The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Unconditional if I put as firm?

I received an offer on Tuesday from York for 3 A's. I received an email today (from York) saying that if I put York as my firm they'll change the offer to unconditional.
However, in the UCAS track it does not mention the unconditional if firm thing.
Can someone please help?
Original post by reu_taylor
I received an offer on Tuesday from York for 3 A's. I received an email today (from York) saying that if I put York as my firm they'll change the offer to unconditional.
Can someone please help?

If you put it as your firm, York will change UCAS to unconditional - it wouldn’t be automatic, so UCAS won’t know anything about it, hence it’s not mentioned on Track. UCAS doesn’t support a conditional offer becoming unconditional only if firmed with its system, so York will update it to unconditional themselves if you do place them as your firm.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
If you put it as your firm, York will change UCAS to unconditional - it wouldn’t be automatic, so UCAS won’t know anything about it, hence it’s not mentioned on Track. UCAS doesn’t support a conditional offer becoming unconditional only if firmed with its system, so York will update it to unconditional themselves if you do place them as your firm.

Thanks! That's very helpful :smile:

I'm applying for PPE btw
Can someone please help?

What @doctorwhofan98 said is right.

However, do give it some intense thought as to why York is giving you an unconditional, and really think if it's the right choice for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
What @doctorwhofan98 said is right.

However, do give it some intense thought as to why York is giving you an unconditional, and really think if it's the right choice for you.

What do you mean by "give thought as to why York is giving me an unconditional" please? Not trying to sound rude - genuinely interested
Reply 5

I'm applying for PPE btw

Just to add on to what @Blue_Cow said, if you firm York, then that means you've taken a contract to go there once you get your A-level results. Obviously, they can't force you to go there but accepting an unconditional offer is a big commitment, so think over it before declining or accepting it.
Reply 6
What do you mean by "give thought as to why York is giving me an unconditional" please? Not trying to sound rude - genuinely interested

They're not doing it for your best interests - they're doing it because they want more students. This is just a form of advertising, designed to encourage applicants to choose York as their firm. This doesn't benefit you in any way, and actually limits your options as it means you're unable to use Adjustment.

Picking them will effectively lock you in with them unless you want to take a bet on results day and enter clearing, meaning you'll have to forfeit your university place to go to another (should you wish to).

You are a money sack to universities. They get that sweet 9250 loan money + govt subsidies per student.
Reply 8
Cheers guys all very helpful stuff! Oxford is the dream for me so waiting to hear back from them (following from today's TSA test and other factors etc) whether I get an interview. I am also planning to visit York to try discover as much as possible.
I have a more optimistic view. Yes, York get certainty on a good student taking a place, and the student gets certainty over their future and can plan accordingly. There is only a problem if you accept an uncond at a uni you really don’t want to go. (You still need to do well at A level cos employers will use those grades in their selection process). Yes it limits using adjustment if you smash your grades, but York is a good uni and I doubt the PPE courses at higher tariff unis will have space come August.
Reply 10
Original post by Mancmike300
I have a more optimistic view. Yes, York get certainty on a good student taking a place, and the student gets certainty over their future and can plan accordingly. There is only a problem if you accept an uncond at a uni you really don’t want to go. (You still need to do well at A level cos employers will use those grades in their selection process). Yes it limits using adjustment if you smash your grades, but York is a good uni and I doubt the PPE courses at higher tariff unis will have space come August.

You might have a more optimistic view, but you're new to TSR. You haven't seen how many students post on TSR saying that they were swayed by the marketing, and are now locked into an offer they don't want and wouldn't have taken if it wasn't unconditional.

I'm applying for PPE btw

As other posters have said, don't accept York's offer just because it's unconditional. Accept it only if you'd accept it anyway. For example, I got an unconditional-if-firm from Birmingham, but I chose my conditional offer from York because I preferred the uni. I completely recommend York (I study Politics here and it's great, particularly our Careers service), but don't firm it because of the unconditional, and don't be tempted by that: only firm it if it's your highest choice as otherwise it'd be a long three years.
could I ask what your predicted grades are if that's okay?
Can someone please help?
look like you still need to do your A kevel exam .thats amzing if they offer you unconditional
Original post by liaqat97
look like you still need to do your A kevel exam .thats amzing if they offer you unconditional

Ummm, that was 6 years ago...
Original post by ageshallnot
Ummm, that was 6 years ago...

just noticed. 🤣
Can someone please help?

Hello, I've just asked admissions and will let you know what they say :smile:
Original post by University of York
Hello, I've just asked admissions and will let you know what they say :smile:

They're going to think you're... A little out of date? As I pointed out above, this thread is 6 years old.
Can someone please help?

Hello, I've received a reply from admissions:

They can make us CF without hearing from their other institutions but this means that they will have to withdraw their application from those pending institutions. This is because you have to make your firm, insurance, decline decision at the same time, so you withdraw in place of declining.

It is up to the individual if they wish to do this but we are happy if they want to wait to get all their offers back first.

Admissions are a lovely team if you ever want to contact them with questions.
Original post by University of York
Hello, I've received a reply from admissions:
They can make us CF without hearing from their other institutions but this means that they will have to withdraw their application from those pending institutions. This is because you have to make your firm, insurance, decline decision at the same time, so you withdraw in place of declining.

It is up to the individual if they wish to do this but we are happy if they want to wait to get all their offers back first.
Admissions are a lovely team if you ever want to contact them with questions.

It's never a bad idea to read the whole thread before getting involved...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending