The Student Room Group

is my national insurance number at risk?

hello so i started a new job at a store i am a security i found this job on gumtree the guy just told me to start on monday without cv or any details he told me to bring my passport and ni number on monday and that he will come and photocopy it but he never came and then on tuesday he never came i only work on monday and tuesday but i may work on saturday sometimes now he messages me asking me to send my documents as a text message i convinced him for only ni number as i hate giving out personal details for some reason but what can he do with my ni? i searched up the company name its legit and he is the director and Secretary of the company and name is correct and his shown active im just worried if he does something fraudy with my details

Scroll to see replies

I'd be concerned at the fact that you were offered a job on the spot, no interview and no CV needed. :lol: That's unheard of nowadays but is usually reserved for the *****iest jobs with *****y managers. Considering he's not turned up to work to even greet you is even more fishy to me. I would ask if you could meet him first and give him the information then, which I think you're perfectly entitled to do. Better to be safe than sorry, specifically with your passport.

Original post by stack__
hello so i started a new job at a store i am a security i found this job on gumtree the guy just told me to start on monday without cv or any details he told me to bring my passport and ni number on monday and that he will come and photocopy it but he never came and then on tuesday he never came i only work on monday and tuesday but i may work on saturday sometimes now he messages me asking me to send my documents as a text message i convinced him for only ni number as i hate giving out personal details for some reason but what can he do with my ni? i searched up the company name its legit and he is the director and Secretary of the company and name is correct and his shown active im just worried if he does something fraudy with my details
Say you'd prefer to exchange the details in person, just for fear of your details getting into the wrong hands in terms of online hackers and stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by hannxm
I'd be concerned at the fact that you were offered a job on the spot, no interview and no CV needed. :lol: That's unheard of nowadays but is usually reserved for the *****iest jobs with *****y managers. Considering he's not turned up to work to even greet you is even more fishy to me. I would ask if you could meet him first and give him the information then, which I think you're perfectly entitled to do. Better to be safe than sorry, specifically with your passport.

apparently i work for a security company and they send security to the store... im not gonna give him my passport only national insurance number ....
I think the most someone can do with your NI number (if they have your full name and other personal details), is basically commit identity fraud... to get a job. I've not heard of that happening though so I think you're all good.

Original post by stack__
apparently i work for a security company and they send security to the store... im not gonna give him my passport only national insurance number ....
Reply 5
Original post by hannxm
I think the most someone can do with your NI number (if they have your full name and other personal details), is basically commit identity fraud... to get a job. I've not heard of that happening though so I think you're all good.

Ok :wink: I mean If that happens what can i do and I also think this job is temporary so after I'm done with it how can I know if I'm still shown as working ?
Original post by stack__
Ok :wink: I mean If that happens what can i do and I also think this job is temporary so after I'm done with it how can I know if I'm still shown as working ?

You would have to contact whoever it is that controls NI numbers. I've forgotten who it is exactly.
Reply 7
Original post by hannxm
You would have to contact whoever it is that controls NI numbers. I've forgotten who it is exactly.

Hm revenue customs?
Original post by stack__
Hm revenue customs?

Sounds about right. Have a look on the GOV site - there's likely a helpline.
Reply 9
Original post by hannxm
Sounds about right. Have a look on the GOV site - there's likely a helpline.

Alright also I am in full time education if I'm shown as part time working will my child benefit get cut off?
Original post by stack__
Alright also I am in full time education if I'm shown as part time working will my child benefit get cut off?

From what I hear, it doesn't seem to affect your benefits, but I have no idea so I'd suggest you look into it yourself to check you're not breaking any rules!
Reply 11
Original post by hannxm
From what I hear, it doesn't seem to affect your benefits, but I have no idea so I'd suggest you look into it yourself to check you're not breaking any rules!

Alright I am also planning to give 1 letter wrong in my ni number how will he find out if it's wrong if he messages me I'll say I saw it wrong it something as I don't like giving out my ni number
Original post by stack__

No. As long as you are in full time education your mum or dad will continue to receive child benefits
How old are you?
You should speak to someone to get advice about this job. As far as I am aware security guards in the uk are required to obtain a license to work Not 100% on the rules but find out if you are working legally and get the right training
Original post by stack__
Alright I am also planning to give 1 letter wrong in my ni number how will he find out if it's wrong if he messages me I'll say I saw it wrong it something as I don't like giving out my ni number

Your national insurance number is used by hmrc to calculate your tax and ni contribution. That all counts to your pension and entitlement to benefits
They will know immediately that it does not tally with your details
Your employer requires it to send the deduction from your wages to the tax office
There’s no way to not do it.
Showing your passport is also required. You should be more worried if they don’t ask. An employer is required by law to get proof that you are entitled to live and work in the uk
It is the right thing to do
To be honest, you don’t actually sound as if you’re ready for work yet.
(edited 6 years ago)
He's got a legal responsibility to confirm you've got the right to work in the UK - that's why he needs to take a copy of your passport. A NI number by itself isn't enough. He's breaking the law. Leave.

Oh, and please use sentences.
Original post by Duncan2012
He's got a legal responsibility to confirm you've got the right to work in the UK - that's why he needs to take a copy of your passport. A NI number by itself isn't enough. He's breaking the law. Leave.

Oh, and please use sentences.

but it adds suspense
Original post by stack__

They are legitamate requests to ask for before you work there, but could potentially be used for identity fraud. If you are suspicious, it's worth waiting to meet in person first.
Reply 17
Original post by Hatter_2
They are legitamate requests to ask for before you work there, but could potentially be used for identity fraud. If you are suspicious, it's worth waiting to meet in person first.

how bad can a identity fraud be?
Original post by stack__

Uh, just ring him and say that you would like to meet him first and give him the information in person. If he's not a ****, he shouldn't really refuse.

Original post by stack__
how bad can a identity fraud be?

It can be horrendous to be a victim of identity fraud.
Original post by stack__
............../QUOTE]

He is trying to do the legal thing, as others have said. There is nothing suspicious in this, an employer is legally obliged to see you are entitled to work in the UK and your passport is the most usual way of doing this. He should see your passport in person and take a photocopy for the company records. They need your NI number in order to pay you. There's no fraud implied or involved, this is entirely standard employment practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending