The Student Room Group

Feminist Programming language

When is satire not okay?

Do you think it is right that some people can be incred ibly offensive under the guise of 'its just a joke', that someone can mock another's deeply held beliefs just because it amuses them to do so?

I refer you to C+= (C plus equality), the programming language cooked up by mysogynists at 4chan in order to mock feminist Arielle Schlesinger's campaign to build a feminist programming language.

https://github.com/ErisBlastar/cplusequality/blob/master/README.md

Scroll to see replies

Feminist programming language, Yeah this needs to be mocked. Insanity needs to be mocked
bring the friendly penguin back pls
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
x

lol, even the 1337's favourite cmatrix would have been better...

Still, at least she's trying to get more women into coding, even if she doesn't have a clue how to code. Most people probably haven't even touched a command prompt...
Reply 5
Original post by AngeryPenguin
When is satire not okay?

Do you think it is right that some people can be incred ibly offensive under the guise of 'its just a joke', that someone can mock another's deeply held beliefs just because it amuses them to do so?

I refer you to C+= (C plus equality), the programming language cooked up by mysogynists at 4chan in order to mock feminist Arielle Schlesinger's campaign to build a feminist programming language.

I went and had a read about Ms Schlesinger's work. It seems pretty valid to me, the main purpose being to see how the choice of language paradigms shape ideas, and how common computer science concepts (e.g. OOP) came to be popular. I'm guessing since this all seems to have been cooked up in 2013 that the work's all been done now, though I couldn't find anything actually published about it.

I would stop to wonder why some dolts from 4chan became so inspired by this to waste their time on such a lame parody, but well, that's the Internet for you. Apparently academic research and scientific thought are far less important to them than memes and political point-scoring.
The thing with meme lords is that they need to justify their *****y existence by putting others down.
Lol contemporary feminist "programmers"

Reply 8
Whenever I've been doing research on a topic unrelated to feminism and I've come across an article entitled 'a feminist perspective of.......' I initally think really?? I don't get it? Then I read it and it there are so many new insights that I realize have been neglected. When knowledge is created by one gender only or primarily, that knowledge and the assumptions it is built off will be gendered.

The only reason to mock without truly understanding in this case is misogyny. As to the 'it's a joke' defense, it's not a joke as the demeaning of women in tech has serious consequences.
Reply 9
Feminist perspectives are very archaic.

Thatcher was a woman. That was a long time ago.

If you look at feminism it's about dividing society to create social influence for a political agenda that really has nothing to do with 'gender equality'.

Like some people say that men get paid more than women, and in some roles men are over represented and that this is discrimination, yet there are campaigns for more women in STEM and educators will admit that there are ways to teach certain subjects to single gender schools that is required due to the ways that boys and girls think differently.

The science has proven it. The average female is not going to able to have the spatial reasoning abilities of the average male. And this is acknowledged in the education sector.

It's not discrimination. Women and men think differently when approaching the same problem.

Women can vote. There is no discrimination. Feminism as a political tool is nearly always hand in hand with the communist activists on campus. They just want to divide society, make people feel victimised and marginalised, and then give them a place to feel welcome and appreciated, and further their support for the Soviet Union.

Hasn't everyone noticed this yet? The sexes are EQUAL. But they are DIFFERENT. Men have testosterone, women have estrogen.

The end.
Reply 10
Original post by minhee
Women and men think differently when approaching the same problem.

This is basically the crux of the entire research topic you seem quite keen on labelling "archaic". Schlesinger was proposing that taking on a different approach to building a language would potentially lead to new means of expressing ideas, which in turn could allow us to solve computing problems using new methodology.
Reply 11
Original post by Dez
This is basically the crux of the entire research topic you seem quite keen on labelling "archaic". Schlesinger was proposing that taking on a different approach to building a language would potentially lead to new means of expressing ideas, which in turn could allow us to solve computing problems using new methodology.

I just read the part of the thread that went on about the discrimination women face and didn't see anything approaching it from a scientific perspective.
When is satire not okay?

There is never a circumstance under which making fun or jokes is unacceptable because otherwise you have to appoint some moral busybody in a very 1984 way 'the office of humour and jokes'. People should have the decency to not make jokes at peoples trauma for example (specifically to that person) but there should be no limitation on their ability to make jokes about it generally.
Reply 13
Original post by minhee
I just read the part of the thread that went on about the discrimination women face and didn't see anything approaching it from a scientific perspective.

That'll be the bit of the thread you just made up then? :erm: Nobody was discussing discrimination until you posted about it.
When is satire not okay?

That's hilarious. Feminism is cancer
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
There is never a circumstance under which making fun or jokes is unacceptable because otherwise you have to appoint some moral busybody in a very 1984 way 'the office of humour and jokes'. People should have the decency to not make jokes at peoples trauma for example (specifically to that person) but there should be no limitation on their ability to make jokes about it generally.

So making fun of large groups is okay, not targeting specific individuals?
So making fun of large groups is okay, not targeting specific individuals?

Not necessarily. Making fun of anything or anyone is fine but it is respectful to temper those jokes and opinions to individuals though this should not be enforced by law. For example someone told me this joke the other day 'New car being launched in Portugal, sold as having space in the boot for a small child, called the Renault McCann'. That's something people should have a right to say, but would I say it to someone whose child has just gone missing? No. Not because I should be legally prevented but because I should use my common sense.

It's perfectly acceptable to mock an individual generally, if someone walks into something or says something stupid they often end up being the target of banter for a while, but people should use their common sense. Satire as a whole should never be restricted by law based on feelings.
People who refer to 1984 or cry "but muh freedom of speech" in order to defend bullying, discrimination and harrassment only do so because they aren't the ones suffering. They are the ones who have no ability to step outside their narrowly crafted views and gain understanding.
Reply 18
Original post by Dez
That'll be the bit of the thread you just made up then? :erm: Nobody was discussing discrimination until you posted about it.

Are you daft?

The whole thread was relying on the preconceived notion that feminism is about perceptions of gender equality and political activism and had nothing to do with the innate differences between brains based on exposure to sex hormones.
Jesus. A 'feminist programming language'

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending