The Student Room Group

Bath suffers 'very significant' drop in student applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FloralHybrid

Could the lack of subject choice be a factor?

How would this mean a disproportionate drop in applicants since last year, given the subjects offered haven't changed?
Original post by Doonesbury
Just guessing, but perhaps Internationals will be less familiar with the university and googling about it will find concerns about VC pay and "governance".

Unable to confirm, I just looked at what the rankings were in the UK for the field of study I'm interested in, and then compared it with the Spiked! rankings. What I can say is that when I reached out to the University of Bath for more information in regards to what qualifications they'd want, they were entirely unhelpful/borderline useless, so I decided not to bother with them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yep, you’re very funny.
Original post by Good bloke
How would this mean a disproportionate drop in applicants since last year, given the subjects offered haven't changed?

Well, if subjects like Law and History/whatever else Bath doesn’t offer are becoming more popular, universities that offer a wider range of subjects are going to get more applicants to coincide with that.

It’s possible, not likely, but entirely possible.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Well, if subjects like Law and History/whatever else Bath doesn’t offer are becoming more popular,

Are they becoming more popular?
Are they becoming more popular?

According to the guardian, History is the tenth most popular degree, and Law is the second. But I’m aware that doesn’t mean that they’ve become more popular with time, so I’m afraid I don’t know.

Just a thought. If they have, it could contribute to an explanation into why Bath’s number of applicants have decreased this year so far.
Original post by flatline
Unable to confirm, I just looked at what the rankings were in the UK for the field of study I'm interested in, and then compared it with the Spiked! rankings. What I can say is that when I reached out to the University of Bath for more information in regards to what qualifications they'd want, they were entirely unhelpful/borderline useless, so I decided not to bother with them.

This sort of happened to me. I had applied to bath and I asked them a very specific question about entry requirements. They gave me a non-answer so I asked again. They gave me another non-answer so I switched to another university. Part of me thinks their lack of money means they have a small administration team.
Reply 47
Original post by GovernmentEarner
This sort of happened to me. I had applied to bath and I asked them a very specific question about entry requirements. They gave me a non-answer so I asked again. They gave me another non-answer so I switched to another university. Part of me thinks their lack of money means they have a small administration team.

Had the same problem...asked a specific question about my qualifications and their entry requirements and they gave a copy/paste answer.
Reply 48

Lack of money? They have an operating surplus of 7%.
As much as I'd love this to be a response to the horrendous pay rise, I doubt it. Nor will it change anything
Lack of money? They have an operating surplus of 7%.

I was suggesting it as a possibility based on the fact compared to its 'main competitors' Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and UCL, It has the lowest budget by a considerable amount (couldn't find Loughborough). (half the budget of the first three, £100 mil less than Exeter and a sixth of UCL, £1 Billion less). Also, it's endowment is one of the lowest in the UK (not that relevant I know). When contacting other uni's they have people specifically to hunt down the answer I need. Maybe it's a tenuous link to budget, but from experience (and others according to this thread), Bath has a low-level administration, I think that puts some people off.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 51
I was suggesting it as a possibility based on the fact compared to its 'main competitors' Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and UCL, It has the lowest budget by a considerable amount (couldn't find Loughborough). (half the budget of the first three, £100 mil less than Exeter and a sixth of UCL, £1 Billion less). Also it's endowment is one of the lowest in the UK (not that relevant I know). When contacting other uni's they have people specifically to hunt down the answer I need, maybe it's a tenuous link to budget, but from experience, Bath have a low-level administration.

They don't have an expensive medschool, amongst other differences.

But yes it's entirely fair comment for people to mention poor "customer service" :smile:

But perhaps that lepidoptera will need to be pulled out of Bath's cranial covering.

Lepus? Leporidae?
I It has the lowest budget by a considerable amount.

Of course it does:

Bath 16,150, £260.6 million
Birmingham 33,800, £625.6 million
Bristol 21,900, £565,8 million
Exeter 22,100, £371.5 million
UCL 37,100, £1.36 billion
Warwick 25,600, £557 million

See the correlation?
Reply 54
Original post by generallee
Lepus? Leporidae?

Bloody spellcheck and not proofreading. Fixed. Ta :smile:
Of course it does:

Bath 16,150, £260.6 million
Birmingham 33,800, £625.6 million
Bristol 21,900, £565,8 million
Exeter 22,100, £371.5 million
UCL 37,100, £1.36 billion
Warwick 25,600, £557 million

See the correlation?

I understand the implied relationship. However, Warwick, UCL and Bristol clearly don't fit into this. Half and half actually proves there's no correlation at all.
I'd like to see if this leak increases their applications because people will think that they have better chances now.
I understand the implied relationship. However, Warwick, UCL and Bristol clearly don't fit into this. Half and half actually proves there's no correlation at all.

They all have a different mix of UG and PG students and different sources of funding depending on how they were founded and whether they have endowments. But Bath's budget does not have to go as far as a bigger university's.
Also bath's financial support is really bad compared to Warrick, Manchester and Birmingham which all have 2 grand bursaries for low income households but Bath only has 9 total 1 grand bursaries. I mean there are a lot of schemes you can get on (as there are at Manchester and Birmingham) with companies but I don't really wanna do those.
Reply 59
Original post by black1blade
Also bath's financial support is really bad compared to Warrick, Manchester and Birmingham which all have 2 grand bursaries for low income households but Bath only has 9 total 1 grand bursaries. I mean there are a lot of schemes you can get on (as there are at Manchester and Birmingham) with companies but I don't really wanna do those.

?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/bursaries-and-scholarships-for-undergraduate-students/

Our Gold scholarship programme offers bursaries of £5,000 per year of study (not including paid placement) to up to 50 students from low-income families.

Plus others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending