The Student Room Group

GyG comp - read to succeed

Hi all,
second post. just going to fill in on stuff thats happened in the past week. I have noticed that some of you guys have been talking about mock exams and results. i just did my english, maths and triple science mock exams. only got the english results so far which was a grade 8. quite disappointing to say i have achieved a lot higher than this before. i'm pretty happy with my performance on the others, but i will fill in next week when i get the results. so in terms of what happened in my school week, not much - just revision for these tests. Teachers keep reminding us how we have very little time left before our real exams. it used to be quite scary, but not anymore - i like exams, they are a good way of displaying all your hard work. I'm not really sure who i'm writing this to, no one has read my previous post and i'm not sure about this one either, but i don't care if everyone doesn't read this. even if i don't win this comp, i want at least one person to read these posts and at least get inspired or something. After all hard work is good, but it's belief thats really gonna take you where you want to go,
As always, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All the best. Im in year 12 now and it's really great if your getting grade 8s!
I think the time you need to realise exams are really running after you is in March time. Your teachers only want you to work hard and that's why they're stressing you out so don't worry. You still have enough time to improve your grades. You seem like a really good and hard working student so don't worry about it 😊
Original post by Sarahk12
All the best. Im in year 12 now and it's really great if your getting grade 8s!
I think the time you need to realise exams are really running after you is in March time. Your teachers only want you to work hard and that's why they're stressing you out so don't worry. You still have enough time to improve your grades. You seem like a really good and hard working student so don't worry about it 😊

wow, thanks a lot i didn't expect anyone to comment on any of my posts, so yeah thanks a lot thats really great. same to you, im sure you seem a very hard working person too and i will try read a couple of your posts if you would like so.
Reply 3
Lol I haven't ever replied to anything but I read your comment and could understand what you went through.
I'm taking a level chemistry, biology and maths now.
To be honest, chemistry is really stressing me out at the moment... It makes me cry to know I loved it last year but it's just so difficult now. I revise every single day for it but it's still stressing me out..
Hey,
i quite like chem as well it makes me feel clever, but obviously your at college so its probs a lot harder. I used to be crazy over my revision, and stress out all the time. but honestly, dont worry, try to focus on one thing at a time. you also mentioned how hard it is, and i have a few revision tips, just reply back if you wnt the juicy deets:smile:
Hey just noticed that you gave me a rep and thanks so much. although i have to admit that im not entirely sure what this does so could you fill me in please and i repped you back also.
Original post by Anonymous work
Hi all,
second post. just going to fill in on stuff thats happened in the past week. I have noticed that some of you guys have been talking about mock exams and results. i just did my english, maths and triple science mock exams. only got the english results so far which was a grade 8. quite disappointing to say i have achieved a lot higher than this before. i'm pretty happy with my performance on the others, but i will fill in next week when i get the results. so in terms of what happened in my school week, not much - just revision for these tests. Teachers keep reminding us how we have very little time left before our real exams. it used to be quite scary, but not anymore - i like exams, they are a good way of displaying all your hard work. I'm not really sure who i'm writing this to, no one has read my previous post and i'm not sure about this one either, but i don't care if everyone doesn't read this. even if i don't win this comp, i want at least one person to read these posts and at least get inspired or something. After all hard work is good, but it's belief thats really gonna take you where you want to go,
As always, thanks

you seem amazing at english! are you disappointed with an 8? that’s amazing at this stage, and you’re on track for higher when the real thing comes! :smile:
Reply 7
Go on then😂
I could do with all the help possible. I think my biggest problem is that my predicted grades are all A's which keep making me feel down cause i have a feeling I won't get them..
Basically, I was predicted like 7 Cs and the rest Bs for GCSE but I worked hard and got 7 A /A* at the end with the rest Bs.. So not as smart as you but I kinda flipped my game. So I'm not a clever clever student but I managed to get appreciated results in my GCSEs... But in chemistry and biology now, I'm with all the nerds because chemistry is like one of the hardest Alevels 😭.. But I probably just need to keep trying my best and not get to down about the end result..
Thanks for your support anyways.. I appreciate it😊
Reply 8
Lol even I don't know what this rep thing is. Your the first person I've ever replied to😂😂
Reply 9
Original post by clouddbubbles
you seem amazing at english! are you disappointed with an 8? that’s amazing at this stage, and you’re on track for higher when the real thing comes! :smile:

Yh I know right! I got a grade 7 and now that im in sixth form, I have nothing to do with my English..
I've seen university requirements and all they want from u is mainly 4s!
An 8 is an A* and to be getting that is great!
Hi all,
Third post. Hard work is great, but its not this which makes you succeed, its belief. its believing that your gonna get what you want, even before you have it, you can actually feel as though its right there in front of you.
A lot of the time, most of you will be so pumped up and ready to take on a challenge, but other days, you won't even bother with any of it. Like i said in my previous post, its not about motivation. its when you face adversity, and tough times fall on you, you still keep going and going and going. persevering even through the worst of it all, remembering what your goal is, and making sure that you will not quit. adversity can be different for all of us. it could be a serious problem at home, or the stress of school work, or it could be that when others start to notice your succeeding, they get jealous and try to say things that will intentionally bring you right down to the bottom. But you've gotta remember to keep going, and think differently to everyone else. if you really want something, your gonna have to be wired differently to everyone else - your gonna need a different mindset in order to reach your goal. remember greatness wasn't slapped on a plate for a selection of naturally talented individuals, they worked for it. its not something that only a few of us can choose - we all have it somewhere inside us, but until we find it and grab it with both hands, only then will we find success.
And as always,
thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
thank you so much for this x
Original post by clouddbubbles

Hey, im so sorry if i replied a little late, i had to take my dog out. thank you so much bro, thats great, i honestly thought that i would not get many replies, so thanks a lot. i guess i was quite disappointed in the sense that theres this girl at my school who always seems to brag and she got the highest by one mark. i think i found it quite irritating because i mean i dont care who got the highest (actually thats a lie,) its just that she always kinda puts others down. again thanks so much for all the positive things you've mentioned, i will keep posting, as well as on results day. i hope you do great to, an good luck if you have any exams.:smile:
Go on then😂
I could do with all the help possible. I think my biggest problem is that my predicted grades are all A's which keep making me feel down cause i have a feeling I won't get them..
Basically, I was predicted like 7 Cs and the rest Bs for GCSE but I worked hard and got 7 A /A* at the end with the rest Bs.. So not as smart as you but I kinda flipped my game. So I'm not a clever clever student but I managed to get appreciated results in my GCSEs... But in chemistry and biology now, I'm with all the nerds because chemistry is like one of the hardest Alevels 😭.. But I probably just need to keep trying my best and not get to down about the end result..
Thanks for your support anyways.. I appreciate it😊

Sarah, im so sorry for the late reply as i told cloudbubbles, i had to take my dog out yesterday and then fell asleep. Honestly, i thinks its absolutely great the results you got, and i hope you showed these results to anyone who doubted you or thought you were not smart. so i can help you basically to kinda adopt a similar style of revision to me. Well firstly, and this may seem stupid, is that your obviously a year 12 so your in college now. and im prety sure that like on a lot of days after college, even though your like super tired you will probs pick up a textbook and revise. i cant stress enough how bad this is. i mean dont orry cos i used to do the same. basically in order to get a good revision sesh, after colege maybe take a power nap for like half an hour (but im quite lazy and usually sleep for an hour.) honestly, the first time i did this, and then had a quick energy drink to wear off the sleepiness i was like so amazed at the amount of quality work that i did. it was great, and suddeny everything in the book started to make sense. if your tired your brain is not gonna process any of the info, so even if this is a little unorthodox compared to your revision tecnnique, just please maybe give it a try once. okay so thats the first tip. second tip. m a psychology student and one of the units we were learning was about memory. when we were studying this in class, we learned about different methods of processing info. the first one was repetition which im sure you have done. however, this started to get slightly tricky for me, especially as i had to remember about 300+ pages for bio, chem, and phys in like a year,if i wanted to get ahead of everyone in my year. so what we came across in psyche lesson was semantically processing. basically what this is, is instead of repeating crap over and over again, add meaning to it. this is very hard, but once you've hacked the skill, your basically einstein, and you will instantly remember the info straight away as your brain is storing something that is familiar and meaningful to you. when i hacked this skill, i was so impressed with myself, and its the most amazing thing in terms of revision. in case your not sure how to ad meaning to chunks of text, basically extract the important info and then turn this into pics or diagrams, and you will like thrash every cocky kid in your sixth form. sorry for talking too long and good luck:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, no probs bro, if you would like maybe every couple days i will keep posting stuff like this if thats gonna help you. maybe if you want, check out my other posts for gyg, and i rally wish you the best of luck if you have any exams:smile:
Sarah, im so sorry for the late reply as i told cloudbubbles, i had to take my dog out yesterday and then fell asleep. Honestly, i thinks its absolutely great the results you got, and i hope you showed these results to anyone who doubted you or thought you were not smart. so i can help you basically to kinda adopt a similar style of revision to me. Well firstly, and this may seem stupid, is that your obviously a year 12 so your in college now. and im prety sure that like on a lot of days after college, even though your like super tired you will probs pick up a textbook and revise. i cant stress enough how bad this is. i mean dont orry cos i used to do the same. basically in order to get a good revision sesh, after colege maybe take a power nap for like half an hour (but im quite lazy and usually sleep for an hour.) honestly, the first time i did this, and then had a quick energy drink to wear off the sleepiness i was like so amazed at the amount of quality work that i did. it was great, and suddeny everything in the book started to make sense. if your tired your brain is not gonna process any of the info, so even if this is a little unorthodox compared to your revision tecnnique, just please maybe give it a try once. okay so thats the first tip. second tip. m a psychology student and one of the units we were learning was about memory. when we were studying this in class, we learned about different methods of processing info. the first one was repetition which im sure you have done. however, this started to get slightly tricky for me, especially as i had to remember about 300+ pages for bio, chem, and phys in like a year,if i wanted to get ahead of everyone in my year. so what we came across in psyche lesson was semantically processing. basically what this is, is instead of repeating crap over and over again, add meaning to it. this is very hard, but once you've hacked the skill, your basically einstein, and you will instantly remember the info straight away as your brain is storing something that is familiar and meaningful to you. when i hacked this skill, i was so impressed with myself, and its the most amazing thing in terms of revision. in case your not sure how to ad meaning to chunks of text, basically extract the important info and then turn this into pics or diagrams, and you will like thrash every cocky kid in your sixth form. sorry for talking too long and good luck:smile:

Lol I was just in lesson and getting all these notifications. Loving the advise and if it actually works, that'll be better. I mean, who doesn't want a little nap after school😂
Today tho, I decided to stay an extra hour at school to revise but I'll sure try it some time soon!!!
Thanks again x
Lol I was just in lesson and getting all these notifications. Loving the advise and if it actually works, that'll be better. I mean, who doesn't want a little nap after school😂
Today tho, I decided to stay an extra hour at school to revise but I'll sure try it some time soon!!!
Thanks again x

Yh no probs sarah, remember if you need help im here if your struggling or need advicre, and yh you should deffo try it out some time. sorry if im bothering you in lesson i completely forgot, cos im on break for a week, and good luck for your revision sesh after school - remember to thrash those nerds:smile:
Yh no probs sarah, remember if you need help im here if your struggling or need advicre, and yh you should deffo try it out some time. sorry if im bothering you in lesson i completely forgot, cos im on break for a week, and good luck for your revision sesh after school - remember to thrash those nerds:smile:

Lol your like the only one who's gave me such good words of confidence.. And I don't even know you.
Thank you so much and don't worry, I didn't get distracted at all.. It was almost the end..
And made me smile😊..
Best of luck to you as well.. I know you'll do really really well!
Hi all,
post 4. i've noticed that some of you liked the inspirational posts that i did, and i have reassured you guys that i can keep doing normal posts as well as inspirational one's. i'm starting to get into this whole thing and i find it rather exciting talking to you guys about life and school work in general.
Not much going on guys, i mean i'm probably gonna do a bit of psychology revision after this, i have a test when i go back to school. as i mentioned before, im getting mock exam results and i will post when i get them.
I want to tell you guys something that my secondary school does every year. basically, every year they do something called an awards assembly where they only hand out certificates to students who have excelled in subject areas. they only do one real award called top boy and top girl which is like this real nice plaque type thing that has their names written on it. i mean i have always got certificates for stuff like psychology. but i have never got the top award which is a real bummer cos i like to think that i work hard. i mean they have given it to students who don't even revise too much, and brag sometimes. meanwhile, there is me who has never got the award and i never brag, but they always give the top awards to the same students, which is a shame, but i'm in my last year now, and i haven't thought much to it. i mean all i want now is to get my results and move on with life and everything. the reason i mention this is because every november, the school hands out GCSE certificates to the old year 11's. and when they do this (its called presentation evening,) they also give a headteachers award for excellence, and its the same kids who get it every year. this kid, always gets favoured, and school don't seem to realise the hard work that happens behind the curtains, which is a real shame. i have never got the headteachers award for excellence as you have probably gathered by now, i mean i have got it for english. but i don't really care too much for this now, as im prepared to get the highest possible grades in my year group, and illustrate to the entire school, what some quiet students do behind closed doors,
And as always,
Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Lol your like the only one who's gave me such good words of confidence.. And I don't even know you.
Thank you so much and don't worry, I didn't get distracted at all.. It was almost the end..
And made me smile😊..
Best of luck to you as well.. I know you'll do really really well!

yh, thanks a lot sarah, don't worry, just keep in contact and we can always talk about work life and stressful stuff, and i have confidence that as long as your revising, which is evident through your grades, that you will beat those nerds and get your goal. although we have never really mentioned to each other life ambitions and stuff, so when you get a spare minute, i'm happy to listen,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending