The Student Room Group

Don't know WTF to do in life

Hi,

I seriously don't know WTF to do in life. Seriously. I am 24, single, unemployed and literally have no friends.

I am not sure what career path to take in life as I believe I am too young and inexperienced to say so. I am also struggling to get a new job or go where I want to in life. I've got a FIRST CLASS HONOURS DEGREE in a Computing discipline. I've worked for the fifth largest employer in the world! I've also worked for one of the largest financial companies in the UK! And yet, no employer can see potential in me! I've literally given up - even though all my mates and family keep telling me not to.

I literally went for a job interview two weeks ago. Had like 3 interviews on the same day - two with two different hiring managers and one with HR. I felt that I didn't really get along with one of them well in the interview and also felt the place may have been a bit "high end" for me. Anyways, a job is a job and seeing as it was close to home I felt that it was ideally a good place to be in my current situation.

At the end of the interview day, the HR contact told me that I would definitely hear back from them a week on from the interview. It has now been 2 weeks and they haven't got back to me! I also asked another applicant if they had heard back to which they have said no. They never responded back to my thank you email that I had sent out on the same day after the interview.

The thing is, usually with job interviews that I have been to in the past I have always known after a week especially ones that hired me. I've got a feeling that the HR at this company is really really bad and unprofessional. But I need a job bad and know that if I get offered it - it will boost me personally and professionally.

Thinking if I have been rejected and whether I should just call them up myself?
I wouldn't call them up yet as it may seem unprofessional on your part, they might have a lot of applications to go through
Reply 2
Original post by rleah1998
I wouldn't call them up yet as it may seem unprofessional on your part, they might have a lot of applications to go through

Really? Well it was very unprofessional of them to [a] not respond to my "thank you" email and not keep to their word on getting back to me either way last week
Original post by wa5ted
Really? Well it was very unprofessional of them to [a] not respond to my "thank you" email and not keep to their word on getting back to me either way last week

wouldn't call it unprofessional on your part for asking whats up, especially since its been a week since u expected a call-ask them again
Yeah this is sadly the reality of the job market out there. It's tough but don't give up.

Be more open to applying for roles you may have not been too keen on before (beggars can't be choosers). It takes a bit of perseverance.
Original post by wa5ted
Hi,

I seriously don't know WTF to do in life. Seriously. I am 24, single, unemployed and literally have no friends.

I am not sure what career path to take in life as I believe I am too young and inexperienced to say so. I am also struggling to get a new job or go where I want to in life. I've got a FIRST CLASS HONOURS DEGREE in a Computing discipline. I've worked for the fifth largest employer in the world! I've also worked for one of the largest financial companies in the UK! And yet, no employer can see potential in me! I've literally given up - even though all my mates and family keep telling me not to.

I literally went for a job interview two weeks ago. Had like 3 interviews on the same day - two with two different hiring managers and one with HR. I felt that I didn't really get along with one of them well in the interview and also felt the place may have been a bit "high end" for me. Anyways, a job is a job and seeing as it was close to home I felt that it was ideally a good place to be in my current situation.

At the end of the interview day, the HR contact told me that I would definitely hear back from them a week on from the interview. It has now been 2 weeks and they haven't got back to me! I also asked another applicant if they had heard back to which they have said no. They never responded back to my thank you email that I had sent out on the same day after the interview.

The thing is, usually with job interviews that I have been to in the past I have always known after a week especially ones that hired me. I've got a feeling that the HR at this company is really really bad and unprofessional. But I need a job bad and know that if I get offered it - it will boost me personally and professionally.

Thinking if I have been rejected and whether I should just call them up myself?

"Hey, my name is X and I had an interview for a job position but haven't heard anything back yet! I was wondering if there's anything else I need to provide or just how my application is doing"

Literally keep trying, keep pushing and pushing and being slightly "annoying" and pushy so that they have to give you an answer eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending