The Student Room Group

Ayers Rock - climbing banned

From 2019, the Australian government will ban the climbing of Ayers Rock as it is a site sacred to Aboriginal people.

Opinions?

If it were a man-made structure, like the Dome of the Rock, Stonehenge or Angkor Wat - I'd get it. People made it, and people can say who can visit. But Ayers Rock is a natural structure. They're essentially saying that the beliefs of one set of people mean that no-one can visit something that predated everyone.
Having a quick look into the news articles around it, it looks as if environmental impact on the natural structure is also one of the reasons for banning climbing it, which seems somewhat less controversial?
BBC link for the lazy

I don't really see an issue. Preservation of a natural formation is a good thing (climbing in large numbers is incredibly destructive, especially on sandstone). If the local people hold it as sacred what is the problem with respecting that as a tourist?
Original post by AmeliaLost
BBC link for the lazy

I don't really see an issue. Preservation of a natural formation is a good thing (climbing in large numbers is incredibly destructive, especially on sandstone). If the local people hold it as sacred what is the problem with respecting that as a tourist?

I actually agree with this too, there doesn't seem to be an inherent issue with respecting the belief of the local people :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending