The Student Room Group

If you don't go to Oxbridge or a Russel group you've wasted over £30'000

I've heard a lot of people, especially teachers, slyly voice this opinion.

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure @Doonesbury has answered this question so many times he probably doesn't want to bang out his graph anymore.
Original post by Wikia
I'm sure @Doonesbury has answered this question so many times he probably doesn't want to bang out his graph anymore.

Oh no :biggrin: loool he's gonna have to fetch the graph again
The thing is though there's plenty of excellent unis that aren't Russell Group. Bath and Surrey spring to mind for me, both of which consistently rank top 10 for loads of different courses.
Original post by Wikia

What is this graph you speak of?
Pretty much true unless your studying medicine or a vocational degree.

A degree from polytechnic will only equip you to do jobs done by A Level School Leavers 20 years ago
Original post by supalape
The thing is though there's plenty of excellent unis that aren't Russell Group. Bath and Surrey spring to mind for me, both of which consistently rank top 10 for loads of different courses.

Original post by supalape

Yeh I agree Bath, Surrey, St Andrews even Kent! But I still feel like there's some sort of stigma attached to not going to a Russel group uni.. or maybe I'm overreacting. Durham & York were only added in 2012 I think
Reply 7
Original post by Wikia

Original post by liquidconfidence
Oh no :biggrin: loool he's gonna have to fetch the graph again

:flute:

Original post by Chaz254
What is this graph you speak of?

Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads.png

Source: http://www.cbi.org.uk/index.cfm/_api/render/file/?method=inline&fileID=DB1A9FE5-5459-4AA2-8B44798DD5B15E77
Realistically,
Is there a correlation between those more academic and those who attend Russell Group universities? YES.
Do you need to have gone to a Russell Group university to get the same graduate opportunities as those who don't? Mostly NO.
Are there very good exceptions to the Russell Group? YES. e.g. Bath, Surrey, St Andrews. Durham and Exeter and others only joined in 2012.
Does degree classification matter more than the university? YES. except maybe with IB/Law

So those more academically able/high aiming generally attend the Russell Group, but it's not a waste if you don't.
(edited 6 years ago)

Whoa whoa but wait, how would they know a graduates attitude and aptitude for work apart from what's written in their CV/Cover letter.
Degree result I agree with but wouldn't employers think a 2.1 from let's say Durham or Oxford is better than a first from UEL? I feel like they'd argue that the course from Oxford was more 'rigorous'.
Also subject is an obvious, relative factor. With the exception of Law, of course they'd be more likely to accept a politics int relations or economics degree for a government job than they would let's say classics or anthropology :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by edd522
It really depends on the job.

Only in a very few cases, and those cases are becoming less common.

Some top law and consulting firms, for example, are moving to blind applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edd522
It really depends on the job.

I agree with this. With banking/law (specifically IB's and Barristers) often Oxbridge 2.1 graduates are taken over all others with 1st class degrees.
I've heard a lot of people, especially teachers, slyly voice this opinion.

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek

Absolute rubbish.There are great unis whihc aren't RG and some degrees are better at the newer unis which offer a year in industry.
For example, if you want to work in Formula one you don't go to Oxbridge or an RG uni -
Reply 14
Whoa whoa but wait, how would they know a graduates attitude and aptitude for work apart from what's written in their CV/Cover letter.
Degree result I agree with but wouldn't employers think a 2.1 from let's say Durham or Oxford is better than a first from UEL? I feel like they'd argue that the course from Oxford was more 'rigorous'.
Also subject is an obvious, relative factor. With the exception of Law, of course they'd be more likely to accept a politics int relations or economics degree for a government job than they would let's say classics or anthropology :biggrin:

Because you will of course have been getting summer jobs in a relevant field. And taking part in super curricular activities at university. And from the job interview and/or selection tests. Etc, etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Absolute rubbish.There are great unis whihc aren't RG and some degrees are better at the newer unis which offer a year in industry.
For example, if you want to work in Formula one you don't go to Oxbridge or an RG uni -

Hold on, so there's no recent RG grads at Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 (winners of 4 consecutive F1 Constructors Championships)?

Let's see: hmm... 17 recent grads are listed at Mercedes of which 50% are RG (including Oxbridge).

They employ good people, not just grads of "newer unis".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GovernmentEarner
I agree with this. With banking/law (specifically IB's and Barristers) often Oxbridge 2.1 graduates are taken over all others with 1st class degrees.

employers only heavily recruit from oxbridge for law/MBB consulting, for IB its a mix between oxbridge, lse, ucl, warwick, imperial
No employer cares if your university is Russell Group or not. If you go to a good uni and get a good result that is all most employers will care about, if you're doing a degree that is designed to lead into a line of work then the reputation of that course at that uni might be taken into consideration but RG status won't factor most people can't even list all the unis in the RG.

Yes the Russell Group universities are in the top 40ish percent of university rankings in the country but not every university in that percentile is RG. Go by the universities reputation regarding the subject you want to study. This goes doubly so if your subject is not based around research as that is what the RG is about.
Haha, I go to a non-RG (Bath) and know several people who have lucrative IB grad jobs lined up. RG doesn't matter, being a good candidate does.

Edit: Also, if you go to an ex-poly, students at the traditional university nearby will look down on you, but generally it's just a bit of banter.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pro Crastination
Haha, I go to a non-RG (Bath) and know several people who have lucrative IB grad jobs lined up. RG doesn't matter, being a good candidate does.

Bath is a bit of an exception tbh, it's better than half if not most of RG unis like St Andrew's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending