The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics: PAT test discussion

Scroll to see replies

Why do you have to wait until Monday?
Can't lie, I'm gutted with how the exam went. Like someone previously said, my results always reflect my preparation, and given the new style of questioning it threw that out the window.

All in all, I'm just disappointed as I'm certain I haven't gotten enough for an interview, whatever that threshold may be.

Oh well, Manchester looks nice ^^
That was definitely one of the hardest papers, I think I got around 70. I like how this one tested aptitude more than preparation though. Is anyone else applying to St.John's?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hououin Kyouma
That was definitely one of the hardest papers. Think I got around 70 because I got all the maths questions other than the final question, for which I still worked out the majority of it. Is anyone else applying to St.John's?

Reminder: Please do not discuss the contents of the paper on TSR

See this:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792
That was definitely one of the hardest papers. Think I got around 70 because I got all the maths questions other than the final question, for which I still worked out the majority of it. Is anyone else applying to St.John's?

I am applying to st johns also! it looks like you did quite well for the paper, congrats! did u manage to get the ans for the maths calculus qn? i think need to know the formula and the theorem to solve that
I managed to get to an answer eventually, but I'm kinda doubting I got it right
Original post by beeakswai
I am applying to st johns also! it looks like you did quite well for the paper, congrats! did u manage to get the ans for the maths calculus qn? i think need to know the formula and the theorem to solve that

Nice! How do you think you did? Yes I got that one, I thought it was quite a nice question compared to some of the others.
I found it disgusting.

I was getting in the region of 60-65, and was making it into early 70s by last week. I was expecting nerves to reduce my marks slightly, but the difficulty of this paper threw me. I revised sufficiently but didn't feel it prepared me for the types of questions. I found the 9 markers impossible, I didn't even know where to start. I also realised on a maths question that I'd misread it in the last minute, and didn't have enough time to change it, even though I knew exactly what to do...
I know I've easily dropped 40 already, plus probably another 20 on silly mistakes/not doing the right thing :frown:

I hope, that seeing we all found it so hard that the boundaries will reduce, but even if I were to get an interview it wouldn't be a strong enough mark to increase my chances of an offer.

Currently holding onto the last thread of this dream :frown:
Original post by blueturtle00
I managed to get to an answer eventually, but I'm kinda doubting I got it right

^the last question that is
When will we know if we are invited to the interview? (Based on previous years)
Original post by Student02000
I found it disgusting.

I was getting in the region of 60-65, and was making it into early 70s by last week. I was expecting nerves to reduce my marks slightly, but the difficulty of this paper threw me. I revised sufficiently but didn't feel it prepared me for the types of questions. I found the 9 markers impossible, I didn't even know where to start. I also realised on a maths question that I'd misread it in the last minute, and didn't have enough time to change it, even though I knew exactly what to do...
I know I've easily dropped 40 already, plus probably another 20 on silly mistakes/not doing the right thing :frown:

I hope, that seeing we all found it so hard that the boundaries will reduce, but even if I were to get an interview it wouldn't be a strong enough mark to increase my chances of an offer.

Currently holding onto the last thread of this dream :frown:

It's okay, I feel your pain. I think we should take comfort in knowing we did our best, and regardless of whether or not we get an interview we know we did all we could. There's nothing more anyone could possibly want.
Reply 51
Original post by OllieeTownsend
Message me how you did it please?

No discussion of questions please - including via PM.

As per: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792
Nice! How do you think you did? Yes I got that one, I thought it was quite a nice question compared to some of the others.

Although I did most of the qns, i dont think i get them right. like the last one, i thought it was easy at that moment and i didnt think too much, but i probably got the wrong idea considering the others all find that tough. I am expecting 50-60 if i am lucky enough to get those i am quite sure about all correct
guys don't worry.. the cutoff is based on percentile instead of raw marks.. I'm pretty sure Oxbridge is it this year to thrash applicants. the ENGAA is superbly tough this year too
What top percentage is taken for interview?
Original post by Alexxcor
What top percentage is taken for interview?

~40%

Check the Oxford PAT website for the exam reports, where they give a breakdown of marks, including the threshold mark, as well as the number interviewed.
I think I was able to answer every question apart from the last one. The trouble is I think I made some horrendous errors in my method for I think every 9 marker I attempted

Do we get method marks? I really really reallly hope so because maybe they might look at my work and realise "oh yeah I think he can tell what he needed to do for that part but he just ... bleughh"

Another I just forgot to take something away from a value I had calculated in the sketching question because I just forgot ... so I left my answer as something it shouldn't have been. The question on sound I didn't read and so I ... ... again .... bad ... I only drew the graph and nothing else. The maths question which asked for values when it was true I think I got half right but couldn't quite get it out for all cases.

Also the question that involved calculus worth a fair few marks I just forgot to finish it ... like I tihnk I said "this seems too easy so I'll come back to it" and forgot. So that and the last question is 18 marks right away ... my lord.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tanvipie
~40%

Check the Oxford PAT website for the exam reports, where they give a breakdown of marks, including the threshold mark, as well as the number interviewed.

is engineering science the same? i think the report is only on physics

I'll be honest, I don't know. My assumption was that the report encompassed all students applying for PAT subjects - PhysPhil, Physics, Engineering and Materials Science. If someone knows better I'd appreciate a correction.
Reply 59

Original post by tanvipie
I'll be honest, I don't know. My assumption was that the report encompassed all students applying for PAT subjects - PhysPhil, Physics, Engineering and Materials Science. If someone knows better I'd appreciate a correction.

Well, you can see the typical shortlisting rate per course here and draw your own conclusions:

https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/ShortlistingRate?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending