The Student Room Group

Do I appeal on my driving test?

I had my driving test today and it was all going well till I came up to a roundabout where the examiner said take the second left at the roundabout so I got into the left lane and realised that I was meant to be in the right, I realised my mistake and thought if I fix it by still going to left so I don’t cause a danger it wouldn’t make a difference as I’ve been told my instructor if I made a mistake but stay safe it would be okay but while driving the examiner changes my indicator and said he said go right even tho he said left and didn’t give me a chance to fix my mistake

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexb35
I had my driving test today and it was all going well till I came up to a roundabout where the examiner said take the second left at the roundabout so I got into the left lane and realised that I was meant to be in the right, I realised my mistake and thought if I fix it by still going to left so I don’t cause a danger it wouldn’t make a difference as I’ve been told my instructor if I made a mistake but stay safe it would be okay but while driving the examiner changes my indicator and said he said go right even tho he said left and didn’t give me a chance to fix my mistake

Sorry to be blunt, but, you can't blame the examiner for your own mistake! Live and learn.

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:
Original post by Alexb35

I would. The examiner should not have interfered with the car controls (unless it was a safety issue), or failed you for (safely) not taking the exit that he wanted.

What did they write as the reason for the fail?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Sorry to be blunt, but, you can't blame the examiner for your own mistake!

Should you fail for (safely) taking the wrong exit?
Original post by RogerOxon
Should you fail for (safely) taking the wrong exit?

You don't know if it was "safely". That's up to the examiner to determine.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You don't know if it was "safely". That's up to the examiner to determine.

Yes, hence why I asked for the exact reason for the fail. However, the examiner should not have touched the indicator, as it wasn't a safety issue.
Original post by RogerOxon
Yes, hence why I asked for the exact reason for the fail. However, the examiner should not have touched the indicator, as it wasn't a safety issue.

As I said: you don't know whether OP was driving in a safe manner or not.
Did you have your instructor in the back during your test, and he/she agrees that it was an unfair fail? If not, don't bother appealing - it's literally the examiner's word (a very experienced driver) vs your word (a very inexperienced driver), and you will lose your appeal every single time.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexb35

This seems rather strange - usually, if you go the wrong way when directed to drive, the examiner should just get you back on track by providing new directions.

What were you failed for?
Zebra crossing near to big roundabout in hendon appex corner. Pedestrian wait at the zebra at the right side of the road, she doesn't start cross she just wait and no one from the right side didn't stop to let her go and I don't think it was necessary for me to stop from my left side so I continue driving and for this examiner mark serious fault and fail me. The rest driving was perfect only with 2 minor fault. To appeal or not??
Reply 10
Original post by Olesea1988
Zebra crossing near to big roundabout in hendon appex corner. Pedestrian wait at the zebra at the right side of the road, she doesn't start cross she just wait and no one from the right side didn't stop to let her go and I don't think it was necessary for me to stop from my left side so I continue driving and for this examiner mark serious fault and fail me. The rest driving was perfect only with 2 minor fault. To appeal or not??

No, they were justified in failing you.

Regardless, you can't overturn your test result.

Yeah that's an obvious fail, the pedestrian has right of way and you are obligated to stop.

If a pedestrian is waiting at a zebra crossing, you stop. It's really that simple.
According to a study by Direct Line, almost half (46 per cent) of drivers believe that they legally have to stop if a pedestrian is waiting on the side of the road.

This is, however, not correct as, according to the law, drivers have no obligation to to give way to the pedestrian if they haven’t stepped foot onto the road.
Wherever I think that is unfair they can give a minor fault not serious
Reply 15
According to a study by Direct Line, almost half (46 per cent) of drivers believe that they legally have to stop if a pedestrian is waiting on the side of the road.

This is, however, not correct as, according to the law, drivers have no obligation to to give way to the pedestrian if they haven’t stepped foot onto the road.

This isn't a matter of law, this is a matter of safety on the road.

The pedestrian COULD have began to walk out as usually would be the case - the examiner was correct in failing you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16

You wouldn’t win the appeal because regardless of whether there are people crossing or not if someone is stood there you are supposed to stop or you fail. That’s what I’ve been taught anyway

Doesn't have to be illegal, just unsafe. It's bad driving, pedestrian has the right of way and could step onto the road at any time.

The Highway Code (195 Zebra Crossings) doesn't explicitly say you must stop, but the first thing it says is "look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross" ..pretty clear who has the right of way. You knew they were there, did you slow or stop?
Wherever I think that is unfair they can give a minor fault not serious

Failure to stop is always a serious, you have literally zero appeal chance here so i'd suggest taking it as a lesson for your next test.

TBH I think you can only appeal if the examiner does something unprofessional or violated regulations or law....and even then you just get a refund, there is no way to appeal and be given a pass.
Reply 19
Original post by StriderHort
TBH I think you can only appeal if the examiner does something unprofessional or violated regulations or law....and even then you just get a refund, there is no way to appeal and be given a pass.

Correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending