The Student Room Group

How hard is medicine?

medicine is my dream uni course, but I'm having some self-doubt and I don't know if I would be able to handle it, how hard exactly is it to complete a medical degree after you've been accepted?
Original post by TrueJ
medicine is my dream uni course, but I'm having some self-doubt and I don't know if I would be able to handle it, how hard exactly is it to complete a medical degree after you've been accepted?

Most degrees get harder over the years, while Medicine throws you in right at the deep end and gradually gets a little easier. However it's the commitment that makes it hardest, because you will need to study and consolidate your knowledge for several hours per day. I don't know if other unis operate like mine, but you have to pass with a minimum of about 60% per module (compare that to 40% for most other subjects).

In essence, it'll be as hard or easy as you're prepared to work and be independent in learning what you don't understand.
As above!
It's definitely about endurance/ resilience. The hardest thing I found to deal with was the work load/ what you need to know - it was relentless! But you get used to it and it actually is quite enjoyable once you get yourself into a routine because as the years go by, what's required of you is the same, the stakes are just higher. I definitely had periods of self doubt but I made in through!
Reply 3
Original post by TrueJ

Im a first year and I can agree with all that has been said! They give us academic advisor for any problem as well even do lecture on how to deal with the work load and find a work-life balance
Its a lot of hard work, but actually the drop out rate is lower than almost any other subject, especially later on in the course. I do agree that most people seem to find first year the hardest as you have to adapt to how relentless it is, although it will depend on uni of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending