The Student Room Group

If you don't go to Oxbridge or a Russel group you've wasted over £30'000

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wired_1800
That is why I used the word "probably", you need to improve on your reading skills.

I have medic friends that have a handful of medical schools that they want to study medicine at because of the "opportunities" there.

Probably, are you serious? Why comment on something if you do not know whether you are right or wrong? Yet, you have the gall to insult my reading when you cannot use correct SPG. Sick of TSR being filled with people who spread misinformation.

If you don't know something don't put it down.
I have never and probably will never understand the obsession some of my peers have with RG Unis. I can name quite a few non RG Unis that rank higher than RG ones with metrics that carry substance.
Reply 42
Original post by NKSSSSS09
Thats true.. I recon they should or just become their own entities! However there was the 1994 group I think before the Russell group which had some 'low rate' universities in which I think fell apart? I think the Russell group is quite strong and probably won't fall apart!

1994 Group was set-up in response to the RG. i.e. it came the RG was established, and some 1994s later joined the RG including LSE, Durham and Warwick.
Original post by Doonesbury
1994 Group was set-up in response to the RG. i.e. it came the RG was established, and some 1994s later joined the RG including LSE, Durham and Warwick.

Ohh okay. I read something a bit different somewhere! What happened to the group and why did it disband?
Thats true.. I recon they should or just become their own entities! However there was the 1994 group I think before the Russell group which had some 'low rate' universities in which I think fell apart? I think the Russell group is quite strong and probably won't fall apart!

I think it probably will soon. I have heard that some top universities have been complaining about the restraint issued against being allowed to increase fees based on standard.

With Brexit, universities will be compelled to increase fees to stay afloat. We have universities like Oxbridge and Imperial charging a lot less for similar educational standard to Harvard, Princeton, MIT and Stanford.

When these universities are able to get their way and can charge the true value for their services, they would probably not want to stay in the group with low performers. Also the low performing universities will then have to justify charging high fees for mediocre education.

Imagine Oxford or Imperial academics competing against Harvard or Princeton academics but then be in the same group of "excellence" with QMUL or Liverpool.

I see the RG breaking up, if not soon then probaly when Brexit starts biting hard.
Original post by ∆us
Probably, are you serious? Why comment on something if you do not know whether you are right or wrong? Yet, you have the gall to insult my reading when you cannot use correct SPG. Sick of TSR being filled with people who spread misinformation.

If you don't know something don't put it down.

Sorry for offending you.
I think it probably will soon. I have heard that some top universities have been complaining about the restraint issued against being allowed to increase fees based on standard.

With Brexit, universities will be compelled to increase fees to stay afloat. We have universities like Oxbridge and Imperial charging a lot less for similar educational standard to Harvard, Princeton, MIT and Stanford.

When these universities are able to get their way and can charge the true value for their services, they would probably not want to stay in the group with low performers. Also the low performing universities will then have to justify charging high fees for mediocre education.

Imagine Oxford or Imperial academics competing against Harvard or Princeton academics but then be in the same group of "excellence" with QMUL or Liverpool.

I see the RG breaking up, if not soon then probaly when Brexit starts biting hard.

Do you not get bored with this Big 8 ****? The same nonsense over and over, and never taking on board any of the criticisms of your categorisations. Maybe change your name to Wired_8888, just so people know what they're getting into.
Reply 47
Ohh okay. I read something a bit different somewhere! What happened to the group and why did it disband?

Key members left (some to join the RG) so it became too small to be effective.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/1994-group-disbands/2008862.article
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Do you not get bored with this Big 8 ****? The same nonsense over and over, and never taking on board any of the criticisms of your categorisations. Maybe change your name to Wired_8888, just so people know what they're getting into.

I think i have defended my position and taken in criticisms. Mind you, the idea of the Ivy League started from one person.

Feel free to bash me, I am used to it. When you see an anomaly, people should challenge it rather than just accept it as part of life.
Reply 49
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/sir-david-watson-russell-group-is-not-all-its-cracked-up-to-be/2012364.article
The Russell Group is a marketing ploy. Base the university you want to go to on how good it is for your course and whether you would feel comfortable there. Do not let prestige dissuade you, as it is not going to get you a job, you will.
(edited 6 years ago)
I chose 8 to be able to form the "Ivy League" of the UK. Those 8 unis mentioned are the best 8 UK universities in the world ranking.

IMG_1118.PNG

I think these universities can stand on their own and compete against the top universities in other countries.

Warwick has been destroyed on many threads for being a bit overrated. If you remove Maths and Economics, many folks seem to agree that Warwick is just a bog-standard university.

Nobody really knows about St Andrews or what they do well. If you ask, people will just say, "oh, was that where Prince William and Kate Middleton went to uni?"

I am not stating they are not good universities. I think there needs to be a real shake up in the university system, so students know the value of their degree.

Imagine someone paying about £9,000 for a degree at Cambridge or Manchester, whilst another person is paying the same £9,000 at a really low-performing university with the Russell Group label. It is daylight robbery.

Why are you putting the THE rankings at god status? Plenty of other ranks paint a very different picture.

Also it's laughable that you even put KCL, Manchester and compare it to ivy league. Hell, even UCL doesnt compare to Ivy league.

You put Cambridge and manchester on the same level which is completely stupid. Warwick being destroyed on TSR threads isnt an argument at all. The fact that St Andrew's isnt well known doesnt change the fact that it's better than Manchester, KCL and Edinburgh. Also you've ignored durham which again is up there if not better.

Point is simple. If you're going to give something the top status and label it something, you can't put the likes of manchester. Just had a look at your posts and I wasnt surprised to see you go manchester.

It should be Oxbridge LSE, Imperial and UCL arguably. And there's no big 8, there's already something called the golden triangle.

It's funny how desperate you want to put yourself at the top but pls take a step down and stay in your league. thanks.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.

Does he do this a lot? If you look at his posts you can see he goes Manchester And can you guess what's 8th in his "big 8" nonsense? Manchester. :biggrin::biggrin:

It's just a pathetic attempt at him trying to squeeze himself into an elite group he made up himself.
I chose 8 to be able to form the "Ivy League" of the UK. Those 8 unis mentioned are the best 8 UK universities in the world ranking.

Warwick has been destroyed on many threads for being a bit overrated. If you remove Maths and Economics, many folks seem to agree that Warwick is just a bog-standard university.

The best universities in the UK already have their own version of the Ivy League, it's called the G5 and includes Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL.

And if you're using what other people on TSR are saying as a metric of measuring how 'well perceived' a university is, TSR still rates Warwick very highly.

(edited 6 years ago)

I understand what you're saying and so see truth to it. I recon all universities should be their own entities. The Russell group was once prestigious but not anymore!
Original post by nashh606
Why are you putting the THE rankings at god status? Plenty of other ranks paint a very different picture.

Also it's laughable that you even put KCL, Manchester and compare it to ivy league. Hell, even UCL doesnt compare to Ivy league.

You put Cambridge and manchester on the same level which is completely stupid. Warwick being destroyed on TSR threads isnt an argument at all. The fact that St Andrew's isnt well known doesnt change the fact that it's better than Manchester, KCL and Edinburgh. Also you've ignored durham which again is up there if not better.

Point is simple. If you're going to give something the top status and label it something, you can't put the likes of manchester. Just had a look at your posts and I wasnt surprised to see you go manchester.

It should be Oxbridge LSE, Imperial and UCL arguably. And there's no big 8, there's already something called the golden triangle.

It's funny how desperate you want to put yourself at the top but pls take a step down and stay in your league. thanks.

I am getting tired of having to defend myself here. I would say it again, I DO NOT study at the University of Manchester.

The Big 8 idea, if you read my previous posts accurately, was to rival the US Ivy League.

I don't care which universities come out to be the top 8 universities in the UK. However, the most accurate picture that can be used are the world rankings such as QS and THE.

Both rankings consistently put the 8 universities mentioned as the best 8 universities in the UK. For diversity purposes, here is the 2018 list.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2018

IMG_1135.jpg

If you go to the link and filter for Europe, you will still see the 8 universities mentioned as being the top 8 in the UK. Local ranking tables paint a different picture and have not been consistent year-on-year.

I think it is stupid to argue that UCL does not compare to the Ivy League, there are 8 universities including Cornell and Brown, UCL is clearly better and ranked higher than both on international rankings.

Like I have written, if it is Big 5, 6 or 7, it does not matter. It was just a group that can truly rival the Ivy League in the US. Obviously, universities that may be subjectively better may not be on the list such as Stanford, MIT, Berkeley and Caltech in the US.
I understand what you're saying and so see truth to it. I recon all universities should be their own entities. The Russell group was once prestigious but not anymore!

True
Original post by C_Richards99
The best universities in the UK already have their own version of the Ivy League, it's called the G5 and includes Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL.

And if you're using what other people on TSR are saying as a metric of measuring how 'well perceived' a university is, TSR still rates Warwick very highly.

TSR is not a ranking agency but a bunch of students desparately seeking to defend their dead-end university, if it is not mentioned as one of the top universities.

I know about the G5. The idea of the Big 8 started from another thread that asked whether the UK can have the US version of the Ivy League. I responded "Yes" and coined the Big 8 because the Ivy League has 8 universities and it would only be fair to be 8 UK universities.

In essence, it is the G5+3. To backup my point, i had to show evidence that can support the creation of the "Big 8". The best metric was to use international rankings, since local rankings have been argued to be very subjective and use near-nonsense measurements.

The rankings came from QS and THE, which rank those 8 universities consistently as the 8 top UK universities.

Here is one: https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2018

IMG_1135.jpg

I have added the THE list on a previous post.

The fact that TSR rates Warwick does not mean that they should be part of the big 8. My community of friends rates Everton FC as a top football club, does not mean they are in the top 8 best clubs in the UK.

I have said on several occassions that I dont care which universities make up the so-called "Big 8". It can be Warwick, Surrey or even London Met.

We have to use lists that consistently rank the universities as the top 8 universities in the UK and we know that local tables are dodgy and may not necessarily depict an accurate picture
Original post by nashh606
Does he do this a lot? If you look at his posts you can see he goes Manchester And can you guess what's 8th in his "big 8" nonsense? Manchester. :biggrin::biggrin:

It's just a pathetic attempt at him trying to squeeze himself into an elite group he made up himself.

Ok
Reply 58
Original post by liquidconfidence
I've heard a lot of people, especially teachers, slyly voice this opinion.

Usually in year 12 everyone swears that they're definitely going to a Russel Group or Oxbridge. Then the reality of mock exams hits home and most people end up going to London Met.

Is it true that you're doomed if you don't go to a prestigious institution and will people look down on you eek

I don't think it matters really what people think of your uni if you're enjoying it, but personally I think if you don't go to the top Unis you might miss out on chances with the big 4/5 employers in industries since they have tie-ups or preferences for students from the specific Unis so grad program or internship search might be a little easier for them(studying and having gone through this experience being at a Russell Uni).

Otherwise if you don't really care about any top employers but want to get good grades and go to a SME or smaller size company then non-Russell group Uni should be fine dw.
Original post by Doonesbury

17 recent grads. 50% are RG (including Cambridge).

Posted from TSR Mobile

8.5?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending