The Student Room Group

What do I need to know, before English Literature A-Levels.

Hi, the summer that has just gone by, I took my GCSE'S like all other year 11's, but I had to take them at a college, so did not get to pick subjects or even do a lot of GCSE's as it was not possible. So unfortunately I was unable to take English literature, only Language that I got a 7 in.

I am planning on taking English literature as an A-Level next year, and I am just wondering if there are any specific books I need to read before taking the A-Level, E.g. do I have to read a bunch of Shakespeare, if so which ones. Also any advice on the subject would be great. Thank you.
Hey!
The books you'd need to read depend on the exam board that is chosen, for example AQA, Edexcel etc. On their websites they usually list the material they use in the course.

General tips for a level english literature personally would be:
- make sure your writing is concise. reread work and redraft it
- think outside of the box but still somewhat realistically when analysing quotes
- think about what the writer may by trying to convey, or what they are trying to make the reader feel
- sometimes understanding the context of when the novel/play was written is useful

hope this helps! and good luck!
Original post by Mckailer
Hi, the summer that has just gone by, I took my GCSE'S like all other year 11's, but I had to take them at a college, so did not get to pick subjects or even do a lot of GCSE's as it was not possible. So unfortunately I was unable to take English literature, only Language that I got a 7 in.

I am planning on taking English literature as an A-Level next year, and I am just wondering if there are any specific books I need to read before taking the A-Level, E.g. do I have to read a bunch of Shakespeare, if so which ones. Also any advice on the subject would be great. Thank you.

Its pretty straightforward. You read a book, understand what its about and then answer a question by writing an essay on it. Usually a couple of prose books, couple of Shakespeare and some poetry. If you got a 7 then you will be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Its pretty straightforward. You read a book, understand what its about and then answer a question by writing an essay on it. Usually a couple of prose books, couple of Shakespeare and some poetry. If you got a 7 then you will be fine.

I got a 9 and im struggling :frown:
ive been getting Ds constantly and Es
Original post by z_o_e

That means you haven't quite made the step up to A-Level yet :smile: don't try and do it in the same way you did GCSE, as that won't be good enough. Break out of the formula you're probably used to, look at a mark scheme, and keep practising!
Reply 5
Original post by StevetheIcecube
That means you haven't quite made the step up to A-Level yet :smile: don't try and do it in the same way you did GCSE, as that won't be good enough. Break out of the formula you're probably used to, look at a mark scheme, and keep practising!

Thats exactly the probelm ! lool
I dont know what an A level essay is supposed to look like and hoow to involve the ccritics and also context is half of the marks so im not sure where that fits in. Im working on English a lot but im enjoying the books and the analysis :smile:
What are you studying?
Original post by z_o_e

You will be fine. Look at your feedback and it will just be adjusting your style slightly.
Original post by z_o_e
I dont know what an A level essay is supposed to look like and hoow to involve the ccritics and also context is half of the marks so im not sure where that fits in. Im working on English a lot but im enjoying the books and the analysis :smile:
What are you studying?

Same! I got an 8 in GCSE but I feel so lost now
Original post by z_o_e
What are you studying?

I study History, Ancient History, and Classics, but I did Eng Lit last year and I'll be doing an AS in it alongside my A-Levels! (I dropped English for mental health reasons)

When a critic links to your view/passage or is against your view in any way, reference them! And stick context in everywhere. Literally everywhere. Making a point about women? Context. Something about mental health? Author context. Family? Context. Literally anything you say, link it to context.
Reply 9
Original post by magicbeans1212
Same! I got an 8 in GCSE but I feel so lost now

Same here.
What exam board are you doing for Lit?
Also, what are you other options along side?
Original post by z_o_e
Same here.
What exam board are you doing for Lit?
Also, what are you other options along side?

OCR wby?
Bio and chem
Reply 11
Original post by StevetheIcecube
I study History, Ancient History, and Classics, but I did Eng Lit last year and I'll be doing an AS in it alongside my A-Levels! (I dropped English for mental health reasons)

When a critic links to your view/passage or is against your view in any way, reference them! And stick context in everywhere. Literally everywhere. Making a point about women? Context. Something about mental health? Author context. Family? Context. Literally anything you say, link it to context.

Ayy wow that seems interesting!

Thank you so much. I just struggle and im not sure where to put it in the paragraph you see. Im totally lost.
Reply 12
OCR wby?
Bio and chem

Im doing OCR too!
Original post by z_o_e
Im doing OCR too!

What texts are you studying
Reply 14
What texts are you studying

The Bloody Chamber
Rossetti
Dorian Gray
A Dolls house
not sure about the rest
Original post by z_o_e
The Bloody Chamber
Rossetti
Dorian Gray
A Dolls house
not sure about the rest

No Shakespeare?

I would put money on you that you will get an A.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
No Shakespeare?

I would put money on you that you will get an A.

Yes we have Shakespeare alongside with Drama and poetry but im not sure which book we are actually studying for Shakespeare.
LOL, i have no hope for that. Id be lucky enough at this rate to even get a CCC for my subjects. Im doing Philosophy alongside and theres SO MUCH content!

I love English the most though.

Do you have any revision tips? What subjects are you studying? x

Quick Reply

Latest