The Student Room Group

If you don't go to Oxbridge or a Russel group you've wasted over £30'000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pro Crastination
Haha, I go to a non-RG (Bath) and know several people who have lucrative IB grad jobs lined up. RG doesn't matter, being a good candidate does.

De facto Russell Group. Doesn't count.
How about Sussex, Lancaster, Reading, UEA, Bath, Kent, Leicester? All good universities.
Original post by nashh606
Bath is a bit of an exception tbh, it's better than half if not most of RG unis like St Andrew's

True but the argument was about RG/Oxbridge defining whether a degree is worth doing, which clearly isn't the case.

If we're talking about recruiters targeting certain universities, probably, but only in specific fields (e.g. law). In terms of most graduate recuriters, I think it's a correlation/causation problem. The best and brightest tend to go to the best universities, so of course the 'best' universities are going to dominate recruitment cycles. It doesn't neccessarily mean that somebody at a middling university, who has the same professional skills, internships and extra curricular activities as someone at a decent RG institution is automatically in a worse position, though.
Original post by liquidconfidence
I've heard a lot of people, especially teachers, slyly voice this opinion.

It depends - it's certainly possible to have a very good career with a degree from a university that is considered mediocre. However, I would say that, if you've wasted the opportunity, then it's the tax payer that will have lost the money, as you're never going to pay back your 'loans'.
Not all Russell Group Universities are worth much. They only survive because of the RG label. I agree that some non-RG universities may actually be better than certain RG unis.

I think there should be a change in the structure of Russell Group. There should be three tiers:

1. The Big 8: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, LSE, Edinburgh, UCL and Kings College London.
2. Russell Group
3. Non-Russell Group Universities

To the OP, i think focus is moving aware from where you went to school. Except certain jobs like probably Medicine or Law, most employers don't care about whether you went to Cambridge or Southampton.

To people, i suggest that you attend the "best" university that you can possibly attend. Dont waste yourself studying a mediocre course in a dead-end university.
nice. my mate grauated from teesside now works for 2nd biggest oil company in the world

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek

This is complete ********.. There is plenty of prestigious universities that are not oxbridge or Russell Group... Look at surrey, reading, bath, lancaster, sussex, St Andrews, loughborough, UEA.. just to name a few. These universities are fantastic!

Russell group does not mean anything these days..
Original post by Wired_1800
Not all Russell Group Universities are worth much. They only survive because of the RG label. I agree that some non-RG universities may actually be better than certain RG unis.

I think there should be a change in the structure of Russell Group. There should be three tiers:

1. The Big 8: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, LSE, Edinburgh, UCL and Kings College London.
2. Russell Group

To the OP, i think focus is moving aware from where you went to school. Except certain jobs like probably Medicine or Law, most employers don't care about whether you went to Cambridge or Southampton.

To people, i suggest that you attend the "best" university that you can possibly attend. Dont waste yourself studying a mediocre course in a dead-end university.

I agree with you on this post but I don't think KCL is part of the 'Big 8' Durham is...
Original post by Pro Crastination
True but the argument was about RG/Oxbridge defining whether a degree is worth doing, which clearly isn't the case.

If we're talking about recruiters targeting certain universities, probably, but only in specific fields (e.g. law). In terms of most graduate recuriters, I think it's a correlation/causation problem. The best and brightest tend to go to the best universities, so of course the 'best' universities are going to dominate recruitment cycles. It doesn't neccessarily mean that somebody at a middling university, who has the same professional skills, internships and extra curricular activities as someone at a decent RG institution is automatically in a worse position, though.

Yeah I agree, it's baffling how people don't realise the correlation/causation issue when it comes to the job market.

2. Russell Group

Why big 8? That's not even something that's very official. If you're going to put something at the top pedestal, it should really be Oxbridge and LSE/Imperial.

Manchester, Edinburgh and KCL have too many downfalls to really be put on the same level when there's better unis like St Andrews and Warwick.

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek

People won't 'look down' on you. You'll just be subject to some rather rude memes.

I'm at Univ. Edinburgh and if you go on the 'Edimeme' page, every other meme is one taking the piss out of Edinburgh Napier. That's probably as far as it will go.
Reply 31
I feel so ashamed of my university. It is neither of those. Grrr
Original post by nashh606
Why big 8? That's not even something that's very official. If you're going to put something at the top pedestal, it should really be Oxbridge and LSE/Imperial.

Manchester, Edinburgh and KCL have too many downfalls to really be put on the same level when there's better unis like St Andrews and Warwick.

I chose 8 to be able to form the "Ivy League" of the UK. Those 8 unis mentioned are the best 8 UK universities in the world ranking.

IMG_1118.PNG

I think these universities can stand on their own and compete against the top universities in other countries.

Warwick has been destroyed on many threads for being a bit overrated. If you remove Maths and Economics, many folks seem to agree that Warwick is just a bog-standard university.

Nobody really knows about St Andrews or what they do well. If you ask, people will just say, "oh, was that where Prince William and Kate Middleton went to uni?"

I am not stating they are not good universities. I think there needs to be a real shake up in the university system, so students know the value of their degree.

Imagine someone paying about £9,000 for a degree at Cambridge or Manchester, whilst another person is paying the same £9,000 at a really low-performing university with the Russell Group label. It is daylight robbery.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NKSSSSS09
I agree with you on this post but I don't think KCL is part of the 'Big 8' Durham is...

That is up for debate, mate.

IMG_1118.PNG

The 8 best universities in the UK filtered from the world ranking.
That is up for debate, mate.

IMG_1118.PNG

The 8 best universities in the UK filtered from the world ranking.

I don't really trust THE rankings..
Reply 35
Non of that matters after graduation, as most big companies do not take into consideration the uni you attend and hide your uni name in the application (e.g. PwC, Deliotte).

Nowadays it just seems to be teachers, parents and non university students that seem to be too obsessed over RG uni.
Reply 36

2. Russell Group

The university you go to definitely does not affect your employment chances for medicine. Pretty much everyone who seeks employment is hired by the NHS and all courses are monitored by the GMC which set most of the exams so there isn't as much room for variance as in other courses. You are just talking out of your arse here mate.
Original post by NKSSSSS09
I don't really trust THE rankings..

That is fair but people would not trust other ranking agencies. Prestige is all about perception supported by the right facts.

We can argue about how Warwick is better than Edinburgh or why Kings is not as strong as Bristol. In the end, we would have to agree to disagree.

It is the reason why i think that more needs to be done. The Big 8 universities need to leave Russell Group and form their own Union, which will clearly separate them from the rest.
Original post by ∆us
The university you go to definitely does not affect your employment chances for medicine. Pretty much everyone who seeks employment is hired by the NHS and all courses are monitored by the GMC which set most of the exams so there isn't as much room for variance as in other courses. You are just talking out of your arse here mate.

That is why I used the word "probably", you need to improve on your reading skills.

I have medic friends that have a handful of medical schools that they want to study medicine at because of the "opportunities" there.
That is fair but people would not trust other ranking agencies. Prestige is all about perception supported by the right facts.

We can argue about how Warwick is better than Edinburgh or why Kings is not as strong as Bristol. In the end, we would have to agree to disagree.

It is the reason why i think that more needs to be done. The Big 8 universities need to leave Russell Group and form their own Union, which will clearly separate them from the rest.

Thats true.. I recon they should or just become their own entities! However there was the 1994 group I think before the Russell group which had some 'low rate' universities in which I think fell apart? I think the Russell group is quite strong and probably won't fall apart!

Quick Reply

Latest