The Student Room Group

Trying to make new friends but mainly girlfriends..

Hi, first time posting on here and incredibly nervous to even be doing this. I honestly am just struggling to find new friends, especially people who are intersted in similar things. I suffer from anxiety a lot, especially around girls, I'm insecure so I always think I'm not good enough anyway and I over think things, also I don't drink so that means I cant just go meet people in a pub, and normally turn down any offers of going to a pub even for a social chat. All these make me just give up on finding anyone. I would go in to my whole mental health issues but as I said to my counsellor, I would have to explain my whole life.
I had a close friend recently who I can finally share my problems with but she honestly abandoned me. So if anyone is interested in video games and anime let me know. I do have many other interests e.g. art, photography, waking, random facts, films and many other things but video games is my main passion. I hate to do this here because I feel like this is not the most suitable place but I have tried meetup and stuff like that, but It always seems to be people 35+ and I was hoping to meet people my age, and girls really because how can you get a girlfriend if you dont know any girls. And this isnt me looking for a date, honestly looking for some friends that I can rely on, but if something happens naturally then good, if not I have gained a friend so a win/win.

So if you like playing WoW, overwatch or any game really let me know. Or if you like anime and want to speak to someone else who is socially awkard.
And I apologise for this, if this is not a suitable place for this.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredLyd
Hi, first time posting on here and incredibly nervous to even be doing this. I honestly am just struggling to find new friends, especially people who are intersted in similar things. I suffer from anxiety a lot, especially around girls, I'm insecure so I always think I'm not good enough anyway and I over think things, also I don't drink so that means I cant just go meet people in a pub, and normally turn down any offers of going to a pub even for a social chat. All these make me just give up on finding anyone. I would go in to my whole mental health issues but as I said to my counsellor, I would have to explain my whole life.
I had a close friend recently who I can finally share my problems with but she honestly abandoned me. So if anyone is interested in video games and anime let me know. I do have many other interests e.g. art, photography, waking, random facts, films and many other things but video games is my main passion. I hate to do this here because I feel like this is not the most suitable place but I have tried meetup and stuff like that, but It always seems to be people 35+ and I was hoping to meet people my age, and girls really because how can you get a girlfriend if you dont know any girls. And this isnt me looking for a date, honestly looking for some friends that I can rely on, but if something happens naturally then good, if not I have gained a friend so a win/win.

So if you like playing WoW, overwatch or any game really let me know. Or if you like anime and want to speak to someone else who is socially awkard.

You'd have more luck if you played RuneScape, that'll be more of a babe magnet.
Reply 2
Original post by lukauu
You'd have more luck if you played RuneScape, that'll be more of a babe magnet.

I wish you were being serious, I have played that and how I met one of my friends. Shame its not or else I would be on RuneScape straight away, because I enjoyed it.
Original post by FredLyd
I wish you were being serious, I have played that and how I met one of my friends. Shame its not or else I would be on RuneScape straight away, because I enjoyed it.

Hahah I'm joking because I'm a RuneScaper. WoW is too much for me, it's more game based rather than social if that makes sense? Confusing af as well. Same with LoL, I think that's a pile of shite too.

I know how you feel with the lonely part, but I just do my thing and meet people along the way. Forced is never good (from experience). Fate might surprise you eventually lol.
Hi.

How are you?
Reply 5
Original post by Blackstarr
Hi.

How are you?

Hi Blackstarr, Im good thank you for asking, how are you?
Reply 6
Original post by lukauu
Hahah I'm joking because I'm a RuneScaper. WoW is too much for me, it's more game based rather than social if that makes sense? Confusing af as well. Same with LoL, I think that's a pile of shite too.

I know how you feel with the lonely part, but I just do my thing and meet people along the way. Forced is never good (from experience). Fate might surprise you eventually lol.

Ahh okay. WoW definitely has lost its social edge but there is still some-ish...I enjoy the gameplay anyway so I'm not complaining to much, and up till recently speaking to people was a lot harder, even on the internet. And I agree with LoL, it was far too competitive for me and could never get in to it.

I definitely understand your point, and a few years ago I was thinking the same thing and would agree entirely, but after years you get, dont want to say desperate but it seems like the right word. I wouldnt want to be forced either but if someone has a similar interest, like WoW for example, it is like how you would meet people "normally". Fate has seemed to have sh%t on me so far so we will see, fingers crossed.
Original post by FredLyd
Hi Blackstarr, Im good thank you for asking, how are you?

I am okay. :smile:
Original post by FredLyd
Ahh okay. WoW definitely has lost its social edge but there is still some-ish...I enjoy the gameplay anyway so I'm not complaining to much, and up till recently speaking to people was a lot harder, even on the internet. And I agree with LoL, it was far too competitive for me and could never get in to it.

I definitely understand your point, and a few years ago I was thinking the same thing and would agree entirely, but after years you get, dont want to say desperate but it seems like the right word. I wouldnt want to be forced either but if someone has a similar interest, like WoW for example, it is like how you would meet people "normally". Fate has seemed to have sh%t on me so far so we will see, fingers crossed.

Bruh I've been genuinely alone since high school (I'm 25 now) and I get you. I get impatient a lot sometimes. I just focus on other things though. Maybe you should be proactive but searching on the internet like this will just lead to nutjobs lmao. You CAN control your emotions and I think you should embrace loneliness, until you're no longer lonely. Desperation does us no favours even when you meet someone (especially online, I've done this before out of pure desperation and WISHED I'd kept to myself), security will. Relationships blossoming from desperation rarely work if you ask me.
Reply 9
Original post by FredLyd

shouldn't have mentioned the "girlfriends" part

you've got no pic up, you're an anonymous dude on a forum

you'll make girls reading this feel slightly on edge as they know you have an duel motive to making female friends...
Reply 10
Original post by Blackstarr
I am okay. :smile:
Im glad to hear it. What are you interests and hobbies?
Girlfriends? You suggesting you want more than one girlfriend? Or are you looking for side chicks?
Reply 12
Original post by lukauu
Bruh I've been genuinely alone since high school (I'm 25 now) and I get you. I get impatient a lot sometimes. I just focus on other things though. Maybe you should be proactive but searching on the internet like this will just lead to nutjobs lmao. You CAN control your emotions and I think you should embrace loneliness, until you're no longer lonely. Desperation does us no favours even when you meet someone (especially online, I've done this before out of pure desperation and WISHED I'd kept to myself), security will. Relationships blossoming from desperation rarely work if you ask me.

Trust me, I definitely understand the point you are saying, I just see it as ignoring the problem rather than actively trying to solve said problem. But I can see your point and I should maybe not post this on the internet. But lets be honest if I said I want to just play some games with (which is my intention really) it would be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by TSRDiablo
Hey bro :P I play CSGO, Hearthstone and Cod on PS4 so if you play any of those or want to talk or anything just let me know :smile:

Trust me I wish I did, and I would. I havent even got a PS4, never played CSGO and I played hearthstone for a bit but couldnt handle the constant card change.
Reply 14
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Girlfriends? You suggesting you want more than one girlfriend? Or are you looking for side chicks?

I do apologise, It was a spelling mistake.
Original post by FredLyd
I do apologise, It was a spelling mistake.

That’s okay 😂 I was starting to think you wanna be a player
Reply 16
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
You can't even bother to write neat paragraphs...

If you are looking for a girlfriend (why did you use a plural? - that makes it sound much worse!):
-don't mention anxiety, don't mention insecurity, don't mention mental health, don't mention past friends
-have something more to talk about than video games and anime (I'm sure there are basement-dwelling weeaboo girls, in fact I know they exist, but even most of them probably have *some* other interests)

How old are you?

Sorry, Im no writer and basic grammer is always a struggle for me.

I will take on your advice, I have heard that advice before to be honest. My logic being, being completely honest right from the start. But yes I can see that being a bit ****ing weird.
Also I do have many things to talk about. I think I said they were my main interests. I'm sure I mention quite a few interests, my problem is almost having to many so I tried to keep it to just 1 or 2 (and them being what I mainly do)

And I'm 24 and I do mention a lot more interests... (Edit)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Kevin Hodge
That’s okay 😂 I was starting to think you wanna be a player

I really couldnt pull that off. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by ANM775
shouldn't have mentioned the "girlfriends" part

you've got no pic up, you're an anonymous dude on a forum

you'll make girls reading this feel slightly on edge as they know you have an duel motive to making female friends...

You make some very good points. I realise now it comes off very weird, and I honestly do have good intentions but this is the internet and you can just say that.

If it helps I can happily(Not so much because I dont really take pictures of myself) put a picture of myself.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
You can't even bother to write neat paragraphs...

If you are looking for a girlfriend (why did you use a plural? - that makes it sound much worse!):
-don't mention anxiety, don't mention insecurity, don't mention mental health, don't mention past friends
-have something more to talk about than video games and anime (I'm sure there are basement-dwelling weeaboo girls, in fact I know they exist, but even most of them probably have *some* other interests)

How old are you?

Just wow. I hope you're a troll. If so it's only YOU that has traits to change.

First 'advice' was pedantic and moronic.
Secondly you tell him to not confide in people who he is as a person. Mental health is not a weakness to be hidden, thanks.
Thirdly who the **** are you to tell people to get different hobbies?

How old are YOU? Piss off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending