The Student Room Group

Medicine Studies in the UK

Hello I'm Cara and I live in France. I've got two more years to go before I pass my
Baccalaureat what would be the equivalent of A levels in the UK. I've been wantig
for some time now to go to university after I've finished school and study
medicine.
More specificly, I'm interesting in caring for children, such as a pediatrician.
I would like to do my studying in the UK but I have a few questions. It would be
great if I could get in touch on this forum with someone that's just qualified, or
that's studying medicine in the UK. Firstly, I want to know if the system of the
national health service is an inconvenient while studying medicine in the UK?
Apparently many doctors that have studied in the uk, leave to work in another
countries because of the national health service. I want to know is the national
health service an incovenient to stay and work in the uk ? As I live in France at the moment, I want to know if I study medicine and qualify in the UK if I could work
in France; or if I study medicine in France and qualify could I work in England ?
Due to the Brexit, once the uk comes out of the EU, would that be an incovenient
for me ? I do have the two nationalities, English and French and at the moment I'm at school in an internationnal school so I have english literature and history
geography lessons.

Thanks
Cara
Original post by Cara Raynaud
Hello I'm Cara and I live in France. I've got two more years to go before I pass my
Baccalaureat what would be the equivalent of A levels in the UK. I've been wantig
for some time now to go to university after I've finished school and study
medicine.
More specificly, I'm interesting in caring for children, such as a pediatrician.
I would like to do my studying in the UK but I have a few questions. It would be
great if I could get in touch on this forum with someone that's just qualified, or
that's studying medicine in the UK. Firstly, I want to know if the system of the
national health service is an inconvenient while studying medicine in the UK?
Apparently many doctors that have studied in the uk, leave to work in another
countries because of the national health service. I want to know is the national
health service an incovenient to stay and work in the uk ? As I live in France at the moment, I want to know if I study medicine and qualify in the UK if I could work
in France; or if I study medicine in France and qualify could I work in England ?
Due to the Brexit, once the uk comes out of the EU, would that be an incovenient
for me ? I do have the two nationalities, English and French and at the moment I'm at school in an internationnal school so I have english literature and history
geography lessons.

Thanks
Cara

The first thing that I would worry about is meeting the entry requirements. It seems like you don't have any science or maths which would automatically rule out medicine for you. Studying in the UK trains you to work in the NHS which is one of the best healthcare systems in the world so I doubt most docs will say that it's inconvenient to their training! People move for a variety of reasons. You'll have to check about the transferability of your qualifications to other countries and vice versa. No one really knows how Brexit will affect most things so we just have to wait and see unfortunately. If you have dual nationality though you will be treated the same as UK students in terms of getting a job. Student finance is a separate issue though.
Hello,
Thank you for replying to my post. I have another question to ask, when you study medicine in the UK, when you're an interne in a hospital, are the conditions good for students working for the NHS ?Finally, in your last post you sent me, you wrote that I should check the entry requirements but where could I see them ?
Original post by Cara Raynaud
Hello,
Thank you for replying to my post. I have another question to ask, when you study medicine in the UK, when you're an interne in a hospital, are the conditions good for students working for the NHS ?Finally, in your last post you sent me, you wrote that I should check the entry requirements but where could I see them ?

Students are students and you will be treated the same as everyone else. It's a good way to understand the doctors' working conditions in the UK but no you won't get any special treatment for being a student. Each uni will have their entry requirements on their website so it's a question of doing your research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending