The Student Room Group

Poll: In your opinion, how is the world as we know it going to end?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iodo345
I try to explain this to people but they either oblivious to issues or think that everything will be normal in the next 30 years or so yet looking at current trends there is cause for concern.

I think a lot of people are brainwashed tbh and until problems effect their daily life they will remain oblivious.

I've heard some say we are living in the 1930's.

ie we are living in a period of mass unemployment, social problems (extremism etc) and there are parallels between now in history and 1930

Would you agree with this?

To be honest you could draw many similarites between the 1930s and present day, the economic hardship and uncertainty (especially in Britain, following Brexit result), Communites seem to becoming more and more divided and suspicious over certain issues, etc..

To think that the next 30 years or so will run smoothly is a bit naive in my opinon. We just have to try to be as rational as possible with our thought and politcs.
Original post by iodo345

we are living in a period of mass unemployment,

The unemployment rate is lower than it has been for forty-two years, so no.
Original post by Good bloke

Yeah if you include ridiculous zero hour contracts and 9 hours a week contracts.

TBH the unemployment rate has been altered by the government and isn't actually 4.8% or whatever it is now.

There is a few articles that explain this on the internet written by economists etc.

Apparently it doesn't include those who have become self employed, given up looking for work, on zero hour contracts etc

So in reality it isn't as low as what the figures suggest particularly after 2008.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
To be honest you could draw many similarites between the 1930s and present day, the economic hardship .

You compare today with economic hardship in the 1930s? Unemployment then reached 25% (4.3% now), per capita GDP at 1990 prices was £5,000 (£25,000 now). Really?
Probably due to missing punctuation.
You compare today with economic hardship in the 1930s? Unemployment then reached 25% (4.3% now), per capita GDP at 1990 prices was £5,000 (£25,000 now). Really?

Yeah the key here is similiar, I'm not saying that it is to the extent that it was in the 1930s, however when you have a growing number of people using food banks, in work poverty, 1 in 7 children going to school hungry and increasing population of people living ono the streets then it is clear to me that we are a country in economic hardship. Something which will proably get worse after Brexit.

You can use padded stats as much as you want.
Antibiotic resistance could be a big problem. I read something yesterday saying how by 2050 it'll kill as many people as cancer.
I would like to point out that overpopulation alone can't cause the world to end. It can push up the death rate, but then that solves the problem. Really overpopulation should be grouped with climate change since the former greatly aggravates the latter.
To be honest you could draw many similarites between the 1930s and present day, the economic hardship and uncertainty (especially in Britain, following Brexit result), Communites seem to becoming more and more divided and suspicious over certain issues, etc..

To think that the next 30 years or so will run smoothly is a bit naive in my opinon. We just have to try to be as rational as possible with our thought and politcs.

Yeah I can see big changes with Brexit. I think this mass immigration issue will over spill and could lead to unrest. I think the past 12-18 months was a bit tense where there was Brexit, Trump, terror attacks in UK and this mass immigration into Europe which divided a lot of people.

I think people will wake up to the uncertainty but too late.
It will end a long time after we all do.
Our computers turn against us and kill us.
Original post by the bear
Snowflake Apocalypse: hordes of whiny millennials take over and bore everyone to death.

If you think this was funny, the fact that someone of your age is still on this site is much much funnier.
It'll be a gradual destruction of the world's ecosystem until life becomes impossible to live in given the conditions. It'll be very gradual and we will suffer.

It'd really take a major breakthrough in science for this to not happen. Whether it's by solar geoengineering or as a race we colonise another planet (Mars, most likely).
I would say absorption by the sun in some 7.5 billion years. I don't actually think there's any serious threat to the world, the world has faced and overcome the worst of it IMO.

I would say the most likely cause, should it happen would be a disease/plague.

I don't think overpopulation will ever be a serious issue, the population in (essentially) every first and second world country is declining rapidly. When the 3rd world countries gain access to modern technology and their economies pick up, their population will also start to fall, and I would think the birthrate for such countries will also drop below replacement (2.0)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependencies_by_total_fertility_rate
Reply 35
Exactly, something is definitely brewing.

Yep, I would agree that tension throughout the world is rising
Disease outbreak or Yellowstone exploding I thinn
Reply 37
What about Blight?
Original post by NBingham
Yep
Yep - but not for a few hundred years

What despite the fact that Yellowstone is showing many signs of gearing up for a big eruption. my moneys on within the next 50 years or so as it is i don't think a super volcano will wipe us out we survived Lake Toba we survived Taupo we survived Aira Caldera and we can Survive these other ones BTW Volconiglists say the next one to blow it's to could be Long vally in the USA in as little as a few years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending