The Student Room Group

I’m annoyed at my school for not giving us work experience.

I’m rly annoyed because before, around a few years ago, people in year 10/11 had work experience and I remember being in year seven looking forward to that. But now I’m in year 11, my school doesn’t offer work experience anymore!!! And I’m rly annoyed! I mean I used to be a tutor for English and maths, but now I’m not anymore. I’m just rly annoyed tho! I’m 15 and rly want a job! Any help or recommendations for where I could work?? Thansk
Go on Indeed. Search up part time job vacancies in (enter your city here), find suitable roles you like and then apply like hell. Good luck!
Original post by Berrydo
I’m rly annoyed because before, around a few years ago, people in year 10/11 had work experience and I remember being in year seven looking forward to that. But now I’m in year 11, my school doesn’t offer work experience anymore!!! And I’m rly annoyed! I mean I used to be a tutor for English and maths, but now I’m not anymore. I’m just rly annoyed tho! I’m 15 and rly want a job! Any help or recommendations for where I could work?? Thansk

You can't, you need to be 16 to legally work
Try local stores or you could do some volunteering at charity shops
Original post by Dhanny
Go on Indeed. Search up part time job vacancies in (enter your city here), find suitable roles you like and then apply like hell. Good luck!

Can I apply at the age of 15? Do I need a cv or something or an interview?
My school never offered work experience... find somewhere you're interested in and contact them explaining what you wish to do
Original post by Berrydo
Can I apply at the age of 15? Do I need a cv or something or an interview?

Hmmm, now we're in a pickle. You're underraged to apply for these jobs then. Im not sure what you can do then to be honest.
If you really want to do work experience, set about contacting places you'd perhaps like to go and organise it for during your school holidays :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
If you really want to do work experience, set about contacting places you'd perhaps like to go and organise it for during your school holidays :smile:

How come when my sister was 15 she could work at a cafe? I’m rly confused. Do u have to wait I’m 16... I’m gonna have to wait till March then ...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Berrydo

School "work experience" is 5 days (almost always unpaid), usually doing something pretty menial and tedious because the employer forgot you were coming in and didn't have the heart to send you home.

I wouldn't worry that they don't provide it any more.

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
You can't, you need to be 16 to legally work

No you don't. https://www.gov.uk/child-employment

Original post by Berrydo
How come when my sister was 15 she could work at a cafe? I’m rly confused. Do u have to wait I’m 16... I’m gonna have to wait till March then ...

15 is fine.
(edited 6 years ago)

Omg thank you so much for this website!!! Rly thankful!!
Original post by Berrydo

my school doesn’t offer it either and it means i cant take part in a year 10 work experience programme at my local hospital :frown:

i do a few volunteering roles with children in sports but nothing to do with medicine which is where i need to experience to apply for what i want to apply! :/
Reply 12
Original post by clouddbubbles
my school doesn’t offer it either and it means i cant take part in a year 10 work experience programme at my local hospital :frown:

i do a few volunteering roles with children in sports but nothing to do with medicine which is where i need to experience to apply for what i want to apply! :/

Do you have an Enrichment Week? Speak to your form tutor and ask if you can do the hospital experience instead.
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you have an Enrichment Week? Speak to your form tutor and ask if you can do the hospital experience instead.

i don’t think we do :frown:
my school is great and one of the best in our region, but it doesn’t do enrichment weeks or work experience - although it does offer some first aid courses and qualifications for year 10s to partake in if they wish?¿

it’s sixth form is in the top 10% nationally and there are so many more opportunities at that stage, it’s just that this particular experience has a great structure to it! it’s also on 3 set weeks, so it’s not like i could do it whenever, it would have to be on those dates :/
the best thing you can do is go put and find a plave that will let you have work experiance for say a week then just let the school know you wont be in that week and why

Quick Reply

Latest