The Student Room Group

Kings College London vs University of Surrey? Botla Betta

Hi,

I want to either do Computing and IT and Surrey or Computer Science at KCL. Can't make my mind up. Which one is better in terms of overall value (modules, respect, teaching, ranks,etc)?

Computer Science Personal Statement ideas needed also...

Cheers,
e49877@BBetta
Original post by e49877
Hi,

I want to either do Computing and IT and Surrey or Computer Science at KCL. Can't make my mind up. Which one is better in terms of overall value (modules, respect, teaching, ranks,etc)?

Computer Science Personal Statement ideas needed also...

Cheers,
e49877@BBetta

Hi @e49877,

I was in your shoes 5 years ago, trying to choose between studying at Surrey or Royal Holloway. Some things that helped me decide where to study was looking at the modules offered in each course and comparing them to see which interested me more. You can find a list of the modules included in our Computing and IT course page here. The modules are listed year by year, and are underlined in blue. If you click on the module you wish to know more about, you'll be taken to the module catalogue for that lesson, where you can find out more info about the module content, how the module is asessed etc. I'm sure KCL will have something similar on their website too :smile:

A unique selling point for Surrey is that we offer students the chance to do a Professional Training Year. The PTY is a paid placement year which takes place between your second and final year of study. It allows you to put what you have already learned into practice in a professional workplace. This often helps students decide on which career path they wish to follow, as well as helping you gain new skills and experience which will be extremely valuable when you graduate and go into full-time work. You can find more course-specific information about the Professional Training Year on the course page I linked you to above, and more general information about the PTY can be found here.

Another thing I'd advise doing if possible is visiting both KCL and Surrey to get a feel for the campus and see the facilities they offer first-hand. It's important to ensure that you'll be happy wherever you choose to study :smile: We run weekly campus tours which take place on Wednesdays at 1pm, lasting an hour. If you can't make a campus tour, you're welcome to do a self-guided tour at your leisure. You can find out more about both options here. If you can't get to campus at all, then you can download our VR app which shows many areas of our campus here. I'd advise getting in touch with Kings to see if they have any tours you could attend too :smile:

Hope this helps! If you've got any further questions about Surrey then please do let me know :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 2
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi @e49877,

I was in your shoes 5 years ago, trying to choose between studying at Surrey or Royal Holloway. Some things that helped me decide where to study was looking at the modules offered in each course and comparing them to see which interested me more. You can find a list of the modules included in our Computing and IT course page here. The modules are listed year by year, and are underlined in blue. If you click on the module you wish to know more about, you'll be taken to the module catalogue for that lesson, where you can find out more info about the module content, how the module is asessed etc. I'm sure KCL will have something similar on their website too :smile:

A unique selling point for Surrey is that we offer students the chance to do a Professional Training Year. The PTY is a paid placement year which takes place between your second and final year of study. It allows you to put what you have already learned into practice in a professional workplace. This often helps students decide on which career path they wish to follow, as well as helping you gain new skills and experience which will be extremely valuable when you graduate and go into full-time work. You can find more course-specific information about the Professional Training Year on the course page I linked you to above, and more general information about the PTY can be found here.

Another thing I'd advise doing if possible is visiting both KCL and Surrey to get a feel for the campus and see the facilities they offer first-hand. It's important to ensure that you'll be happy wherever you choose to study :smile: We run weekly campus tours which take place on Wednesdays at 1pm, lasting an hour. If you can't make a campus tour, you're welcome to do a self-guided tour at your leisure. You can find out more about both options here. If you can't get to campus at all, then you can download our VR app which shows many areas of our campus here. I'd advise getting in touch with Kings to see if they have any tours you could attend too :smile:

Hope this helps! If you've got any further questions about Surrey then please do let me know :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your reply. I have visited Surrey campus twice and must say that it is incredibly beautiful with a nice environment. It's one of the things that makes me want to attend Surrey. You said that Surrey's unique selling point is that it offers a PTY, isn't this the same thing as a year in industry which most universities offer?

Would I be able to learn a lot of practical programming related topics in the CIT course? Or would it be more theory focused?

Also could you tell me which rank is Surrey for Computer Science and what rank is Kings College London for Computer Science?

Thank you,
e49877
Original post by e49877
Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your reply. I have visited Surrey campus twice and must say that it is incredibly beautiful with a nice environment. It's one of the things that makes me want to attend Surrey. You said that Surrey's unique selling point is that it offers a PTY, isn't this the same thing as a year in industry which most universities offer?

Would I be able to learn a lot of practical programming related topics in the CIT course? Or would it be more theory focused?

Also could you tell me which rank is Surrey for Computer Science and what rank is Kings College London for Computer Science?

Thank you,
e49877

Hi @e49877,

Glad to hear you like the campus! Yes, the PTY is a year in industry. What sets Surrey apart is that we were the first university in the UK to offer a PTY, so we have forged really strong relationships with over 2,300 industry partners over the last number of decades. Partners for Computing include Eli Lilly, IBM, Microsoft, BAE Systems Detica, Accenture and a number of other renowned tech companies. We find that many of our students are actually offered graduate jobs with the company they did their placement year at, which really takes the pressure off during their final year of study as they don't have to balance study with job hunting.

In terms of rankings, The Complete University Guide 2018 has ranked Surrey 12th and KCL 19th for Computer Science. The Guardian's 2018 league table has ranked Surrey 6th and KCL 45th.

To be completely honest I don't know the specifics of what the CIT course entails as I work for the digital team here at the uni. However, if you contact the Admissions team, the Admissions Adviser will be able to help/be able to put you in touch with a member of the teaching staff from the course who can give you a better idea of what the programme entails. You can contact the Admissions team by emailing [email protected] or call +44(0)1483682222. Personally, I would recommend calling as you can ask all your questions at once rather than having to ping emails back and forth.

Hope that's been helpful!

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending