The Student Room Group

help on fourier series

could someone explain how i can develop a finite fourier series for a function such as cos(t)sin(5t) with a set period of 2pi - lecturer was not very helpful at all in explaining
Original post by SassyPete
could someone explain how i can develop a finite fourier series for a function such as cos(t)sin(5t) with a set period of 2pi - lecturer was not very helpful at all in explaining

Since you have f(t)=cos(t)sin(5t)f(t)=\cos(t)\sin(5t) with f(t+2π)=f(t)f(t+2\pi)=f(t) then since it is an odd function, you it will have the form:

f(t)=n=1bnsin(nt)\displaystyle f(t)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n \sin(nt)

where

bn=2π0πf(t)sin(nt).dt\displaystyle b_n = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt).dt
(edited 6 years ago)

Original post by RDKGames
Since you have f(t)=cos(t)sin(5t)f(t)=\cos(t)\sin(5t) with f(t+2π)=f(t)f(t+2\pi)=f(t) then since it is an odd function, you it will have the form:

where

bn=2π0πf(t)sin(nt).dt\displaystyle b_n = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt).dt
Rewrite it as a sum of 2 sins using standard trig identities and you immediately get the Fourier series, no integration required.
Reply 3

where

honestly, im struggling with this question so reckon i'm just going to give up
honestly, im struggling with this question so reckon i'm just going to give up

cos(t)sin(5t)=12(sin(4t)+sin(6t))\cos(t)\sin(5t) = \frac{1}{2}( \sin(4t)+ \sin(6t)) using the sum of two sines identity, so bn=1π0πsin(4t)sin(nt)+sin(6t)sin(nt).dt\displaystyle b_n= \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin(4t)\sin(nt)+ \sin(6t)\sin(nt) .dt

Then using the product of two sines identity you get sin(4t)sin(nt)=12[cos([4n]t)cos([4+n]t)]\sin(4t)\sin(nt)=\frac{1}{2}[\cos([4-n]t)-\cos([4+n]t)]

So your integral just simply goes to:

bn=12π0πcos[(4n)t]+cos[(6n)t]cos[(4+n)t]cos[(6+n)t].dt\displaystyle b_n=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos[(4-n)t]+\cos[(6-n)t]-\cos[(4+n)t]-\cos[(6+n)t].dt

which is straightforward to integrate and then simplify.

Original post by DFranklin
Rewrite it as a sum of 2 sins using standard trig identities and you immediately get the Fourier series, no integration required.

Sorry, I don't see it :s-smilie:

I've not mastered Fourier series yet (nor the use of these sum identities) but I'd like to see how this can be done in such a short time, as you seem to say
(edited 6 years ago)
cos(t)sin(5t)=12(sin(4t)+sin(6t))\cos(t)\sin(5t) = \frac{1}{2}( \sin(4t)+ \sin(6t)) using the sum of two sines identity, so bn=1π0πsin(4t)sin(nt)+sin(6t)sin(nt).dt\displaystyle b_n= \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin(4t)\sin(nt)+ \sin(6t)\sin(nt) .dt

Then using the product of two sines identity you get sin(4t)sin(nt)=12[cos([4n]t)+cos([4+n]t)]\sin(4t)\sin(nt)=\frac{1}{2}[\cos([4-n]t)+\cos([4+n]t)]

bn=12π0πcos[(4n)t]+cos[(6n)t]+cos[(4+n)t]+cos[(6+n)t].dt\displaystyle b_n=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos[(4-n)t]+\cos[(6-n)t]+\cos[(4+n)t]+\cos[(6+n)t].dt

I've not mastered Fourier series yet (nor the use of these sum identities) but I'd like to see how this can be done in such a short time, as you seem to say
12(sin(4t)+sin(6t))\frac{1}{2}( \sin(4t)+ \sin(6t)) is a Fourier series, and since Fourier series are unique, it is also the Fourier series...
12(sin(4t)+sin(6t))\frac{1}{2}( \sin(4t)+ \sin(6t)) is a Fourier series, and since Fourier series are unique, it is also the Fourier series...

I thought F.s. needs to be in terms of infinite sums of sines/cosines?
I thought F.s. needs to be in terms of infinite sums of sines/cosines?
No (or at least, it can be an infinite series where all but a finite number of terms are 0). If you go through the maths you've done (and assuming there's not anything odd going on with periods that I've missed), you'll find all the other terms are zero.
Reply 8

Then using the product of two sines identity you get sin(4t)sin(nt)=12[cos([4n]t)+cos([4+n]t)]\sin(4t)\sin(nt)=\frac{1}{2}[\cos([4-n]t)+\cos([4+n]t)]

bn=12π0πcos[(4n)t]+cos[(6n)t]+cos[(4+n)t]+cos[(6+n)t].dt\displaystyle b_n=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos[(4-n)t]+\cos[(6-n)t]+\cos[(4+n)t]+\cos[(6+n)t].dt

could you not use eulers equation prior?
Reply 9

ok ive managed to work myself to just after the integral - couple of questions now though:

1) why is the limit between 0 and pi if the period of the function is 2pi?
2) my integral is all in terms of sin with n and t as constants - i know the limit value applies to t but then im stuck with a huge answer in terms of sin and n
Reply 10
ok ive managed to work myself to just after the integral - couple of questions now though:

1) why is the limit between 0 and pi if the period of the function is 2pi?

I'd always recommend DFrank's way in this scenario, but if you insist...

bn=1πππf(t)sinntdt=2π0πf(t)sinntb_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \sin nt \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} f(t) \sin nt since both f(t) and sin nt are odd their product is even.

2) my integral is all in terms of sin with n and t as constants - i know the limit value applies to t but then im stuck with a huge answer in terms of sin and n

Your limits are pi. So you get sin (npi) and other terms of similar form. You known sin(npi) = 0, sin(pi/2 + npi) = 1, etc...(assuming what you have already is correct, I think RDK's post has some mistakes)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
I'd always recommend DFrank's way in this scenario, but if you insist...

bn=1πππf(t)sinntdt=2π0πf(t)sinntb_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \sin nt \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} f(t) \sin nt since both f(t) and sin nt are odd their product is even.

Your limits are pi. So you get sin (npi) and other terms of similar form. You known sin(npi) = 0, sin(pi/2 + npi) = 1, etc...(assuming what you have already is correct, I think RDK's post has some mistakes)

ahh i tried to follow RDKs post. so should i be using a different method to what he suggested?

Quick Reply

Latest