The Student Room Group

I don't eat even when I want to...

OK so recently I have stopped eating much. It kind of started when I was really anxious about something (2 weeks ago) and felt sick so much that I missed breakfast in the morning and missed lunch at college, then when I came back at 4pm I literally just slept until half 6, then ate a little. It was just a bad day,and I thought it would be normal again...I didn't really think much of it.

Every since then I did not have breakfast when I went college, and didn't bother with a full lunch either, I would just get a biscuit or a coffee or chocolate bar etc...

Now though I refuse to eat even when I want to eat... So I am hungry, I have food right in front of me, already made for me and even served by my mum (she always does that, so sweet) but I don't eat. I could and sometimes yes I have to because my mum forces me... But now I am thinking of even hiding the food so she does not find out that I have not eaten. I have even lied to her that I ate at college so that she doesn't serve me food again :frown: :frown:

It all just seems to be in my head but really I don't understand why I behave like so.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
And also I prefer when I have an empty stomach, just the feeling of being hungry. I know it's weird but I feel abnormal now
(edited 6 years ago)
Please see a doctor. You may have an eating disorder, and only a qualified doctor can properly diagnose such things.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
Please see a doctor. You may have an eating disorder, and only a qualified doctor can properly diagnose such things.

It's not an eating disorder because it is not like I don't eat because I want to be thin ygm?
Original post by LunaCat
It's not an eating disorder because it is not like I don't eat because I want to be thin ygm?

YOLO it
Original post by LunaCat

That's only anorexia, and even then, it's far more than just that. There are others. You won't know for sure unless you see someone qualified.
Reply 6
Original post by LunaCat
OK so recently I have stopped eating much. It kind of started when I was really anxious about something (2 weeks ago) and felt sick so much that I missed breakfast in the morning and missed lunch at college, then when I came back at 4pm I literally just slept until half 6, then ate a little. It was just a bad day,and I thought it would be normal again...I didn't really think much of it.

Every since then I did not have breakfast when I went college, and didn't bother with a full lunch either, I would just get a biscuit or a coffee or chocolate bar etc...

Now though I refuse to eat even when I want to eat... So I am hungry, I have food right in front of me, already made for me and even served by my mum (she always does that, so sweet) but I don't eat. I could and sometimes yes I have to because my mum forces me... But now I am thinking of even hiding the food so she does not find out that I have not eaten. I have even lied to her that I ate at college so that she doesn't serve me food again :frown: :frown:

It all just seems to be in my head but really I don't understand why I behave like so.

Whatever is going on here it's clearly a mh issue of some form so I suggest you see your GP and ask if you could get a referral to a service like CAMHS or therapy. If nothing else it will be good to help you work through your anxiety.

You know you need to eat and don't seem to have much reason you don't want to eat so I would suggest trying to get yourself back into the habit of eating. I think sometimes if you go without eating for whatever reason (maybe being ill) you get into the habit of not eating and that starts to feel normal to you. It happened to me after my tonsillectomy cos I couldn't eat for a few days. Seems it might be happening to you after an anxiety flare.
Try to remind your body that this isn't normal and it's not the right habit to be in. You need to use logic here- it may feel good, but you know it isn't and that it can cause health issues for you.

If logic or just forging yourself to change habits doesn't work then I really suggest you see somebody cos it shows there's something a bit more complex going on.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by xCaHx
Eating disorders aren't always caused by wanting to be thin for many it's the same, it's the need of controlling things to the extreme and having no other way to cope. Louis theroux just made a documentary on anorexia, you should watch it, maybe you might be able to relate. It's so much more than wanting to be thin.

I'll watch it now
Original post by LunaCat

People with eating disorders eat. You die pretty fast if you stop eating entirely. Many people with anorexia eat 1000 calories a day.

And the wanting to be thin thing isn't something you see in everyone with an eating disorder and often it comes after the start of the disorder anyway as more of a 'justification' for behaviour that just doesn't make sense. Or it works as a distraction - you think about weight and not your problems.

You are certainly exhibiting signs of developing an eating disorder, some epople are more susceptible than others. You won't be diagnosed or treated after a couple of weeks but you should really be trying to force yourself to eat. Once you're adequately nourished again you'll start to feel a lot better and a lot more inclined to eat. it will only get harder the longer you wait to eat properly.
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
People with eating disorders eat. You die pretty fast if you stop eating entirely. Many people with anorexia eat 1000 calories a day.

And the wanting to be thin thing isn't something you see in everyone with an eating disorder and often it comes after the start of the disorder anyway as more of a 'justification' for behaviour that just doesn't make sense. Or it works as a distraction - you think about weight and not your problems.

You are certainly exhibiting signs of developing an eating disorder, some epople are more susceptible than others. You won't be diagnosed or treated after a couple of weeks but you should really be trying to force yourself to eat. Once you're adequately nourished again you'll start to feel a lot better and a lot more inclined to eat. it will only get harder the longer you wait to eat properly.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
So you want people to tell you that you have an eating disorder, but then refuse you have an eating disorder so people will further tell you the truth and give you attention? You know what's going on, or maybe you want that to happen.
This is somethin I've once struggled with, to the extent that the mere sight of food would make me cry. Can't say for eveyone, but I had to "force" myself to eat even though I was in tears the whole way through and it would take me hours to finish a little amount.
The more you go without food, the harder it becomes to eat.
If nothing helps, if theres no increase, visit the doctors. Either there's an underlying condition or its an ED, both for whoch hopefully help is available.
Original post by LunaCat
1000? omg I dont even have 100 calories a day :redface: I am actually so worried

Spoiler

It is an eating disorder caused by these other things you don't want to be worried about. Please talk to someone about it.
*hugs*
Original post by LunaCat
1000? omg I dont even have 100 calories a day :redface: I am actually so worried

Spoiler

I wouldn't post things like that on a forum. There will be anorexics who will click and read this and be triggered. What you eat or don't eat isn't really the important point here - the important point is that you don't eat enough and don't feel able to increase it. If you can't increase what you eat then you need to see a doctor and get some help.

It may seem like weight is a better concern than whatever else is going on but trust me, it's not.
Original post by Kathy89
It is an eating disorder caused by these other things you don't want to be worried about. Please talk to someone about it.
*hugs*

It's OK I forced myself to eat today!
Original post by doodle_333
I wouldn't post things like that on a forum. There will be anorexics who will click and read this and be triggered. What you eat or don't eat isn't really the important point here - the important point is that you don't eat enough and don't feel able to increase it. If you can't increase what you eat then you need to see a doctor and get some help.

It may seem like weight is a better concern than whatever else is going on but trust me, it's not.

I have removed it sorry.

Thankyou x

Quick Reply