The Student Room Group

Chances of living together next year (London+Guilldford)?

Been with my girlfriend for a year now. I'm studying at King's College, while she's at the University of Surrey. We've discussed, next year, getting a place together, and found that from Clapham Junction train station, she can get to her campus within 50 minutes, and I can to mine within half an hour.

What's concerning however, is the cost of this travel, which I'm struggling to find out. We're at the minute unsure how many days she'd be at uni for each week, but does anyone have any indication as to how much transport (via train) would be to and from Guildford for the year?

Thanks all
Original post by Anonymous
Been with my girlfriend for a year now. I'm studying at King's College, while she's at the University of Surrey. We've discussed, next year, getting a place together, and found that from Clapham Junction train station, she can get to her campus within 50 minutes, and I can to mine within half an hour.

What's concerning however, is the cost of this travel, which I'm struggling to find out. We're at the minute unsure how many days she'd be at uni for each week, but does anyone have any indication as to how much transport (via train) would be to and from Guildford for the year?

Thanks all

Hiya!

So I checked the South Western Rail website and your girlfriend could get a return ticket from Clapham Junction to Guildford for £13.25 if she has a 16-25 railcard. It's cheaper for her to buy her tickets with a railcard as she goes, as you can save 1/3 of the ticket cost if you buy it with a railcard. If she were to buy a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket, she wouldn't get the same discount as they don't allow you to use your railcard to buy them.

Hope this helps! :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
TBH I wouldn't do it. Remember that for commutes the times you see are best case scenarios and public transport is often unreliable. So I'd guess on average she will spend an hour each way travelling - even for 3 days a week that is A LOT for university. Remember that yes, the cost will be VERY big and it will be super unmotivating to know you have a huge expensive commute so you'll probably both end up missing lectures. And it would mean it was totally impractical to hang out with friends or join any clubs/societies which isn't exactly healthy. If she ends up with lectures with a big gap she's going to be stuck in a city with nowhere to go and will just have to go sit in the library all day while everyone else goes home. If she has group work she's going to piss everyone off cos she can't just come to the library like thye can. You're also going to struggle to find a decent flat since I'm guessing you won't get student accommodation and non student landlords tend to not want to let to students who can't prove a steady income. And you haven't been together that long so if you end up breaking up you'll both be in a super *****y position.

You haven't got a huge journey to visit each other so I would think of that as a positive and just deal with it for a couple of years.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't usually but on this occasion I'm going to disagree with doodle_333 a little bit.

Lots of people commute into and out of London depending on where they live/work so the commute per se isn't a problem but as above you're basing it on best case scenarios. Problems arise (a lot) which may significantly lengthen your commute. However, most people take it in their stride as they have to for various reasons. Make sure you're prepared for it and have realistic expectations. There is a risk that you will break up and then be in trouble but usually contracts have a notice period except maybe for the first 6 months. Equally you may work out that you like living together and this may strengthen your relationship. I moved in with my partner 6 months into our relationship and we're now getting married 4 years later. Being a student and renting privately is difficult but not impossible. It's certainly cheaper than uni accommodation. You may need a guarantor though so be prepared for that. Your unis may be able to help with that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending