!*:biggrin:

A) I’m not a him
B) Jesus can bite me
C) If you wrote a letter to your local Nando’s complaining about the toilets that wouldn’t deserve front page in a national newspaper. What’s different about a normal part of university curriculum development? Are you avoiding the question because the answer includes “black” and “woman”?
I don't take Cheerios.

Have another go. This time, be smarter.

You seem rather triggered. Try some Cheerios.
Original post by generallee
She wanted the notoriety when she wrote that letter (although it may have been more than she realised) and totally deserves the opprobrium.

How disproportionately spiteful. But of course you’d say that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by generallee

So why get 160 co signatures?

1/161 isn’t really asking for notoriety

And why send it to the faculty dean/teaching forum and not to the national press or ministers?

You’re deluded if you think that’s the actions of someone looking for notoriety
Original post by PQ
I linked you to a tweet that demonstrated your “no outrage recollection was rose tinted memory. The replies and quotes to that tweet had more references. But that’s not enough you want people ranting at a camera:rolleyes: you’re lazy

Why are you so adamant that no outrage occurred? Are you that bad at researching or just in complete denial about how biased your sources were or how poor your memory is?

A) I’m not a him
B) Jesus can bite me
C) If you wrote a letter to your local Nando’s complaining about the toilets that wouldn’t deserve front page in a national newspaper. What’s different about a normal part of university curriculum development? Are you avoiding the question because the answer includes “black” and “woman”?

So, in your esteemed "intellectual" world, a tweet is an example of media outrage?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending