The Student Room Group

The Telegraph opens up black Cambridge student for barrage of online abuse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
I can't believe that people are buying into her "poor little victim" schtick.

You don't think she knows she will benefit from all this attention? It will do wonders for her career prospects.

Remember, this is her career. She's a graduate who is the Woman's SU Officer. Her profession is quite literally to be professionally outraged.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Remember, this is her career. She's a graduate who is the Woman's SU Officer. Her profession is quite literally to be professionally outraged.

She's very good at it, fair play. Outrage, outrage, outrage. :smile:

I meant after her career after university. I reckon she is set up for life now. A career boring on about white privilege in the Guardian beckons.

Or maybe she will present Channel 4 documentaries on the terrible legacy of white colonialism in Africa.

The world is her oyster after this.

Well worth a couple of rude tweets now. Which everyone in the public eye gets as a matter of course, anyway.
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
I would have thought that the clue is in the title of the course: English Literature.

English Literature means literature in English, not literature by the English.
Original post by PQ
Any other black women you despise for completely rational reasons?

Yeah!

Typical SJW, trying to say he is racist, init?

No logical argument, just bring out the -ist and -phobics from the front pocket (SJWs don't even keep it in the back pocket).:biggrin:
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
You hope she’s getting a lot of nasty racist and sexist abuse? Just to be clear, it’s her fault she’s getting abusive e-mails and that we’re not supposed to be feel sympathetic to someone who’s subjected to utter vitriol for no reason? Glad we cleared that up!

No reason?

The reason she is being subjected to vitriol is because of her attempt to malign others and hope they recieve or are scared of recieving vitriol so they let her have her way.
Original post by Fox Corner
Newspaper The Telegraph published a picture of Cambridge student Lola Olufemi under the headline "Student forces Cambridge to drop white authors", after the student had written an open letter calling for the university to include more black and ethnic minority authors on the syllabus.

Olufemi says that her facebook and her email were flooded with sexist and racist abuse after what she calls a "very targeted form of harassment” by the media.

The letter, which was signed by other English students on the course, calls for the "de-colonisation" of the syllabus, after fears that is was too concentrated on white, male authors.

What do you think? Was it right for the Telegraph to focus on this story? Do you think it was a headline designed to induce hatred towards Olufemi?

You can read the rest of the story here, an an opinion piece by Nish Kumar here.

Yeah, I noticed this. The telegraph's headline said that she wanted to remove all black authors whilst the guardian's headline said that she wanted to 'secolonise' literature.

The guardian article then explained that she wanted to broaden ltierature studies to include black authors.

Honestly at the time I didn't know who was right so I didn't really pay that much attention to the story.

If anything, Olufemi should try to sue the Telegraph for the misleading headline if they didn't already apologise.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Or maybe you could defend and elaborate on the point you're trying to make, rather than respond with a glorified 'ur too dumb to understand'.

The point was very, very clear. There was no implicity in it. I can't do better than that in explaining it to you, otherwise we would spend a few more hours with me explaining.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Yes, of course you should search for the thing you argue does not exist! Get some ****ing empirical data! How else will you know for sure whether or not it exists?! How else will you be qualified to argue with people about it?

Please go and look for a Unicorn.

When you find one, comeback and we shall discuss this further.
Original post by generallee
She's very good at it, fair play. Outrage, outrage, outrage. :smile:

I meant after her career after university. I reckon she is set up for life now. A career boring on about white privilege in the Guardian beckons.

Or maybe she will present Channel 4 documentaries on the terrible legacy of white colonialism in Africa.

The world is her oyster after this.

Well worth a couple of rude tweets now. Which everyone in the public eye gets as a matter of course, anyway.

You literarily named the two worst filth SJW media establishments in the UK.
Original post by RoyalBeams
No reason?

The reason she is being subjected to vitriol is because of her attempt to malign others and hope they recieve or are scared of recieving vitriol so they let her have her way.

There’s no evidence of any of that, but of course you have to manufacture perceived vitriol and abuse in order to justify actual racism as justified retaliation. Classic neckbeard mentality.
There’s no evidence of any of that, but of course you have to manufacture perceived vitriol and abuse in order to justify actual racism as justified retaliation. Classic neckbeard mentality.

There is no evidence of that?

Why do you think SJWs like PQ relish and see it as a weapon to label people racists?

So that others can congratulate them, genius?
(edited 6 years ago)
There is no evidence of that?

Why do you think SJWs like PQ relish and see it as a weapon to label people racists?

So that others can congratulate them, dimwit?

Of course there’s no evidence; loaded questions don’t count as evidence to a rational mind.

Angsty neckbeard thinks petulance will help him sleep better at night. You’ve been at it all day. Perhaps hydrate yourself with something other than imaginary liberal tears, and go to sleep.
Then you wasted you time then.

Don't get your point. I think you are the one that does not understand.

Because individuals have a right to decide means their decision cannot be wrong on some subjective cases?

Suggest?

You actually think that makes your position better?:biggrin:

Why would you suggest "I am asking her to go back to Africa" when I listed UK universities if your aim is not to strawman and malign me?

No time wasted on my part, I enjoyed watching you try to wriggle your way out of admitting your mistake, before finally realizing you couldn’t.

You admit yourself that you don’t get my point, so clearly you are the one who doesn’t understand. My point is that something subjective by definition cannot definitively be said to be right or wrong. If it could, it would be objective, i.e. the opposite.

“Suggest” instead of “ask”, not “suggest that you asked” instead of “ask”. It was a minor inaccuracy on my part, which you then tried to make a point out of to avoid responding to my point.

Btw, you seem to have quoted something someone else wrote as if I wrote it in another one of your posts, please don’t do that.
Original post by Phil_mitchell
lol ikr this is all a game to Him/Her and i bet he's/She's having fun. I'm not even sure whether He/She cares about the actual issue being discussed..

I'm sure they barely care about the issue, but don't worry, "debating" against this kind of nonsense is a game to me too.
Of course there’s no evidence; loaded questions don’t count as evidence to a rational mind.

Angsty neckbeard thinks petulance will help him sleep better at night. You’ve been at it all day. Perhaps hydrate yourself with something other than imaginary liberal tears, and go to sleep.

You need to hydrate your brain.

Bad enough it is full of vegetation, worse when the vegetation is withering.

Just a loaded advice. Not saying you are stupid. Have a rational mind, genius. :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tian1Sky
No time wasted on my part, I enjoyed watching you try to wriggle your way out of admitting your mistake, before finally realizing you couldn’t.

Wiggle out of it?

Mate, I enjoyed making you look stupid.:u:

You admit yourself that you don’t get my point, so clearly you are the one who doesn’t understand. My point is that something subjective by definition cannot definitively be said to be right or wrong. If it could, it would be objective, i.e. the opposite.

Who is the best footballer of all tme is subjective.

If someone said it is Ashley Cole, is that definitely not wrong?:colondollar:

“Suggest” instead of “ask”, not “suggest that you asked” instead of “ask”. It was a minor inaccuracy on my part, which you then tried to make a point out of to avoid responding to my point.

A minor inaccuracy because you thought Buckingham was in Africa?

Or a major strawman because you knew you lacked the intellect to challenge my logical points sso you thought "I will shut him up by SJW-labelling"?

Btw, you seem to have quoted something someone else wrote as if I wrote it in another one of your posts, please don’t do that.

Another attempt at starawmanning?
Wiggle out of it?

Mate, I enjoyed making you look stupid.:u:

Who is the best footballer of all tme is subjective.

If someone said it is Ashley Cole, is that definitely not wrong?:colondollar:

A minor inaccuracy because you thought Buckingham was in Africa?

Or a major strawman because you knew you lacked the intellect to challenge my logical points sso you thought "I will shut him up by SJW-labelling"?

Another attempt at starawmanning?

Rats, I’ve been found out. You’ve uncovered my hidden SJW-identity. I thought I could get away with my SJW-labeling and my crybullying, but your astonishing intellect has got the better of me. Although as an SJW I am extremely stupid and completely unable to accept any new information, I will somehow try to be enlightened by you. I am now beginning to understand that Buckingham is not in Africa, contrary to what I previously claimed, and that there are indeed objective answers to subjective questions. I also want to thank you for teaching me how to debate properly. I never knew that all it takes is just labeling everything as a strawman (or to label someone as strawmanning/starawmanning me). In all my experience as an internet SJW, all I did was strawman others, but I should have known the real way to win a debate is to accuse others of it!
Rats, I’ve been found out. You’ve uncovered my hidden SJW-identity. I thought I could get away with my SJW-labeling and my crybullying, but your astonishing intellect has got the better of me. Although as an SJW I am extremely stupid and completely unable to accept any new information, I will somehow try to be enlightened by you. I am now beginning to understand that Buckingham is not in Africa, contrary to what I previously claimed, and that there are indeed objective answers to subjective questions. I also want to thank you for teaching me how to debate properly. I never knew that all it takes is just labeling everything as a strawman (or to label someone as strawmanning/starawmanning me). In all my experience as an internet SJW, all I did was strawman others, but I should have known the real way to win a debate is to accuse others of it!

I think the Ashley Cole question did the trick.

No coming back from that if he tried to answer it.:biggrin:
I’d give her 6 months in jail
Reading people's quotes of him, I'm relishing the fact I put that cretin on ignore a long time ago. I see he has now resorted to "straw man" accusations. Hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending