The Student Room Group

I'm giving up chocolate again in 2018 - ideally for good

2015 was the year I went chocolate free. I decided to do it to see if I noticed a difference in my energy levels, tiredness, that kind of thing. I noticed no such difference. So as Big Ben rang in 2016, I ate chocolate straight away. I remember that moment. To be honest, I didn't really miss chocolate. So after eating chocolate again for almost 2 years, I've realised it's become too big a part of my every day diet. I spend way too much money on chocolate, specifically from Hotel Chocolat.

I know people say don't ban yourself completely from eating foods but I know me - if I eat even one chocolate thing, that'll be it and I'll eat chocolate whenever the offer arises. So I have to completely ban it in order to really succeed.

I have an unhealthy amount of fat around my stomach. I don't know for sure it's an unhealthy amount. But I know having a lot of fat in that area can be dangerous to your health. I'm too scared to use the body fat machine at the gym to tell me for certain. I can just feel it. I want to lose the fat around my stomach and become a little slimmer. I know I've put on weight recently. I used to be 54kg only about 2-3 years ago and now I'm 60kg, which is pushing it a bit for me. I'm 5'4".

So my new year's resolution for 2018 is to give up chocolate completely. I'm not starting it now simply because I know I'll break it now (I'm surrounded by chocolate as I type this), but my aim is to get rid of this stubborn belly fat.

Speaking of belly fat, what are some really good exercises to do at the gym that will help me shift it? At the moment I've stuck to the treadmill, simply because I know how to use it and won't look like a wally trying to figure out how to use it.

Scroll to see replies

How dare you betray chocolate like that
I know. I'm slightly ashamed. but you have to make sacrifices in life sometimes. Sadly this is one of them.
Original post by DrawTheLine
2015 was the year I went chocolate free. I decided to do it to see if I noticed a difference in my energy levels, tiredness, that kind of thing. I noticed no such difference. So as Big Ben rang in 2016, I ate chocolate straight away. I remember that moment. To be honest, I didn't really miss chocolate. So after eating chocolate again for almost 2 years, I've realised it's become too big a part of my every day diet. I spend way too much money on chocolate, specifically from Hotel Chocolat.

I know people say don't ban yourself completely from eating foods but I know me - if I eat even one chocolate thing, that'll be it and I'll eat chocolate whenever the offer arises. So I have to completely ban it in order to really succeed.

I have an unhealthy amount of fat around my stomach. I don't know for sure it's an unhealthy amount. But I know having a lot of fat in that area can be dangerous to your health. I'm too scared to use the body fat machine at the gym to tell me for certain. I can just feel it. I want to lose the fat around my stomach and become a little slimmer. I know I've put on weight recently. I used to be 54kg only about 2-3 years ago and now I'm 60kg, which is pushing it a bit for me. I'm 5'4".

So my new year's resolution for 2018 is to give up chocolate completely. I'm not starting it now simply because I know I'll break it now (I'm surrounded by chocolate as I type this), but my aim is to get rid of this stubborn belly fat.

Speaking of belly fat, what are some really good exercises to do at the gym that will help me shift it? At the moment I've stuck to the treadmill, simply because I know how to use it and won't look like a wally trying to figure out how to use it.

In order to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit which means that you need to burn more calories than you take in. The best ways to burn calories is by cardio - whether that be running or cycling or whatever. You should also try and do some weight training as this will also burn a few calories (but not as much) and will also help build up muscle.

You don’t have to completely get rid of chocolate (or anything for that matter). Just make sure that for the most part you’re eating healthy and getting enough water in.
I know. I'm slightly ashamed. but you have to make sacrifices in life sometimes. Sadly this is one of them.

You have targeted one type of snack, how about changing diet as a whole to healthier?
Dark chocolate actually has some benefits...
I'm doing that too. Now that I'm at uni I have more freedom to actually cook. At home, especially at my dad's it was just food from the freezer. I've been making all of my main meals from scratch which is definitely going to be a lot healthier.

My biggest problem is my snacking. A few years ago I had a problem where if I didn't eat for 3-4 hours I would faint, so I'm scared to not eat in case I faint. This means I constantly have a snack that'll stop me feeling hungry - normally Quavers, Squashies or some kind of cereal bar. I haven't fainted from not eating in about 2 years, but I'm still scared of it. I need to get over this fear, so hopefully not eating chocolate will eliminate a lot of snacks I eat, and therefore my diet will automatically become a lot healthier.

If I ever leave the house and realise I haven't got a snack, I'm constantly worrying that I'll faint, even if I only just ate breakfast or a meal 20 minutes before. In the past the feeling like I'm going to faint came on really suddenly, so the gap between feeling faint and fainting was only a matter of 2-3 minutes, which isn't ideal if I'm on the bus or walking around town.
I'm doing that too. Now that I'm at uni I have more freedom to actually cook. At home, especially at my dad's it was just food from the freezer. I've been making all of my main meals from scratch which is definitely going to be a lot healthier.

My biggest problem is my snacking. A few years ago I had a problem where if I didn't eat for 3-4 hours I would faint, so I'm scared to not eat in case I faint. This means I constantly have a snack that'll stop me feeling hungry - normally Quavers, Squashies or some kind of cereal bar. I haven't fainted from not eating in about 2 years, but I'm still scared of it. I need to get over this fear, so hopefully not eating chocolate will eliminate a lot of snacks I eat, and therefore my diet will automatically become a lot healthier.

If I ever leave the house and realise I haven't got a snack, I'm constantly worrying that I'll faint, even if I only just ate breakfast or a meal 20 minutes before. In the past the feeling like I'm going to faint came on really suddenly, so the gap between feeling faint and fainting was only a matter of 2-3 minutes, which isn't ideal if I'm on the bus or walking around town.

I heard nuts are good to snack :dontknow:
Me too, I just need to find ones I like. I love cashews but they're pretty expensive :frown:
Me too, I just need to find ones I like. I love cashews but they're pretty expensive :frown:

Don't cashews make you gassy...
Almonds.
They don't for me. Thanks - they're on my list :smile:
Giving up chocolate won't make you thinner. You need to look at your whole diet.

Also, your BMI is about 22.5 which is pretty healthy. Just saying.
Original post by TheMindGarage
Giving up chocolate won't make you thinner. You need to look at your whole diet.

Also, your BMI is about 22.5 which is pretty healthy. Just saying.

I know. I've said in previous replies that I am changing my whole diet. Chocolate makes up a big part of my diet, it's too big of a part.

BMI isn't a great indicator of health. I know for my height I'm healthy, but in terms of where my body fat is distributed, I don't think it's that healthy.
I know. I've said in previous replies that I am changing my whole diet. Chocolate makes up a big part of my diet, it's too big of a part.

BMI isn't a great indicator of health. I know for my height I'm healthy, but in terms of where my body fat is distributed, I don't think it's that healthy.

It isn't a good indicator, but you don't really need to lose any weight. And you can't control where your fat is distributed.
It isn't a good indicator, but you don't really need to lose any weight. And you can't control where your fat is distributed.

I know I don't need to and I can't control it, but I'd like to try and change it a little bit. It'll make my mental health better.
Why not give up chocolate today instead? 2018 is still two months away.

I also have a strong chocolate addiction and I wish I could eat in moderation, but if I have one then I need to have more, since one bar won’t satiate my cravings.

It wouldn’t be so bad if chocolate wasn’t so high in calories (most of them useless), but it is, and the sugar rush you get after eating a few bars puts me in a slightly depressive state after having my fill. There was a time last year where I gave up chocolate for good. My mind felt clearer, I felt stronger (from eating better food) and I was a lean machine.

So yeah. I’m also giving up chocolate. Hopefully forever. Starting from yesterday. And maybe I might just be sober one day.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Why not give up chocolate today instead? 2018 is still two months away.

I also have a strong chocolate addiction and I wish I could eat in moderation, but if I have one then I need to have more, since one bar won’t satiate my cravings.

It wouldn’t be so bad if chocolate wasn’t so high in calories (most of them useless), but it is, and the sugar rush you get after eating a few bars puts me in a slightly depressive state after having my fill. There was a time last year where I gave up chocolate for good. My mind felt clearer, I felt stronger (from eating better food) and I was a lean machine.

So yeah. I’m also giving up chocolate. Hopefully forever. Starting from yesterday. And maybe I might just be sober one day.

I said that I won't give it up now because I know I'll break it. My birthday is next week so I'll be like "oh just get a chocolate cake" And then Christmas is next and that's very chocolate filled. So in January there's not much chocolate stuff happening so it'll be easier for me to keep it up.
You have some serious will power! I couldn't give up chocolate :afraid:
I know I don't need to and I can't control it, but I'd like to try and change it a little bit. It'll make my mental health better.

If you'd rather give up chocolate, go ahead. Just don't be one of those silly fad people who give up sugar completely and end up bingeing a few weeks later.
If you'd rather give up chocolate, go ahead. Just don't be one of those silly fad people who give up sugar completely and end up bingeing a few weeks later.

I won't. I already know I can do it as I did it in 2015.
I gave up on chocolate and fizzy drinks years ago, it doesn't have a direct link to an alleviated state of being but I think it still plays its part in passive and subtle ways, like saving money, making room for healthier choices where you would eat chocolate, possibly the complete avoidance of binging on sugary treats before its too late and keeping a healthier pattern of food intake, blabla you get what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest