The Student Room Group

Wearing Glasses Without Having Bad Eyes

I was thinking of wearing glasses to make me look smarter/more sophisticated. Is this frowned upon if you have good eyes, like above 20:20 vision and no need for glasses? Also, when I buy them it asks for a prescription, I obviously dont have one so what would I fill in?

These are the glasses I wanted
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wear glasses even though I don't need them bc I think they're cute :h:

Do whatever you want, it doesn't matter.
I really can't understand why anyone would do this. I would love to be able to see without my glasses on.
firstly you cant have above 20:20 vision. Secondly ray bands are crap. Thirdly, you are ignorant if you think glasses make you smarter. Lastly, Its up to you.
it is kind of cultural appropriation, but not of the worst kind :dontknow:
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
I really can't understand why anyone would do this. I would love to be able to see without my glasses on.

I just look like a bit of a dumbo and it would suit all the vintage clothes I wear!
i always wanted glasses too even though my eye sight is fine
Reply 7
Original post by TheYearNiner
firstly you cant have above 20:20 vision. Secondly ray bands are crap. Thirdly, you are ignorant if you think glasses make you smarter. Lastly, Its up to you.

My bad, I got up to 20:20 on the test but found it still quite easy.
Original post by Anonymous
While it may be (ever so slightly) morally wrong - it isn't in my book anyway. Spare a thought for people like me who has -10 precription both eyes with astigmatism so bad that contact lens makers don't even make lens for folks like me...

God bless you and hopefully you get cured of the severe astigmatism.
firstly you cant have above 20:20 vision.

You can. The sixth line is 20/20. (or 6/6 in UK) And there's more than 6 lines on the eye chart.
Original post by the bear
it is kind of cultural appropriation, but not of the worst kind :dontknow:

Lol you're so silly
Original post by ManaPigs
I was thinking of wearing glasses to make me look smarter/more sophisticated. Is this frowned upon if you have good eyes, like above 20:20 vision and no need for glasses? Also, when I buy them it asks for a prescription, I obviously dont have one so what would I fill in?

Get fake glasses.
I wear glasses and wish I didn't have too.. It's such a pain, like I can't lie down or do sports or anything where something is being thrown in the air. I hate it

Seems a bit silly to me and I guess some people who need glasses may find it annoying, but whatever. I would assume you just say "none" to the prescription option. I'm sure you could phone a helpline or something to check.
Original post by Anonymous
While it may be (ever so slightly) morally wrong - it isn't in my book anyway. Spare a thought for people like me who has -10 precription both eyes with astigmatism so bad that contact lens makers don't even make lens for folks like me...

As an optometrist I can tell you that there are many tailor-made contact lenses to fit your prescription, they will be much pricier, but still there are.

Original post by Tiger Rag

Me neither, after working in several optical shops I got used to that type of people. At first it would even hurt me... now I'm completely fine with them, but still think it is silly.

You can order them with Plano (0.00) presctiption and anti-reflective coating they will look like real glasses.

1. You can have above 6/6 vision, if a person can see from 6 meters what the norm says should be seen only from 4 they have better than 6/6 (or 20/20) vision. It is almost never tested because it is not really important if someone has better vision for distance unless they have a problem focusing at near distances.

2. RayBans are one of the worst (if not THE worst) Luxotica brand nowadays. There are some Chinese no brand glasses way better than RayBans
You could just write -0.25 or something cuz that won’t make too much difference but wear them as little as possible ie not around the house and you’ll be fine
get fake ones - wearing prescription glasses when you don't really need them could cause you to start relying on them, therefore needing glasses and ruining your eyesight. sure, wear them for fashion, but get ones with plain lenses
Reply 17
i have a friend who has glasses without a prescription and i think it's funny.
Reply 18
Original post by Kathy89
As an optometrist I can tell you that there are many tailor-made contact lenses to fit your prescription, they will be much pricier, but still there are.

Me neither, after working in several optical shops I got used to that type of people. At first it would even hurt me... now I'm completely fine with them, but still think it is silly.

You can order them with Plano (0.00) presctiption and anti-reflective coating they will look like real glasses.

1. You can have above 6/6 vision, if a person can see from 6 meters what the norm says should be seen only from 4 they have better than 6/6 (or 20/20) vision. It is almost never tested because it is not really important if someone has better vision for distance unless they have a problem focusing at near distances.

2. RayBans are one of the worst (if not THE worst) Luxotica brand nowadays. There are some Chinese no brand glasses way better than RayBans

Ray Bans look sooooo cool though.
Reply 19
Original post by Kathy89

Apparently I can order 'fashion lens' but theres no mention of any coating.

Quick Reply

Latest