The Student Room Group

I'm a 3rd year psychology student - AMA

I'm in my final year of my psychology degree, ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

What are you planning on doing after graduation?
Reply 2
Original post by D3LLI5
What are you planning on doing after graduation?

I've already been offered a 6 month research position with a lecturer I've worked with before & anti bullying alliance. We're also trying to find funding for a PhD (without doing a masters degree I know).
Original post by prophetkid
I've already been offered a 6 month research position with a lecturer I've worked with before & anti bullying alliance. We're also trying to find funding for a PhD (without doing a masters degree I know).

What kind of stuff would you be researching?
Have you covered anything in psychology that could explain why some men like me are sexual submissives?
Reply 5
Original post by D3LLI5
What kind of stuff would you be researching?

Atm all I know is that it's a national project looking at bullying in schools and will involve interviewing teachers - I have a meeting in London about it soon. I've worked on a few bullying research projects before which is how I've managed to get this position.
Atm all I know is that it's a national project looking at bullying in schools and will involve interviewing teachers - I have a meeting in London about it soon. I've worked on a few bullying research projects before which is how I've managed to get this position.

That sounds pretty interesting, looks like your research may have the potential make a difference to people’s lives too!

Do you see yourself staying in academia?
Reply 7
Original post by D3LLI5
That sounds pretty interesting, looks like your research may have the potential make a difference to people’s lives too!

Do you see yourself staying in academia?

It really is! Research is definitely my calling, I'm good at it (so I've been told), it's independent and suits my anxiety. I really hope to stay in academia/research and my lecturer/supervisor seems really keen to keep me. I feel really lucky, especially knowing that I can impact lives of those that are being/have been bullied as I was bullied myself throughout school.
I have a few questions, I hope you don't mind :P

Does studying psychology really involve a lot of maths and statistics? I did Psychology at A Level so I know how you had to understand them to a certain degree but did you have to understand both in a lot of depth at university level?

Have many of your peers managed to secure jobs already like you, or are expected to get jobs related to psychology once they graduate? Unfortunately the last I heard was that the market is a bit oversaturated and that there's not many jobs for psychologists out there :/

AND finally, what made you want to study psychology?
Reply 9
Original post by Honesty333
I have a few questions, I hope you don't mind :P

Does studying psychology really involve a lot of maths and statistics? I did Psychology at A Level so I know how you had to understand them to a certain degree but did you have to understand both in a lot of depth at university level?

Have many of your peers managed to secure jobs already like you, or are expected to get jobs related to psychology once they graduate? Unfortunately the last I heard was that the market is a bit oversaturated and that there's not many jobs for psychologists out there :/

AND finally, what made you want to study psychology?

There is a lot of maths/statistics at university level, compared to a levels BUT I started out doing AS maths and couldn't get my head round it (dropped out after 6 weeks) but statistics is now one of my best modules. You have to understand each test a little bit, but most of it is knowing what to do on SPSS (stats software) and how to interpret it. It doesn't really involve a lot of maths - more just knowing how to use SPSS.

In terms of my coursemates' futures, it's quite early to say. I'm very lucky that I found something so early. But a lot of them are planning on going on to postgraduate study to become professional psychologists e.g. clinical, forensic; and some are planning on being teachers. I guess I won't know until it gets to around March next year.

When I was picking my GCSE options, I was instantly drawn towards GCSE psychology, I still can't figure out why. Anyways, as I was studying it I just got instantly hooked and was already looking at careers in psychology. It's a very faded memory but I'm glad to have stumbled into it. I guess some of it stems down to having experience with CAHMS and an interest to learn about mental health. I've always wanted to help people too so I guess that adds to it!
Original post by Luke7456
Have you covered anything in psychology that could explain why some men like me are sexual submissives?

Unfortunately not, although I have thought about the psychology behind it before. There's definitely some psychological theory about it somewhere, I just haven't come across it yet.
Recently decided that i think i want to study psychology this year at uni (I know I'm a late decider!!). I know it would be hard to summarise the whole thing but can you describe what its like? The good and the bad, the work load... Thank you x
Original post by charlxxxx
Recently decided that i think i want to study psychology this year at uni (I know I'm a late decider!!). I know it would be hard to summarise the whole thing but can you describe what its like? The good and the bad, the work load... Thank you x

It's fun! Psychology is so diverse so you will come across topics/module that you just don't like and some that you love. You get to cover research methods, stats, study kills (depending on the uni), individual differences, biological psychology, cognitive, developmental, social etc.

A lot of psych degrees start out with the boring stuff like study skills and research methods, but then you get on to the really interesting stuff. I wouldn't say the workload is much more than A levels, but there's a lot more independence needed. It can be difficult getting your head round referencing at the start, and knowing how to write essays, but using your 1st year as basically your "test year" helps.

I would say that because you have so little contact time, do some extra curricular stuff, because psychology is competitive when it comes to jobs. Stuff like voluntary work, being a healthcare assistant, joining societies, being a research assistant at your uni, and any other things your uni offer. It really makes you stand out.
Reply 13
Hi there
I'm a psychology student. I'll be grateful if you give me a hand
I'm in my final year of my psychology degree, ask me anything!
Original post by roqaye
Hi there
I'm a psychology student. I'll be grateful if you give me a hand

Sure, what's up?
Reply 15
Sure, what's up?

I'm doing a cross cultural research , I need a native english speaker who her/ his field is psychology and work with me to complete my cross cultural study and publish the research together
You think are able to work with me on the study? It's about family environment and it's relation with some personality traits
Reply 16
Sure, what's up?
what's your view?
Original post by roqaye
I'm doing a cross cultural research , I need a native english speaker who her/ his field is psychology and work with me to complete my cross cultural study and publish the research together
You think are able to work with me on the study? It's about family environment and it's relation with some personality traits

Does this have ethical approval from your college/university? And what would I need to do specifically?
Reply 18
Does this have ethical approval from your college/university? And what would I need to do specifically?

It's a research any psychology student can do it and publish it's results in some psychology journals. My english isn't that good to report the results plus I need some participants to complete it. If you'd like we can conduct it together and then publish it's results in a journal. I've collected a few data but it is not enough.
Please let me to know if you're interested in it
Original post by roqaye
It's a research any psychology student can do it and publish it's results in some psychology journals. My english isn't that good to report the results plus I need some participants to complete it. If you'd like we can conduct it together and then publish it's results in a journal. I've collected a few data but it is not enough.
Please let me to know if you're interested in it

Do you have ethical approval?

Quick Reply